The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 24mm 1.4 vs Nikon 20mm f1.8

Rawfa

I've just bought a D750 (still waiting for it to arrive) and a Nikon 50mm f1.4 G. At the moment I will only get a Sigma 85mm f1.4 and a wide angle...I'm trying to make up my mind between the Sigma 24mm 1.4 vs Nikon 20mm f1.8. Thoughts?

turtle

If you're a landscaper and have no preference based on focal length, I'd say the 20mm is the obvious choice. Much cheaper than the 24mm f1.4 and presumably smaller and lighter too.

I think 20mm's natural bedfellow is 28mm, but you could pick up both focal lengths for less than the cost of the 24mm f1.4...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Price of the Sigma 24 and the Nikkor 20 is about the same. Turtle is probably thinking about the Nikkor 24 which is horribly expensive.

Rawfa

You're right, Jorgen. A new Sigma 24mm f1.4 goes for about us$850 and I've been finding used Nikon 20mm f1.8 for about us$700.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't shoot weddings, but when I do the occasional party event, I mostly use a 28/50/85mm combo. I find 20mm too wide, partly because I'm rarely that space restricted at events and partly because it's harder to control perspective distortion. 24mm might be a good compromise though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Sigma will wipe the Nikon for breakfast. The Nikon 20 is a very nice lens but it's not the best IQ lens either. The new Sigma is built for quality imaging like its sisters the 35 and 50 ART series. But being 1.4 lenses they will be on the big and heavy side. Now as far as look the ART series is very nice but on the clinical side as well. Depends on what your after but they are sharp wide open. Myself a 28 and 35 would be my choices for people and events. The 24 will distort faces out to the sides more.

D&A

There's no hard and fast rule but agree with Guy...28mm or 35mm for most event phoptography and possibly something wider for those occasional artistic types shots (at events). From the limited amount of time I've spent with the 35 and 50mm art series....they are terrific performers especially for the money and if I had to nitpick, I'd say the bokeh quality can sometimes not be the most appealing and as Guy pointed out, imagery is quite neutual or leans towards being clinical.

No lens does it all and if it does, then the sky is the limit when it comes to size or price. I liked the Nikon 20mm f1.8 when I tried it, but it wasn't my favorite when it came to ultra wide angle lenses.

Dave (D&A)

jsf

I would like to see some kind of comparison between the Sigma f/1.4 and the new Nikon f/1.8. I can't imagine that the Sigma will wipe the Nikon for breakfast. But I will be very impressed if it can. I just got the Nikon f/1.8 and I would love to see if the Sigma can even compete.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would like to see some kind of comparison between the Sigma f/1.4 and the new Nikon f/1.8. I can't imagine that the Sigma will wipe the Nikon for breakfast. But I will be very impressed if it can. I just got the Nikon f/1.8 and I would love to see if the Sigma can even compete.
Not having any practical experience with any of these mentioned 20ers but I do know how well the 1.8/35G performs on the Df and I doubt that any Sigma 1.4/35 whatsoever lens could top this. Except of course being faster.

I assume similar to be true for the 20mm lenses as well.

I had not so great experience with Sigma IQ in the past though ....

Rawfa

I've pulled the trigger on the 24mm 1.4.

Ptomsu, you should check out Sigma's Art series. They've clear Sigma's bad rep completely. These are TRULY works of art.

yatlee

I got one couple days ago together with the 35/1.4 Art and the USB dock. The 24/1.4 requires +5 on the infinity side, +11 closer than 1 meter and no adjustment in the closed up range and on my D750. I think the USB dock is essential to get the most out of these sigma lenses. I know the 35/1.4 is sharper, but I perfer the 24 rendering a lot better when shooting portrait.

iiiNelson

Not having any practical experience with any of these mentioned 20ers but I do know how well the 1.8/35G performs on the Df and I doubt that any Sigma 1.4/35 whatsoever lens could top this. Except of course being faster.

I assume similar to be true for the 20mm lenses as well.

I had not so great experience with Sigma IQ in the past though ....
The Sigma Art line is "up there" with the Zeiss Otus/ZF.2/ZE line and Leica M/R for performance. I'd be more surprised if the OEM lenses topped them outside a few notable performers like the Canon 50/85L or the Nikon 14-24 for instance.