The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24mm, I was kind of hoping for this

bensonga

Gary, I would love to see those crops. I own the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G also, and it's no slouch. My dilemma is which to keep. Or both?

Joe
I think keeping both is the correct answer Joe. But then, I'm of the school that says you can never have too many good lenses. :)

D&A

I think keeping both is the correct answer Joe. But then, I'm of the school that says you can never have too many good lenses. 😉
Agree, one can never have too many good lenses but at the same time may end up with too little food in the cupboard. :).

Gary, looking forward to your comparitive shots with the Sigma 24 and Nikon 20.

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Agree, one can never have too many good lenses but at the same time may end up with too little food in the cupboard. :).

Dave (D&A)
LOL.....I could stand to lose a few pounds and inches around the waistline, so perhaps a little less food (or wine) in the cupboard and more good glass in the camera bag is a solution. Not sure my wife will accept that rationale, but it might be worth a try. :ROTFL:

Gary

bensonga

any way you can take a image on tripod with mirror lock up - maybe f8 ?
cable release and iso 100 also
thanks
Tripod, cable release, mirror lock up and ISO 100....darn, I missed it. Too late for my shots, but maybe someone else here can contribute comparison shots with better techniques than mine.

I did shoot the following images at f8, so I got it 20% right, just by chance! :eek:

Gary

bensonga

And here they are, for what's it worth. Nikon D800e, Nikon AF-S 20mm f1.8G lens. Shot hand held, ISO 200, 1/250th at f8. Converted from Raw in ACR, minimal processing in PS and no sharpening applied to the 100% crops. I tried to get the framing as close as I could to the Sigma 24/1.4 shots above....but at 61, my memory for precise details isn't as good as it once was (and truth be told, it was never that good).

Gary

Full image

Center 100% crop

Left Upper 100% crop

Left Lower 100% crop

Right Upper 100% crop

Right Lower 100% crop

Last edited:

Harry

Hi Ben, Images look great! Slight edge to the Sigma, but that could be the handheld variance.

I think what we really need is a tripod mounted side by side comparison...same light...same distance.

Hope you have nothing better to do. We need the facts:D

Thanks for your post's.

Still trying to figure out which one to get

Steve P.

For me 20mm is a very different focal length to 24mm in how I use it and think about it. 24mm seems to be about as wide a general purpose wide angle as I'd like and 20mm is for getting closer into the detail in a more selective way. I find it hard to make 20mm work for me in general use. At the moment I have a 20mm and a 28mm but if I think about 24mm then it's the 28 that I'd be looking to replace before the 20. I guess it's all just a mindset thing at the end of the day.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Gary!

Have to say I'm surprised at how little difference there is between them! Sigma edges out slightly at center, but Nikon edges out slightly at corners. And then the difference is minimal anyway -- to the point it isn't going to matter for most applications.

Has me thinking that since I already have the 28, I may just skip the 24 and goto the 20. The 24 is such a useful landscape focal, but I do own a very good copy of the 24PC-E so am really pretty well set. Love the ART's bokeh though. Decisions, decisions. May just spring for both.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like to see the Zeiss 25 F2 against this lens. It was better than Nikons 24 when I had it back when.

bensonga

I made a set of 13x19 inch prints of the Pete's Tobacco Shop mural (above), shot with both the Sigma 24/1.4 Art and the Nikon 20/1.8G lenses tonight. Gotta say...they both look great, but both my wife and I give the Sigma print top honors. I also made a large print of the coffee cup image above (shot with the Sigma)...the color, bokeh etc is beautiful.

That Sigma is definitely a keeper. Now I just need to get out and put it to better use! :)

Gary

Swissblad

Gary, enjoy your toys.

I'll be looking closely at the 24mm ART….. and look forward to you updates.

jlancasterd

Collected my pre-order this morning from Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay. Initial impressions are that this lens balances nicely on the D810 even without a battery grip and focussing speed is more than adequate for my kind of photography.

Arne Hvaring

I've had the Sigma ART 24mm for some days and my experience has been somewhat mixed. After a little work calibrating AF on the D810 using the Sigma dock (it was way off), I find a rather undulating field of sharpness at or near infinity. This causes some parts of the image in the B region to become moderately blurry at wider apertures. Mostly gone by f5,6, but needs really f8 to be eliminated. Near the edges I find a pronounced curvature of field with the plane of focus moving strongly towards the camera. This is a rather common fault.

It is possible to get reasonably sharp edge to edge results at distance by focusing a bit beyond the sharpest point in the center of the image, thus dragging the edges outward. DOF takes care of the rest. But again, f8 is required for best results.
Obviously these results apply to my sample so take it FWIW.
All in all a good, but hardly great 24mm.
Btw. I have the 2/25mm Distagon ZF2, might compare the two when time permits.

jlancasterd

I have just downloaded the standalone version of Lightroom 6 and can confirm that there is a profile for this lens in the catalogue. I've applied it to several of the photos I have recently taken with this lens and it seems to work very well indeed.