The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's it, but I bought it used from KEH for less than half that price -- like $390 or so IIRC for an EXC-. Also, it is light enough I personally do not need the tripod shoe. VR is nice, but again, I don't need it for most of what I shoot this lens with, even when hand-holding. Or stated differently, I don't appreciate the weight of the 70-200/2.8 VR or the loss of a stop for the f4 version -- but admit that *IF* I shot this focal range more frequently, I would probably opt for the 70-200/4 VR lens. But then at 1/3rd the price, this lens does just fine for me ;)
+1 Haven't bought it yet, but it's tremendous value second hand at a quarter of the price of the more flexible 70-200mm f/4. It also works well with my Tamron 1.4x TC. Would be interesting to try it out with the Nikkor 20TC III.

Swissblad

And available April 20, maybe just in time for spring desert wildflowers :D

Or possibly a week too late :(
What is the close focus limit…. as my 150mm Macro is being serviced I'l looking of an interim alternative….;)

JCT

At that price I'm really glad I held out on ordering the Nikon counterpart or the new 20mm f1.8
I was thinking the exact same thing, usually an announcement like this comes out the week after I buy something else. And I had been unable to convince myself to go with the new 20mm f1.8 ...

Agree with everyone else, if it is anywhere as good as my 35mm ART then I will get one.

jlancasterd

I'd expected this to be announced during Photokina and was disappointed when it wasn't.

I Just put in a pre-order at Cambrian Photography…

Swissblad

I was thinking the exact same thing, usually an announcement like this comes out the week after I buy something else. And I had been unable to convince myself to go with the new 20mm f1.8 ...

Agree with everyone else, if it is anywhere as good as my 35mm ART then I will get one.
I was tempted by the new 20mm f1.8, but, I never put my old 20mm to good use…too wide for most of my needs - the new 24mm f1,4 on the other hand seems perfect…. curious to read 1st reports.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks like a sweet deal. Can possibly replace 20 as well as 28mm for me (although I'll probably keep the AiS versions) and under half the price of the Nikkor.

Lightleak

If Sigma manages to get the centering right, I will be very interested in this lens.
What I am not keen on is to go through 5 or 6 different lenses to find one that is equally sharp on both sides of the frame on the D800e. :(

Still, this procedure was absolutely worth it with Sigmas 35mm 1.4 Art -
so even then I might be in for it. Not many great + affordable wide-angle alternatives out there for the D800e...

Curious to test it when it's available. :thumbup:

D

Deleted member 7792

B&H is quoting April 20, but I expect it will be available sooner. Hope so.

Joe

Steve P.

I still hold out hope for Nikon to bring an f1.8 version of similar quality to the rest of their f1.8 g primes to the market. The ONLY downside for me to the Sigma Art range is the size/weight/speed trade off vs the Nikkors. But if you want f1.4 then Sigma's kicking Nikon's and everyone else's a** with these. :)

trioderob

here is what I don't understand.

in the 20-24 range wont most of you guys use a lens for landscape/ seascape etc.....

why do you need such a fast lens

it seem like a slow lens optimized for infinity would be more useful

??????

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

in the 20-24 range wont most of you guys use a lens for landscape/ seascape etc.....

??????
Actually, any lens optimized for 50 meters or further and outstanding at f4 would be awesome. The reality is, at least in 35 and 50, nothing is as good as the ART lenses at f4 through f8, at least for Nikon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

??????
I don't know about others, but I mostly use my WA lenses for industrial photography, sometimes at old, badly lit plants with little space for a tripod.

Paul2660

The reviews of this lens show it has considerable coma in the corners, from F1.4 to up to F 3.2. I had hoped to see the same lack of coma that the Sigma 35mm 1.4 has.

The bokeh also seems very worried to me. But those are just from some sample web shots.

The coma issue was a killer for me. I had really hoped this lens would be a night photography wonder.

See review from lenstip.com

Sigma A 24 mm f/1.4 DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Paul

Last edited: