The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35 / 50 Art ... is it a must have?

Harry

Finally got Capture One up and running.
Wow... what a difference! Bye Bye NX2
Now the colors are very close with no edge to the Nikon or Sigma.

Paratom

I also would be interested in overall color and character of the Sigma 35mm ( I had one for Canon and did like it).

I might get a Nikon DF and some / few primes:
The plan is the 58/1.4G and a 35mm, probably the Sigma 35 or the 35/1.8G.
I plan to use it a lot at shorter to medium distance (kids).
I understand the 35 Sigma would be more a "sharp" lens and the 58 more a "character" lens, but would you expect the color matches?
The 35/1.4G might fit the 58 even better but I am not sure I want to rule out so much money and reports on AF-accurancy of the 35/1.4 are mixed.

I like shooting in the f1.8-4.0 range most of the times, therefore a good Bokeh is important for me as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Paratom,

For the money (about $300), the little 50/1.8 special edition Df kit included lens, is pretty darn good. That and a 28/1.8 or 35/1.8 might be a pretty sweet little kit. Personally, I use my 17-35/2.8 the most, and now carry the kit 50 as well as the 105DC. The 105 is a little big, but I love the way it renders. If I know I want the faster 50 and/or wide, I'll swap in the 50 ART for the kit 50 and the 28ASPH for the zoom -- but that doesn't happen very often since the extra couple stops don't mean much with the Df ISO performance.

Paratom

Paratom,

For the money (about $300), the little 50/1.8 special edition Df kit included lens, is pretty darn good. That and a 28/1.8 or 35/1.8 might be a pretty sweet little kit. Personally, I use my 17-35/2.8 the most, and now carry the kit 50 as well as the 105DC. The 105 is a little big, but I love the way it renders. If I know I want the faster 50 and/or wide, I'll swap in the 50 ART for the kit 50 and the 28ASPH for the zoom -- but that doesn't happen very often since the extra couple stops don't mean much with the Df ISO performance.
Thank you Jack,
from the 2 days when I had the DF with the kit lens I found the bokeh very busy in some of the images, but it might have been the subject as well.
Have you tried the 35/1.8? And how you like the 28/1.8 in regards of bokeh etc?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For the record:

1) I do not own either the 35 or 28 f1.8 lenses, so cannot comment.

2) Yes, the 50/1.8 bokeh can be a little busy in certain situations. But for me in most cases, it's subject-specific and rather trivial, at least what I've noted so far. Of course, YMMV, so test before you spend ;)

Paratom

For the record:

1) I do not own either the 35 or 28 f1.8 lenses, so cannot comment.

2) Yes, the 50/1.8 bokeh can be a little busy in certain situations. But for me in most cases, it's subject-specific and rather trivial, at least what I've noted so far. Of course, YMMV, so test before you spend ;)
Thanks!
I know you use the 50 Sigma which must be great but is not an option for me because of its weight. This might look different if I wanted to use it on a D810, or if I didnt have my S-70mm.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One other outstanding option if you can deal with manual focus is the Nikkor 50/1.2 AIS. It is a stellar lens at a reasonable price, is compact and lightweight, and is still available new. Note that the older 55mm version has a different look, but still very pleasing and very reasonably priced on the used market. The older 50/1.4 manual focus are also excellent values and very reasonably priced. Finally, if you want really compact, the older 45mm pancake is a really cool lens. Tiny Tessar design, it has a very unique look, though not great in the corners it's very good centrally.

D&A

Quite agree with Jack. The Df kit SE 50 f1.8 is a excellent lens for what it is. I'd like to think that maybe because it was designated SE and made in Japan along with the Df, that better QC was applied in manufacture of each sample. For its relaitive size and price it does well for most subjects and falls in line with some of the other very good Nikon f1.8 lenses.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Paratom

thank you for all the feedback.

I think I would for sure start withthe 50 df kit lens.

I took some shots with 35 1.8g and 1.4 g today in the store.
Besides the 35/1.4 has a little longer focal lengths, the 1.8 seems good, the 1.4 however slightly nicer bokeh, and slightly warmer color and images slightly more "appearance". The 1.4 balances very nice.
They didnt have the Sigma there, which I know from Canon ( which is a very good lens)

Steve P.

Between the f1.8g primes and the Sigma Art series, you've got to wonder how many of the pro spec. f1.4 Nikkors they're selling nowadays. They've always been expensive but at current prices they're looking like a rip-off in the context of today's market. You'd expect to pay a premium for superior build, coatings and weather resistance but it's hard to justify the size of the difference now they're no longer the only game in town.