The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oil on D810 sensor?

JohnBrew

While in Utah I began having a problem with a strange appearing circle in the upper middle of all my images. I hit the sensor with a rocket blower and it seemed to go away but came back. Here is a blow up of the problem. Interesting the way the aperture appears! Opinions welcome.

Swissblad

Odd John - haven't heard of any D600 like problems with the D810 - hope you get it sorted out soon!

JohnBrew

Thanks, blad. The problem has disappeared (again) hopefully not to be repeated. Only one image was ruined by it so I suppose I was lucky.

JohnBrew

To bring you up-to-date on this problem, turns out it didn't go away - it only became less obvious. I finally got it with a Lens Pen and confirmed with a flashlight and magnifying glass. The whole thing was rather weird, though.

V

Vivek

Would that be, by any chance, the shape of the diaphram in your lens?

Paul2660

John,

Curious, was it a spot? or something reflective since it has the shape of the diaphragm the lens? Never have seen that before.

Paul

JohnBrew

Paul, I wish I could give you a definitive answer. I'm guessing it was both. I don't want it to happen again because it ruined several nice images, oth I'd really like to know exactly what it was and if it is preventible. One person I know seemed think it was an oil spot and that they haven't been unusual @ the 1K shutter count mark in the latest generation of Nikon camera bodies. If so, I'd suspect some type of lubricant having to do with the mirror mechanism and that once the camera has been used enough the problem will go away.