The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody still using a D700/D3?

Swissblad

I should have phrased this differently…… anybody still using a D700/D3….. and if so, how do you feel it compares with more modern low mp sensors (D4,Df).

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Re: Anybody still using a D700/D3 or what else as a walkabout?

The D700 is the one I forego and decided to ditch Nikon F mount altogether. :)

There have been some claims that the 700's sensor is comparable to that of the Sony A7s ( :D).

I use the A7s and prefer it over the higher pixels for many reasons. The D3 would sit at the opposite end of that being "robust" and all. May be the D4 may come close the A7s (we are skipping that in between generation D3s).

If I were you, I would use it (700) or sell it or at least take it apart to see what is in it. What is the point of holding on to to a digital camera? They never ever get better with storage.

k-hawinkler

Re: Anybody still using a D700/D3 or what else as a walkabout?

Well, occasionally I still use my D200.
My son is now using the D3 and D300.
The D3 was my favorite camera.
I liked the high ISO performance and UI.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can't compare with the Df or D4/s, since I own neither, but I do use the D700 for the following:

- Sport/action at night because of the combination of high frame rate/good high ISO performance.
- General night photography.
- Photography where high pixel count mostly isn't needed, like family photographs, reportage etc.

For most other photography, I use the D810 (travel and commercial photography) and D300/D2Xs (sports and action).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are looking at the D3 I'd HIGHLY recommend going a little further to the D3s. Before the D810 I'd say that the D3s was the pinnacle of Nikon development.

As with the D810, this was the second generation body of that series and they got pretty much all of the ergonomics sorted. I've seen several D4's with missing buttons and other reliability concerns. Ditto the 10 pin connector seems less reliable than older models.

I had been looking for a clean D700 over the past couple of weeks and instead identified a low-mileage, serviced D3 for $1K to shoot alongside my D810. That's just under the going rate for D3's and seems to be A LOT of camera at that price point. So, it seems I will still be using a D3 for the foreseeable near term, at least.

Hulyss Bowman

I should have phrased this differently…… anybody still using a D700/D3….. and if so, how do you feel it compares with more modern low mp sensors (D4,Df).

Thanks for any feedback.
Hello Swissblad,

I use the D700 professionally as my main camera, on every possible commissioned works. I never had any client, family, institution or model agency asking me for more (only one time for luxury wines). I rent "new" cameras only when I "feel" that the client will print big but that only for my own conciousness.

Uprezing a D700 file is a joy. You can had 2000 pixels on a side without loosing that much (at all). In PS just uprez using bi-cubic soft then sharpen wisely.

It's my way to make money. I'm sort of cheap compared to the guys who own MF and most of the time I get the contract. For example, yesterday I seen an event organizer asking for a photographer on facebook. Very important shoot for a high social profile family who can bring you tones of contacts. In less than 10 minutes 50 ppl replied. I sent a private message after the war, got a phone number, told my price and got the deal. For TWO hours of casual shooting, without printing, some asked over 500 € and one asked for 2000 € ( :D). I asked 185 € for around 100 shoots, a DVD and a 3 month internet gallery. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the shoot I will have more than what I've asked, without counting the awesome contacts I will have. To PP the 100 shoots, burning the DVD and letting LR making the gallery I need around 45 minutes. So, for around 3 hours of my life (party included) I will get paid 210 USD (without counting the numerous contracts I will hook on place).

I'm even invited to take place at the table for the party.

All of this to say, at the end, that the world do not care what camera you use. The D700 is a flawless camera, kind of easy to master and understand. I can prove, any days that God make, that this camera have all legitimacy in the professional world, and that for many years to come.

Of course, MF cameras have a place and a different rendering but most of the ppl around you are not THAT sensitive to see the inner differences. Some high end commercial works beg (or ask) for it like still car shooting, some architectural shoots ...

The sensor in the Df and D4 is very good (better than the D700 sensor) BUT the Df without filter is a crippled camera (ridiculous shutter) and the D4 is a fragile large black egg (compared to the D3).

Last edited:

robmac

+1 on the comments re: moving a step to the D3s - stunning camera. Produces gorgeous files with great color response and fantastic, natural, almost AA-filterless, pixel-level crispness. I have one as a backup and it's one of those rare cameras you decide to keep, regardless of how little you use it for jobs, until the 'wheels come off' - and I rarely use it above iso 400.