The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide dilemma

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The shallower hyperfocal range of the Zeiss may be a side effect for their way of creating what is frequently called a "3D look", something about the focus falloff.

My most important reason for buying the Nikkor 20mm would be night photography wide open as well, but since apertures below (and including?) f/2.8 don't seem to work that well, it's kind of off my list. Tactile feel when focusing manually is also very important for me.

The Sigma is a different animal apparently, and might become the "Queen of the Night". Only one review only so far, and while it's sharper than the competition (Canon and Nikon) at large apertures, it also suffers from coma in the corners.

Sigma A 24 mm f/1.4 DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

I'm leaning in the direction of the Zeiss 21 for now, plus Samyang for 14mm. It's a relatively safe bet, and it's hard to lose money on the Zeiss. I might actually aim for a complete Zeiss lineup, 21/35/85/135 or something in that direction. That will be costly, but I have time :)

Paul2660

Jorgen.

Thanks for that review. The coma is bad Classic butterfly wings. I will pass on this one and may now have a look at the 35mm as it looks like getting a coma less 24 fast lens is a dream.

Paul

trioderob

I just got a Zeiss 21mm Z.2 brand new retail with warranty, box , papers from a AD for $1350

they were despirate to move it

took this image last night

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

One strange thing about the Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 ZF is that it seems to be nearly as sharp wide open as it is stopped down.
Rather unusual.

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D610 • Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21mm ZF • 1/1250 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Conclusion:
After all the input and discussions with other photographers, I've been leaning towards the Zeiss 21, and was scheduled to try Steen's copy in Copenhagen later this month. Then, a couple of days ago, I went for a cup of coffee at my pusher's. He doesn't sell Zeiss on a regular basis, but when I mentioned my thoughts to him, a big smile came up on his face while telling me that another victim had left his 21mm ZF.2 for sale, as he didn't need it with his newly acquired Sony.

So off I went, into the local market with the 21 on my camera to do a few test shots. That didn't take long, and if I had the slightest doubt, that disappeared quickly as soon as I got to see the results on my monitor. It's in a class of its own. Totally sharp with vivid colours across the frame at all apertures. Beautiful bokeh when used close up. A bit large and heavy, but the Martini glass style makes it slide nicely into my little bag. Flares a bit when taking photos directly into the sun, but nothing that I can't live with.

I discovered another thing as well: when taking a photo with the sun in the frame and another part of the photo in dark shadow at ISO 64, I can actually pull details in the sky as well as in the shadow, several stops in each direction using ACR. No need for bracketing/HDR. Great stuff :thumbup:

I'll give it another couple of days to be on the safe side, but this looks like a done deal. Thank you everyone for your participation.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I did try the Tamron 15-30 also while I was out shopping. It exceeded my expectation by being both larger and heavier than I had imagined. I never thought the D810 would feel compact, but it did with that lens attached. I might buy one later if work dictates, but it's not something I would like to haul around while travelling, neither on or off the camera.

I asked the people in the shop if they had received any feedback from users yet. They had, and it was kind of 50/50. Image quality is apparently stellar, but many of those who use it think it's too large as well.

JCT

Jorgen,

Looking forward to a review of the Zeiss, can't get that lens out of my mind, no matter how hard I try!

trioderob

one thing about the 21 that is the kind of lens where after purchase you feel like its "never sell " piece of glass.

maybe its the steel construction, the coatings are first rate and i have read technical discussions written by Zeiss optical engineers, where they really touched on the importance of the coatings -to properly correct to bring the lens close to being apo quality.

I guess the 135 is the only true "apo" but the other lens are close.

so in other words even tho its a landscape lens for the most part it still will do crazy accurate floral images which have "pop" kind of like the Nikon 200 F4 micro. (another fantastic lens)

one thing with the 21 is that many folks dont know how to use it.
their images dont look right. the lens really wants to have a nice foreground in the composition.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Spot on, trioderob. So far, I've only taken a few test shots with the lens, and that was a week before I actually bought it. My main reason for buying it is for industrial photography, but when looking at the quality of the output, I see enormous potential for many creative applications. I'll be travelling more or less constantly for the next 4 weeks on three different continents. I can't wait to put this lens to good use :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had the 18, also great. But I sold it. It was manual focus and there are a lot of great AF options, and some of us (ME!) prefer AF when we can get it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After I bought the D810, I have been using manual focus lenses almost exclusively, and actually get more images in focus than I used to with AF. That might say something about my lacking AF skills :ROTFL:

The most important thing however, is that the Zeiss 21, or at least the copy that I have bought, is sharp across the frame, full of detail and with vivid, saturated colours at all apertures. That means one thing less to worry about, leaving me to concentrate on choosing an aperture that suits the motive and situation, frame the photo and click.

This is also one reason why I find very few zoom lenses satisfactory. Most of them vary in quality through the different focal lengths and apertures. The only exceptions I have tried have been the PanaLeica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 and the Zuiko 14-35 f/2.0 (and to some extent the Nikkor 80-200 AF-S, but telephoto lenses are easier), both for 4/3 and both monstrous lenses when you think about the tiny format they are designed to work on. Like the Zeiss 21mm, they are also telecentric lenses, which still makes a lot of sense with digital cameras.

Lars

A late comment on the Nikkor 20/2.8D - it's a reasonably good lens, and on a tight budget a used one is not a bad choice. Focusing ring feel is crap though.

Arne Hvaring

Hi Jørgen, well, what did I tell you, LOL. Congratulations with your new WA, I'm sure you will do great things with it. Just be aware of the curvature of field (at least on my copy) and you'll be all right. You've just got one of Zeiss's masterpieces, next will be the 135 Apo ;)...
Just watch sample variations with that lens.
Cheers.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jørgen, well, what did I tell you, LOL. Congratulations with your new WA, I'm sure you will do great things with it. Just be aware of the curvature of field (at least on my copy) and you'll be all right. You've just got one of Zeiss's masterpieces, next will be the 135 Apo ;)...
Just watch sample variations with that lens.
Cheers.
I saw the field curvature while testing the lens, and it's something that I have to learn to deal with, but that comes with experience.

The 135mm is of course tempting, as are a couple of the other lenses. A 50mm is on top of the priority list right now, and I will try a couple of candidates during my visit to Scandinavia in a week or so :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A late comment on the Nikkor 20/2.8D - it's a reasonably good lens, and on a tight budget a used one is not a bad choice. Focusing ring feel is crap though.
There's a way to fix that focusing ring:
The 20mm f/2.8 AiS is basically the same lens. It's a bit costly for what it is, but still a current lens with Nikon. It's probably a great alternative for those occasions when gear has to be limited and quality requirements are "good enough". I have been considering changing my 20mm f/3.5 AiS for that one or the Voigtlander as a compact backup, but as for now, I'll use the Zeiss only.

trioderob

the 21 kind of has a glow to the colors - on my way home noticed the last of the California wildflowers - late in the year and they die off soon