The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 24-120 f4 or 28-300mm

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also, and it's my impression that the shorter lens is also better sharper and has a nicer bokeh. The shop where I buy my gear sell the 24-120 for a very favourable price, 30% cheaper than the 28-300mm.

rayyan

Jorgen, I too believe the 24mm shall be more useful than 300mm for my needs.

I am going back and forward between a zoom or 3 f1.8g primes..

24/28, 50, 85. I have the 50/85.

Take care pal and thanks.

p.s I realize there is no 24/1.8 currently just f1.4, at a ridiculous cost!

For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also, and it's my impression that the shorter lens is also better sharper and has a nicer bokeh. The shop where I buy my gear sell the 24-120 for a very favourable price, 30% cheaper than the 28-300mm.

jlancasterd

For me, it would be the 24-120mm. 4 mm wider is more worth to me than the extra telephoto reach. Constant aperture counts also...
My view also. The 24-120 on a D810 is my 'single lens travel kit' when touring by train in Europe. If I can spare the space in my shoulder bag I'll take the 16-35 f4 along as well. I find wide lenses much more use than teles.

rayyan

John, much appreciated.

It is the wide end that I need to worry about then. Wish there was a 24/1.8:mad:

How do you find the lens results, if I might trouble you some more.

Thanks John and best regards.

My view also. The 24-120 on a D810 is my 'single lens travel kit' when touring by train in Europe. If I can spare the space in my shoulder bag I'll take the 16-35 f4 along as well. I find wide lenses much more use than teles.

iiiNelson

Why not get the 20/1.8? It looks pretty impressive for a fairly prices fast wide. You can crop if needed. I know the Df is pretty good at high ISO but there's something to be said for being able to avoid jumping up 2 1/3 stops for optimum performance in comparison to the zoom.

For travel though the 24-120 zoom + a fast 35/50 or a lighter 70-300 (or whatever similar equivalent Nikon has) will cover 95% of what most people will need with the Df.

rayyan

Quandary, primes vs zoom.

Like your suggestion to add a fast prime to the zoom..hmmm!

Grateful for your suggestions here and the Fuji thread. Trying to decide, where
The zoom should go. Nikon or the Fuji.

Take care.

Why not get the 20/1.8? It looks pretty impressive for a fairly prices fast wide. You can crop if needed. I know the Df is pretty good at high ISO but there's something to be said for being able to avoid jumping up 2 1/3 stops for optimum performance in comparison to the zoom.

For travel though the 24-120 zoom + a fast 35/50 or a lighter 70-300 (or whatever similar equivalent Nikon has) will cover 95% of what most people will need with the Df.

Lars

A travel zoom and a 50/1.8 (or 1.4) is a great travel combo.

Sometimes you want those extra stops indoor or that wide aperture/narrow focus look. The zoom won't isolate the subject as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My favorite all around and compact travel lens on the Df is the 1.8/35 - marvelous booked, very sharp, compact.

I will soon add a 1.4/58 pretty as my only really fast lens.

For a wider end the 1.8/20 will be my option in the future.

Any zoom lenses in this range became more and more obsolete for me over time, I prefer primes.

If I would have to chose 3 primes for travel - 1.8/20, 1.8/35, 1.8/85.

The only zoom I would get for the Df is the 80-400 VRII - an absolute must have if you shoot wildlife (which I do a lot).

Plus BTW I am confident all these lenses will take great images with high IQ also on a D810 or whatever will follow in the higher MP Nikon range in near future ... so all of the above guarantee a pretty future proof setup.

rayyan

Thanks Lars for a solution that I am beginning to appreciate based on what you
Good folks are suggesting.

Enjoying this...part of preparing for travel to distant lands.

Thank you so very much.

A travel zoom and a 50/1.8 (or 1.4) is a great travel combo.

Sometimes you want those extra stops indoor or that wide aperture/narrow focus look. The zoom won't isolate the subject as well.

rayyan

Hi Peter.

First congratulations. I didn't know you had the Df.

If I take the Df along, I was thinking of adding the Fuji X100S, to cover the 35mm.
I am undecided between lens changes with primes or the convenience, at loss of
Other things, with a zoom.

The trip my wife and me are planning would really require more than one prime.
And I do not really want to spend too much. I just want to add one lens either
To the Df or the Fuji X-T1. The M is out..it is tough on my eyes.

The 58/1.4....seems to be a lovely lens from what I have read and seen its results. But rich for me on my pension.

Best to you and yours.

My favorite all around and compact travel lens on the Df is the 1.8/35 - marvelous booked, very sharp, compact.

I will soon add a 1.4/58 pretty as my only really fast lens.

For a wider end the 1.8/20 will be my option in the future.

Any zoom lenses in this range became more and more obsolete for me over time, I prefer primes.

If I would have to chose 3 primes for travel - 1.8/20, 1.8/35, 1.8/85.

The only zoom I would get for the Df is the 80-400 VRII - an absolute must have if you shoot wildlife (which I do a lot).

Plus BTW I am confident all these lenses will take great images with high IQ also on a D810 or whatever will follow in the higher MP Nikon range in near future ... so all of the above guarantee a pretty future proof setup.

iiiNelson

Quandary, primes vs zoom.

Like your suggestion to add a fast prime to the zoom..hmmm!

Grateful for your suggestions here and the Fuji thread. Trying to decide, where
The zoom should go. Nikon or the Fuji.

Take care.
Considering your kit I would probably take the Fuji XT-1 with 18-135 for daytime and the Nikon Df with a fast 35 and 85 for night... that's just me though. Should be able to all fit in a relatively small photo backpack/large messenger bag with an iPad/Surface Pro 3, and associated cables/batteries.

Lars

Oh, you're considering travelling with two systems? My recommendation (after literally several years on the road) - bring just one system, and a pocketable compact. This will help you focus on photography rather than gear. Fewer lenses means fewer choices, sometimes a good thing. I repeat, one zoom and one nifty-fifty. :)

Travel photography is (for me) about the pics I actually take, not about what I could possibly have done with the gear I left at home.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter.

First congratulations. I didn't know you had the Df.

If I take the Df along, I was thinking of adding the Fuji X100S, to cover the 35mm.
I am undecided between lens changes with primes or the convenience, at loss of
Other things, with a zoom.

The trip my wife and me are planning would really require more than one prime.
And I do not really want to spend too much. I just want to add one lens either
To the Df or the Fuji X-T1. The M is out..it is tough on my eyes.

The 58/1.4....seems to be a lovely lens from what I have read and seen its results. But rich for me on my pension.

Best to you and yours.
Hi Rayyan,

I just switched from my Fuji XT1 to the Df with the 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 - what a lovely combo ;) And I still kept my EM1 with selected lenses as my mirror-less system ....

If you want a good Nikkor zoom in the standard range, then the 24-120 seems to be the best option and I would also choose this as my go to one zoom lens in combination with the Df. And maybe add the 1.4/50 as my fast lens on budget or if having the choice the 1.4/58 - have seen images of this lens and while for sure very expensive, the results and possibilities of playing with bokeh from wide open at 1.4 to already much sharper starting at 2.0 are just magnificent.

Wish you and your wife a great and fascinating trip :)

rayyan

I am just going to take one system. The X-T1 or the Df. I am inclining more towards the Df. With the Df, I was thinking to add the X100S; for when I need to
Walk around with something light.

Guys, I am thankful to you for your responses.

Best wishes.
Considering your kit I would probably take the Fuji XT-1 with 18-135 for daytime and the Nikon Df with a fast 35 and 85 for night... that's just me though. Should be able to all fit in a relatively small photo backpack/large messenger bag with an iPad/Surface Pro 3, and associated cables/batteries.
Oh, you're considering travelling with two systems? My recommendation (after literally several years on the road) - bring just one system, and a pocketable compact. This will help you focus on photography rather than gear. Fewer lenses means fewer choices, sometimes a good thing. I repeat, one zoom and one nifty-fifty. :)

Travel photography is (for me) about the pics I actually take, not about what I could possibly have done with the gear I left at home.

rayyan

Thanks Peter.

Would love the 58...someday maybe.

I have tasked the wife to fill in the visa forms :D
I pay for the trip, she can fill some forms:)

Best regards.

Hi Rayyan,

I just switched from my Fuji XT1 to the Df with the 1.8/35 and 1.8/85 - what a lovely combo ;) And I still kept my EM1 with selected lenses as my mirror-less system ....

If you want a good Nikkor zoom in the standard range, then the 24-120 seems to be the best option and I would also choose this as my go to one zoom lens in combination with the Df. And maybe add the 1.4/50 as my fast lens on budget or if having the choice the 1.4/58 - have seen images of this lens and while for sure very expensive, the results and possibilities of playing with bokeh from wide open at 1.4 to already much sharper starting at 2.0 are just magnificent.

Wish you and your wife a great and fascinating trip :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto all the above zoom recos -- go for the wide end, the lens is pretty darn good for covering a 5:1 zoom range!

That said, for travel I also *really* like the 28/1.4 or 17-35/2.8 along with the 50 ART. 17-35 is definitely more flexible, but the 28 just sings and I always seem to make it work for my wide.

Swissblad

I would test the 24-120mm on the Df before buying - it is a hefty piece of glass and may be unbalanced on the small Df body. A feature really missing on the 24-120 is a zoom lock - when you walk around - it always zooms out to max focal length - a pain.
As an alternative I would suggest the smaller new AFS VR24-85mm, which is optically quite OK.
My choice would be an old AF-D 35-105mm - a superb little lens and would really complement the Df well.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree about testing out the balance of the lenses with the Df body. As mentioned, the 24-120 on the Df can be somewhat front heavy, as are some of the other zooms.

rayyan

Jack, Swissblad, Graham and all the other good folk, thank you all for your inputs.

I tried the 18-135mm on the X-T1 today. Ugly, and too...well I did not like the handling and neither the results. Definitely out.

Am going to see the Nikon dealer shortly. The 28/1.8 seems promising. They will
Not allow me to keep it for a day or so for testing. However, never had an issue with returning faulty gear back.

I shall try the 24-120 to see how it handles on the Df.

Thanks again.