The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Df + 70-200/f4 VR mirror slap?

I was shooting away happily with the Df + new 70-200/4 VR. Wasn't really paying attention to it at first, but then I happened to chimp and noticed something was wrong. Was looking just like camera shake.. So I checked my settings and it was 1/500 shutter & VR on normal. Rather strange.. So I did a quick test and used MUP handheld for same shot -> no probs at all.

I know with these shutter speeds I could/should turn off VR, but it was a day at the zoo with family & casual snapping.. so it's not something you'd like to ve doing, concentrating on VR settings instead of having fun.

Has anyone else ran into this? I'm thinking mirror slap..

//Juha

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hard to diagnose the issue without seeing a sample of what you're talking about. After all, this is a photo forum and we even offer free album space so you can upload and share images. So post an example so we can see it please :)

Yeah, I was just back from the trip so didn't have a suitable one at hand. However you can download full size straight out of camera example here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20350168/_DSC0918.jpg

It's just been converted in LR6 from NEF and nothing more.

This was shot at 1/250 with VR on. I was aiming for the tigers head and you can immediately see something funny when you look at the "double image" whiskers.

Then similar, but without doubles:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20350168/_DSC0982.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20350168/_DSC0934.jpg

The first one is also at 1/250 (with mup if I recall correctly) and last one is at 1/400 (also with mup if I recall correctly).

//Juha

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Your blur is side<>side, not up<>down, so my guess it is NOT mirror slap or shutter motion since both travel up<>down...

That leaves a pretty harsh jerk while exposing, possibly including being oof as well, which in turn might exaggerate the motion blur....

But then I guess the guestion would be how does using MUP stop that from happening? Jerk + counter jerk? :)

Also I was leaning against a post with the tiger shot, so it was somewhat supported shot.. and I always half press to focus & engage VR and only after that take the actual shot. And I had several similar shots with similar results.

Truly mind boggling.. I guess I'll do some more testing.

//Juha

Arjuna

I think that the test should be VR off/on: I think that on a tripod you are supposed to turn VR off, so if the camera was 'somewhat supported' for the tiger shot, it may be VR-induced blur.

Arjuna: plausible, I'll test further.

K-H: need to see if I can borrow a suitable one from a friend, mine isn't strong enough for a dslr and outside that I've only got a monopod.