The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

which 24-70/2.8?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, thinking about getting (but not committed yet) a 24-70. Question is which one? PhotoZone shows the Nikkor as superior across all focals, but to be honest, I see some excellent images being posted here from the Tamron at about 1/3rd less than the Nikkor. Tammy is a little lighter and a little shorter than the Nikkor, but neither is small. Not sure a 24-70 is even worth it if I have a Sigma ART 50 and 24 (don't have my hands on the Sigma 24 ART yet, but it's a foregone conclusion) and already have the 24-120 which while not great is often good enough ... Thoughts?

dwood

I recently rented the Tamron and was pretty impressed with its performance. AF was fast, and it was a definite plus to have the VC available...my hand-held technique needs all the help it can get. Corners were a bit softer at the 24 end than the 70 side and there's some vignetting, but that's easily dealt with in post.

I keep hoping to see some action from Sigma on the rumored 24-70 Art but that may be a while coming. I may just end up grabbing a Tammy and check out the Sigma if/when that ever happens. The Tamron seems to run between $800-900 used, and looks like there's a $100 rebate on new ones until the end of this month.

Godfrey

Jack,

As you can probably tell, I'm not big on mid-range zooms, and particularly not fast mid-range zooms. I had the Canon 24-70L some years ago and ended up selling it for the 50/1.4, 28/1.8, and 100/2 lenses ... they did a better job for me.

On top of that, you already have the 24-120, and a 24, and a 50 ... Unless the zooms you're talking about are vastly superior to even the primes in that range, I'd be more inclined to fill in the prime range with an ~85 or ~100 mm prime.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Godfrey,

You have of course summed up my dilemma well. I too have owned the fast 24 (or 28 or 35) to 70 zooms, and almost NEVER actually ended up using them nearly as much as I expected, usually favoring my 24, 50 and 85 primes. I think your post has answered my question, thanks :)

But I am all ears for a good argument for the 2-70 :D

Swissblad

Jack
I bought the Nikon 24-70 - couldn't resist the sale price (≈$1100.-) - and am very impressed - but it is very bulky, heavy, and lacks VR.
However, as you also have the new 24-120mm AFS VR - which is a good lens for the zoom range - I would tend to favour fast primes - Nikon 20mm f1.8, Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART, Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART......
Have fun making your decision(s)
S :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, got my plan. My Sigma 24 ART will be here tomorrow, so I'm gonna see how I get along with the 24/50/85 fast primes in my bag instead. Yes, I like the convenience of a zoom when traveling, but then I have the 24-120 already, and it is decent. IF however, I find I miss the zoom convenience and want a little more flexibility, the rumored Sigma ART 24-70 may be closer to a reality by that time and worth exploring -- if it isn't a reality, I am leaning strongly toward the Tammy as my intermediate fast zoom option since it has VR.

dwood

Okay, got my plan. My Sigma 24 ART will be here tomorrow, so I'm gonna see how I get along with the 24/50/85 fast primes in my bag instead. Yes, I like the convenience of a zoom when traveling, but then I have the 24-120 already, and it is decent. IF however, I find I miss the zoom convenience and want a little more flexibility, the rumored Sigma ART 24-70 may be closer to a reality by that time and worth exploring -- if it isn't a reality, I am leaning strongly toward the Tammy as my intermediate fast zoom option since it has VR.
I'll be interested to hear about your Sigma 24 Art experience. I shoot the 35 and 50, and have been close to pressing the 'buy' button on the 24. The only thing holding me back is that I have the Zeiss Distagon 21, and I just can't see parting with that. But if the 24 rocks, who knows.

bensonga

Hi Jack...which 85 prime do you like? I've been hoping we would see a Sigma 85/1.4 Art lens soon.

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

I have the Nikkor 85/1.4G and it is superb -- so good it appears sharper than the sensor across the entire frame. And as such, I personally would never bother waiting for -- or replacing it with -- anything else.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

I have the Nikkor 85/1.4G and it is superb -- so good it appears sharper than the sensor across the entire frame. And as such, I personally would never bother waiting for -- or replacing it with -- anything else.
+1 except when something like the Lomography Petzval is indicated
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And like Bob, I have the Petzval 85 AND the PC-e 85, so yeah, I guess I like 85's :LOL:

gurtch

Jack: As you may have seen, I have posted a ton of images made with the D800E and Tammy 24-70 VC. I have a Zeiss 18mm ZF II, Zeiss 35mm ZF f2, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 85mm f1.8, and Nikon 105mm Macro VR. Somehow they usually stay on the shelf when I see a magnificent sky, and grab the camera with 24~70 already on it. The VC is a real plus for me (age 78).I make 20"x30" prints from the Tammy files. There are lens profiles in DXO and ACR. I highly recommend it.
Dave in NJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave -- I am actually leaning toward the Tammy if I do a 24-70, I really like the way it renders.

segedi

Jack - I have the Tamron 24-70 IS lens and did an informal test on a lens calibration target. To my surprise the lens performed much better than I expected. It's really sharp - and as sharp as the 50 and 85mm f/1.8's. Killed the Sigma 150mm Macro. But, I'm a prime guy and it's been sitting since the test a few months back. If you're interested in a used one, let me know!

dr0th

I have to say, I've rented the Tamron a few times and have been blown away by it. I have never been blown away by a Tamron, but I guess there's a first time for everything. The price and the addition of stabilization make it a worthy alternative to the Nikon. However, I still think the Nikon is better built, and I just don't like the construction and aesthetics of the Tamron. But overall, I'd admit that the Tamron is a better deal.

Tektrader

Now is NOT the time to invest in a Nikon 24-70 Jack. Its getting on in age and is sure to be replaced in the next 12 months. In fact I was so incensed by the lousy corner performance, that after I got the 24-120 I sold the 24-70 and bought a suite of primes to replace it. The VR in the 24-120 is worth more than the stop of extra light from the bigger lens.

Ended up with: for 24mm I use the 14-24, for 35mm I bought the Sigma art 35mm (but I am going to replace that with the Nikon 35mm F1.8 due to weight factors), 50mm I use a Nikkor 50 1.4, 85mm I use the Nikkor 85 F1.8

Everything that matters use a prime, Walk around/holidays: the 24-120

No need for the 24-70 anymore.....

tcdeveau

I'd second the "hold off on buying a 24-70" at the moment. IMHO Nikon's 24-70 performs well, but it is probably due for a refresh soon. Nikon Rumors has been talking about new 24-70 pf vr f2.8 for awhile, which on paper would be lighter and have VR.