The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

810 - Electronic Front Curtain Shutter

cerett

I am somewhat confused about the use of this custom function. When using Live View, do you have to be in the Mup mode? I ask because in Live View the mirror is already up. Can someone also explain the real world value of this option? Is there any advantage to using this and the Shutter Delay?

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
EFC coupled with mirror up mode ensures the least vibration from your shutter; mirror up, front curtain open, bit of rest, fire, no vibration from mirror or front curtain. I do know it is only active in this mode when first turned on in the custom menu and then only when mirror up is also selected.

I am not 100% certain of the process of taking an image when in live view, it may or may not use the mechanical front curtain. But I do recall reading somewhere that in live view you still need two presses -- the mirror is already up, so ostensibly the first press flushes and resets the sensor, though could possibly do a flush, reset and front curtain -- I don't know... However, with a good macro lens and a wobbly tripod, one could test the above combination pretty easily and comparing the results would confirm the best possible combo for lowest vibrations ;)

Paul2660

Yes, in Live View it's still 2 presses. I tend to focus in Live view, then close the live view and then shoot.

At first I was a bit disappointed with this feature as it needs MUP mode. If you are on tripod it's fine, but in hand held mode, it's not as easy to use. However it's well worth the taking the time to work with. Results are very impressive. I now use this with all telephoto work, unless it's small songbirds, where they will move anyway during the 2nd press.

However for hand held pano's this this is a great tool where you are using a 70-300 or even the Nikon 24-120. I had mixed feelings on my 24-120 until I started to use the e first curtain and the results were very good.

Paul

Arne Hvaring

I tested this function with the Nikkor 4/300mm on a solid tripod and found the difference to be quite remarkable. Highly useful.