The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 180mm f2.8 macro….?

Swissblad

Does anybody have any experience with this lens….. at 1.6kg's it's a monster - but a macro with f2.8 and 180mm focal length is interesting - to say the least….

Thanks for any info….;)

Tex

Subscriber Member
Yes I bought a new one last year - IMO a marginal lens - was able to unload it after a month - the Nikon 200mm macro is far superior - just my opinion

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is an older Nikon dedicated macro tele zoom -- I'm pretty sure it was a 70-180, and it was slow, like f4.5 and that was its nit. Not a regular zoom, but a dedicated macro, 2-touch zoom lens they made for only a few years. It was expensive at the time, but offered great flexibility. I only ever borrowed one and shot it on film, but remember thinking it was excellent -- and especially for its ability to frame after set up -- though pricey, and I'd have bought one at that time if I'd been shooting more macro. Might be worth a dig to find and try one out..

Swissblad

Thanks Jack - the Nikon Macro zoom is very scarce these days and sells for exorbitant prices on E-bay..... I was really interested in the f2.8 aspect of the Sigma lens.... ;)

Rumors has it that Nikon is working on a new 200mm micro - so it pay to sit tight and wait.

:rolleyes: