The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Minimum shutter speed?

Rawfa

I was looking around and I could only find the minimum shutter speed in AUTO ISO to define when AUTO ISO starts working based on the shutter speed. Isn't there a way I can set a minimum shutter speed limit on the D600 and the D750?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Minimum shutter speed ?

Hi Rafael

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question correctly, but why not simply use S mode (Shutter priority mode) if you want to gain maximum control over your shutter speed for every single capture ?

Or what is it you want to be able to do ?

( P.S. I once tried to describe the handling relations between Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO on a Nikon DSLR, but I'm pretty sure you already know these basic handling possibilities. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/11467-ev-settings.html )

Rawfa

What I mean is that sometimes I'd like to set the ISO to AUTO, then set the shutter to auto with a minimum shutter speed limit (say 1/100) and then only control the aperture manually.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Minimum shutter speed ?

Ok, I don't think there's a way to do that.
Instead you simply have to keep an eye with the shutter speed when adjusting the aperture.

Which by the way is what I always do.
I rarely leave Aperture priority mode and have mainly used that mode my entire life.
So for me it has become second nature to keep an eye with the corresponding shutter speed when adjusting the aperture.

I even prefer to be in control myself, leaving as little as possible to the camera automation (except at my age my eyes need autofocus).
Maybe that makes me a control freak :rolleyes:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Minimum shutter speed ?

What I mean is that sometimes I'd like to set the ISO to AUTO, then set the shutter to auto with a minimum shutter speed limit (say 1/100) and then only control the aperture manually.

Hey, wait a minute, I just read your wish again - and isn't that exactly what you get when you activate Auto ISO Sensitivity Control ?

I apologize if it is just me being dense here :eek:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yes, with the ISO Sensitivity Auto Control you can instruct your camera about:

- a selected maximum ISO value, and
- a selected minimum Shutter speed

So when you fire away at your chosen Aperture value (and preferred ISO value) your camera will first choose to adjust the Shutter speed (because this does not decrease image quality).

But if it hits your selected minimum Shutter speed limit, then it starts increasing the ISO value right until it also hits your selected maximum ISO value limit.

At this point the camera has no other choice than crossing the line for your selected minimum Shutter speed and use a slower speed. And that's what it will do.

Isn't that the ideal way you'd want it to work, e.g. at a low light event ?

Or can you describe the way you'd prefer it to work, and under what kind of circumstances ?