The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses AF compatibility?

Rawfa

Hi guys,

I´m starting to sell all my Sony gear and I´m trying to decide if I should move to Canon or Nikon. One of the things that bugged me about Sony was that many of their cameras had a lot of AF focus points but they were only compatible with a small amount of Sony lenses. Is it the same for Nikon or can I slap any lens on a D750 or a D800 and get the same AF speed and accuracy with all of them?

Udo

Hi,

you can use all AF lenses with Nikon compatible F-mount. AF speed will vary according to AF motor generation, i.e. the older AF-D generation with spindle driven movement (motor in the camera) and the newer AF-S technology (piezo motor in the lens). The same applies to third party lens manufacturers. The older technology is the slower one, while AF-S will be generally faster and most likely more accurate due to smaller steps.

Regards, Udo

Rawfa

Thanks, Udo.

I was thinking about getting the D750 with a 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4 and a Sigma 85mm f1.4 to start. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 was not very fast or accurate on the A99...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the Nikon 1.4/85G and this had super fast AF with my D800E. Main reason I sold it was I was not so happy with the IQ, but this may also just have been my sample as most others praise IQ from this lens.

segedi

I recently picked up a D750 and use Nikon's 50 and 85mm f/1.8 G lenses on it. It's very fast to focus. Faster than the Canon's I've owned? Hard to say. But I sold the Canon gear to get into Nikon and am enjoying it. I will say that it is accurate. And my lenses and body didn't require much of any AF micro adjustment.

The D750 body was the factor that swayed me in Nikon's direction - full frame goodness with nice video feature too. Love the flexibility of the programming of the body, the size/weight, the battery life, tilting screen as well.