The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Zeiss 21mm is a classic and very good but it does have a mustache distortion that your going to have to deal with in post. The Zeiss 25 F2 is also killer wide.

JCT

The Zeiss 21mm is a classic and very good but it does have a mustache distortion that your going to have to deal with in post. The Zeiss 25 F2 is also killer wide.
Good point - no free lunch when it comes to lenses (especially for the D810). That's a good point re the 25mm Zeiss, Last trip I ended up with quite a few shots at 24, might work for me.

bensonga

For what it's worth, Lloyd Chambers' review is very positive re the Sigma 24/1.4 Art, just as it was for the 35 & 50.

As tested on a D810, his conclusion posted today was:
"This is a first class performance, with little to criticize. There can be no doubt that this is the finest autofocus 24mm lens for Nikon or Canon available as of mid 2015. That it is an f/1.4 design is even more impressive."

"Will Zeiss deliver an Otus in this range? That is likely the requirement to clearly beat the results seen here."

Just received my copy yesterday, so perhaps I'll have some samples to share soon (with the D800e).

Gary

NotXorc

I REALLY like the 25 F2 as well. It is a chunky/stout lens and if you don't need AF or fast 1.4 light-gathering, then it might just do the job. Here's a screengrab from LR of an image taken this morning. f/8 on D810. The diagonal line at lower right is flare from the sun, which was just out of frame. It probably could have been eliminated by shielding with my hand. Be aware of field curvature at wider apertures.

NotXorc

"Will Zeiss deliver an Otus in this range? That is likely the requirement to clearly beat the results seen here."

Just received my copy yesterday, so perhaps I'll have some samples to share soon (with the D800e).

Gary
I'd wish for something from Zeiss that keeps the same speed (or even slower!) and form factor, but improves flatness of field and has better correction of the outer 1/3. Otus = large.
Enjoy your new Sigma; it looks very competent!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Depending on ones needs, a Zeiss 18/25 combo is obviously an alternative to the 21. I'd managed to forget that. I'll see if I can forget it again, to avoid stressing my wallet more than necessary ;)

bensonga

Just a few quick shots on my way to the office this morning. Gray and overcast here, but at least the inch of snow we got overnight had already melted away. I apologize for the subject matter, nothing very photogenic in this area of Anchorage. Maybe I can get a shot of the rock sculptures in front of the office building where I work later today.

Gary

D800e and the Sigma 24/1.4 Art lens. ISO 200 and f8

bensonga

I took a break from work and met a friend for coffee a short while ago. He also shoots with a D800e and has the Sigma 35/1.4 Art lens, so of course he wanted to check out the 24. He likes to shoot close and wide open. The lens was just inches away from this cup. ISO 200, f1.4 at 1/1250th second. Bright sun streaming in from the window on the left.

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually looks very good -- can you post some corner center and crops at 100%?

bensonga

Actually looks very good -- can you post some corner center and crops at 100%?
Will do Jack. From which image would you like to see the crops? These were all hand held, but for now at least, these are the only examples I have.

Gary

bensonga

I took a gamble and went with the shot of the mural. This image was converted from the Raw file with ACR and very minimal processing in PS6. No sharpening was applied to these 100% crops. Photo was shot hand held, ISO 200, 1/200th at f8 with a D800e. Autofocus indicator/confirmation was on the "Customer Parking Only" sign.

Center 100% crop

Left Upper 100% crop

Left Lower 100% crop

Right Upper 100% crop

Right Lower 100% crop

bensonga

Keep in mind that this mural was probably spray painted on the concrete cinder block wall at least 4 years ago and so the painting itself is probably not a good test of sharpness and acutance.

Gary

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Gary, these are great, and do show what I wanted to see. Lens is back on my acquire list -- at least to test it for a few months for my self :thumbs:

One way to visualize curvature, would be to look at the lower LH or RH corner of the shot you took of the corner of the building -- assuming you focused at the corner or slightly into the frame. In those, the foreground is closer enough to the camera to see if/how field curvature may present in the pavement detail. My guess is this lens will have a pretty significant amount in those last 3 or 4 mm of image frame corner where it started to look soft in the "flat" wall shot...

The coffee cup shot is also telling -- excellent bokeh with really nice transition into the oof areas!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've deleted the full-size JPEG (and the Web-size JPEG) because they are not representative of what the lens is capable of. The sample was a LR conversion, not an in-camera JPEG. I don't use C1 or NX for reasons I can elaborate on in another thread.
Joe, no need to have deleted, your web jpeg looked great! Once you said "LR jpeg" I was already suspicious that could be the -- or part of the -- cause of what I was seeing, and why I asked how it was generated. (Not sure why, but my experience is LR does not do a very good job with high frequency detail. It may be part of an automated sharpening they apply or ??? What's ironic is that Photoshop does a great job -- you'd think it would be the same conversion engine in LR...)

Please put the image back up, I think folks will appreciate seeing it!

D

Deleted member 7792

Gary did a far better job than I did in showing what the lens is capable of. From my point of view, it's on par with the other two Art lenses. It will stay in my kit.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Joe, no need to have deleted, your web jpeg looked great! Once you said "LR jpeg" I was already suspicious that could be the -- or part of the -- cause of what I was seeing, and why I asked how it was generated. (Not sure why, but my experience is LR does not do a very good job with high frequency detail. It may be part of an automated sharpening they apply or ??? What's ironic is that Photoshop does a great job -- you'd think it would be the same conversion engine in LR...)

Please put the image back up, I think folks will appreciate seeing it!
LOL! No worries. If you've ever been to NC, you know that we're a "high frequency detail" paradise. Even our mountains are full of high frequency detail. It's hard to get away from it and some people get claustrophobic, especially if they've moved here from the desert Southwest.

Anyway, here's a shot from today. This time, I turned off the Detail panel in LR, i.e., no sharpening, did the following adjustments in the Basic panel in LR, and had LR generate a full-sized JPEG (with no sharpening applied). No adjustments in the LR Lens Corrections panel because LR doesn't have a profile for this lens (yet). Rain clouds were moving in and there was a slight breeze. This was hand-held. Focus was on the forsythia (yellow shrubs) in the foreground. EXIF is in the border.

Link to full-size JPEG

And a link to a full-size JPEG with my LR "Tim Ashley Recipe" sharpening applied. Probably too "crunchy" for this lens.

As you can see, Spring is showing its colors here in central NC. This is a beautiful time of year, and I look forward to getting a lot of use from the Sigma 24mm Art.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

bensonga

There was some discussion of the Nikon AF-S 20/1.8G lens earlier in this thread, as an alternative to the Sigma 24/1.4 Art. I happen to have this Nikon lens in my camera bag also. Today, when I passed by that same "Pete's Tobacco Shop" building, I took some pics of the painted mural with the 20/1.8G lens. Similar overcast light as the photos I took on Sunday. If anyone is interested, I could post similar 100% crops from the Nikon lens here.

Gary