The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switch time.. maybe

Swissblad

Well its a done deal. :)
Friday I travel to Oslo, lunch with my dealer and Nikon... I will be losing the Hasselblad H4D-40 and 4 lenses and My Canon line up and picking up :
D4s, D810, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 (all 2.8) 58mm f1.4 300 f2.8 and two SB910s and a commander. :O
You do realise this is only the start…… you are missing the 85mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4 etc……;)

Have fun...:)

Nathan W. Lediard

Thanks guys :)

85 1.4 was on my list but I prefer a longer lens really for portraits :) BUT... you may notice the 58 1.4 is in there.. I reckon that is going to be a great lens for enviromental portraits... and by all accounts it seems to have the 50mm1.2L whooped.. so I won't be missing that! I had the 85 1.2L and the 135f2L used the 135 MUCH more.... The Nikon 135 is on my list to try out.. but to be honest, with the list of lenses I will be picking up on friday, if there is a job I cannot do, then I should just shut up shop and find a new job ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

85 1.4 was on my list but I prefer a longer lens really for portraits :) BUT... you may notice the 58 1.4 is in there.. I reckon that is going to be a great lens for enviromental portraits... and by all accounts it seems to have the 50mm1.2L whooped.. so I won't be missing that! I had the 85 1.2L and the 135f2L used the 135 MUCH more.... The Nikon 135 is on my list to try out.. but to be honest, with the list of lenses I will be picking up on friday, if there is a job I cannot do, then I should just shut up shop and find a new job ;)
IMHO you will not really miss the 1.4/85G. I owned this lens and it was full of CA and some other optical failure, so I was happy to finally sell it and cannot understand that so many others are keen about this lens. Maybe it is just because it is 1.4/85? I think the 1.8/85 should be far better and also lighter. Or the 1.4/58 which you obviously ordered.

Just my 5c!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Check out the 105mm f/2.0 as well. It's similar to the 135mm but sharper. These are both "old style" lenses, but I like how they render, not clinically sharp, but beautiful bokeh and colours.

yatlee

I also recently picked up a Nikon setup (D750, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200/4, 50/1.4, 200-400/4, Sigma 24/1.4 and Nikon 300 PF on order) having sold all my Nikon years ago. This is after my experience with a Canon 1dx and their wonderful 200-400mm in Antarctica. I really want to like the Canon, but the Nikon sensor is quite a bit ahead of Canon and the overall ergonomic seems work better in my small Asian hands. I will definitely miss the Canon 200-400 with built in 1.4X. It never stop working even under a down pouring condition.

A shot to remember the Canon...

Penguin synchronized swimming by By Yat Lee, on Flickr

As a Nikon user I'm happy with the d800 (and would probably be happier with the 810). I like Nikon's sensors in general. Very impressive.

I'm happy with the 14-24 lens. Equally impressive.

In the grass-is-greener dept., I covet the Canon 17mm and 24mm t/s lenses. They have no competition.

I'm also envious of the superior live-view performance of the 5D. The d800 makes my work a pain in the *** in low light.

I'm also envious of Canon USA's superior customer service. Although the blog at lensrentals.com suggests that Canon is working hard to catch up with Nikon USA's awfulness.