The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rumor Nikon D850/D900

retow

EVF vs OVF :

I recently broke my D700 (it's not dead but need a repair). I have other cameras at my disposal such as Sigma DP2/3, Leica M9P with summi 50 1.4 Asph + summi 35 1.4 Asph, A7r and some lenses. I do not even want to touch this gear. I'm sad and want my babe back because OVF, weight (seriousness ??).
You might want to check your M9P, maybe its a fake one with a faux RF made in ........ . Last time I used my M9 I could swear I was looking through glass and not at a lcd screen when focusing..:grin:

PeterA

Photography is a about capturing light - but you can't really have a romance about it - if you are unhappy with the viewfinder you are looking through. Nothing beats the clarity of a rangefinder or a big mirrored OVF. Until the modern geek boy stuff delivers brighter sharper view of light it will always be a toy - not that there is anything wrong with toys for grown ups - but for me they are interesting toys and I would never ever pick my A7 ahead of a Leica or a Nikon when I need to get a shot - the EVF is just no fun for my eyes. Maybe one day one year the EVF tech will be superior to the OVF - as soon as that happens my eyes will lead me to EVF - because it will make it easier to see the light I am chasing.

Hulyss Bowman

You might want to check your M9P, maybe its a fake one with a faux RF made in ........ . Last time I used my M9 I could swear I was looking through glass and not at a lcd screen when focusing..:grin:
Ha ! You mean the Key Hole ? ;) Naa I speak about Reflex system. AF with OVF or MF when I want. In the other hand, if leica had built a real R system (above the DmR) the M system would not even exist in my head.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm going on a one week journey on Monday, and since it's a good photo opportunity, I bring two camera bodies and a selection of lenses; D700 plus D810 with 21, 28, 50, 105, 180, 300 and 24-135mm lenses. When I've added extra batteries, chargers etc., the bag will be around 10 kilograms. The Mac comes in addition to that, but it will stay in the hotel while I'm taking photos.

If I used Sony A7RII plus A7s with the same lenses, it would have been 5-600 grams lighter (lighter bodies but more batteries). That's 5-6%. I do not think I'd notice.

Hulyss Bowman

I'm going on a one week journey on Monday, and since it's a good photo opportunity, I bring two camera bodies and a selection of lenses; D700 plus D810 with 21, 28, 50, 105, 180, 300 and 24-135mm lenses. When I've added extra batteries, chargers etc., the bag will be around 10 kilograms. The Mac comes in addition to that, but it will stay in the hotel while I'm taking photos.

If I used Sony A7RII plus A7s with the same lenses, it would have been 5-600 grams lighter (lighter bodies but more batteries). That's 5-6%. I do not think I'd notice.
I would skip the 28 and 300 mm and just had a TC-20 E III ;) The 180 is no slouch even TCed on a D810.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would skip the 28 and 300 mm and just had a TC-20 E III ;) The 180 is no slouch even TCed on a D810.
I know, but the old 300mm f/4 is magic in its rendering, and insanely sharp all the way from wide open. I'll do a final comparison, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause :)

As for the 28mm... it's a lens I use a lot, but I might be just as well off going from 21 + 28mm to 18 + 24 or 25mm. Not right now though, and the 21mm is not a lens I'll part with lightly. It's as good as its reputation and then some.

Hulyss Bowman

I know, but the old 300mm f/4 is magic in its rendering, and insanely sharp all the way from wide open. I'll do a final comparison, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause :)

As for the 28mm... it's a lens I use a lot, but I might be just as well off going from 21 + 28mm to 18 + 24 or 25mm. Not right now though, and the 21mm is not a lens I'll part with lightly. It's as good as its reputation and then some.
Haa the 300 f4 (I thought it was the old f2.8). yea the 300 f4 is kind of cool as well as the 200 f4... unique rendering. I own no wide angle but might buy into a 35f2 zeiss (tested one and ... dang !!).

markhout

Haa the 300 f4 (I thought it was the old f2.8). yea the 300 f4 is kind of cool as well as the 200 f4... unique rendering. I own no wide angle but might buy into a 35f2 zeiss (tested one and ... dang !!).
Oh yea on the 180mm - my AFD is an old geezer (I bought it 2nd hand 8 years ago). Love the feel and IQ. And it switches easily to a 360mm 2.8 using the DX framing when needed.

On my earlier EVF comment - sure, an OVF is more fun and draws you in the scene and all that. But I'm wearing glasses and my 'dominant' eye only has 60% or so sight. I was playing around with my son's Sony A6000 and stuck my Nikon 24mm/1.4 on it with an adapter - the focus peaking is so impressive! I should not have done that - the 24mm is now a 'standard' on his A6000...

AlexLF

That's exactly what I'm thinking now on A7RII. Can't stand its ergonomics... Waiting on those D900 rumors to grow :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's exactly what I'm thinking now on A7RII. Can't stand its ergonomics... Waiting on those D900 rumors to grow :)
Smilar for me too! Nikon always had the far better ergonomics compared to Sony (Minolta) as far as I can remember - at least for my taste!

rayyan

Backpacking are you, Jorgen?

Hulyss Bowman

Oh yea on the 180mm - my AFD is an old geezer (I bought it 2nd hand 8 years ago). Love the feel and IQ. And it switches easily to a 360mm 2.8 using the DX framing when needed.

On my earlier EVF comment - sure, an OVF is more fun and draws you in the scene and all that. But I'm wearing glasses and my 'dominant' eye only has 60% or so sight. I was playing around with my son's Sony A6000 and stuck my Nikon 24mm/1.4 on it with an adapter - the focus peaking is so impressive! I should not have done that - the 24mm is now a 'standard' on his A6000...
I understand this of course. It is easier for some. My sight eye is 5/10 (I wear glasses too, at home) but EVF (Fuji XT-1, supposedly one if not the best) give me ocular headache. One hour shooting with XT-1 damage me like 6 hours intensive PP; this never happened to me before with any ovf and I do not want to force my eyes that much for the good of technology. I'm open but this ain't a solution. For me, digital projection of the scene is good only on big screen and only for video.

For the D850/D900... I do not think you'll find any revolution in it. Maybe more pixels and at least the D810 hardware ?? But not a revolution, I seriously doubt about that and we might not see it before next year.

The best way, IMHO, is to take the D810 because it is actually beyond sufficient for 95% of us :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I understand this of course. It is easier for some. My sight eye is 5/10 (I wear glasses too, at home) but EVF (Fuji XT-1, supposedly one if not the best) give me ocular headache. One hour shooting with XT-1 damage me like 6 hours intensive PP; this never happened to me before with any ovf and I do not want to force my eyes that much for the good of technology. I'm open but this ain't a solution. For me, digital projection of the scene is good only on big screen and only for video.

For the D850/D900... I do not think you'll find any revolution in it. Maybe more pixels and at least the D810 hardware ?? But not a revolution, I seriously doubt about that and we might not see it before next year.

The best way, IMHO, is to take the D810 because it is actually beyond sufficient for 95% of us :)
I am somehow halfway towards a decision for a D810, as I also doubt the D850/D900 will before happen mid 2016 earliest and as always will take time for delivery at least to countries like Austria, so in order to get my hands on one and get familiar with it it would be almost late summer 2016. Which is too late for my needs, as I need to use such a cam already begin of next summer on some African safari shoots in combination with the 80-400 VRII. And this should be pretty nicely covered by the D810.

Although we all expect the D850/D900 to get a significant MP boost - at least what rumors tell, so either it would be "only" 42MP (like the Sony A7rII) or even higher like 50+MP, which is nice for studio and some other applications, but for my purposes as wildlife camera even the D810 with 36MP is already kind of overkill.

WRT other feature upgrades, I have the feeling that Nikon could easily stop/kill all the mirrorless FF requests by simply adding an EVF option to some of their new DSLRs, either integrated or as separate EVF, like the one for the Nikon 1 V3. This would be simply possible by mounting it in a new universal flash shoe like a number of other vendors have already shown. And then you just need to switch over to LV (either manually or through an eye sensor in the EVF) and have all advantages of a mirrorless system with the possibility to use all the existing Nikkor lens lineup. The camera would be a bit larger and heavier compared to a Sony A7rII but IMHO that is no disadvantage at all, referring to some earlier posts already in this thread (Jorgen I hear you!).

But again - I think the D810 will be pretty perfect for my photography use cases :D

jonoslack

Hmm. I'm going on holiday on Monday as well - I'm planning two M bodies, WATE, 28 'lux 50 Apo 75 'cron and 90 macro elmarit - I guess that's less than 3 kilos . . . but maybe you'll take better pictures? (actually Jorgen, I know you'll take better pictures, but I doubt it's to do with the kit!).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmm. I'm going on holiday on Monday as well - I'm planning two M bodies, WATE, 28 'lux 50 Apo 75 'cron and 90 macro elmarit - I guess that's less than 3 kilos . . . but maybe you'll take better pictures? (actually Jorgen, I know you'll take better pictures, but I doubt it's to do with the kit!).
Normally, I do just fine with a 28/50/105/180mm combo, and even the 180 is a very recent acquisition. What makes this occasion special is that it's a combined work/leisure thing, and I'll take photos of anything from industrial interiors (21mm) via a big festival with parades etc. to fishing boats (300mm). The 24-135mm is already on the chopping block, since it's really only usable on the D700, and I consider replacing the 180/300mm combo with the 80-200 plus a TC, but I know that the primes deliver better image quality in every way except CA (which is easy to get rid of).

For occasions like this, good zoom lenses would be much more convenient, and I consider the Sigma 24-35mm f/2.0 to take care of the wide end, but it's a beast, and heavier than my rather large 21 and 28mm lenses combined. So I choose the easy way out for now, and carry a heavier load. The wight includes the bag btw., which is 2.3 kilos and large enough to room the MacBook, chargers etc., which I will not carry when taking photos. Since I have so much luggage anyway, I'll also bring a smaller bag for when I only need four lenses and one body.

Having shot car races for many years, this setup actually feels rather lightweight :)

Jokes aside..., I know a load of photographers especially in the pro/artist segment (nature travellers, news, reportage, weeding ...). None of them use a so called mirorless. They almost all have a one, for snaps, chilling and backstage, for saving clicks on their main gear witch is roughly 60% Canon 38% Nikon 2%Hassy/Phase. I speak about around 150 ppl I meet in conventions and other places. Those mirorless are slowly sitting in the car because of social media. Now they use more and more their phone for that.

EVF vs OVF :

I recently broke my D700 (it's not dead but need a repair). I have other cameras at my disposal such as Sigma DP2/3, Leica M9P with summi 50 1.4 Asph + summi 35 1.4 Asph, A7r and some lenses. I do not even want to touch this gear. I'm sad and want my babe back because OVF, weight (seriousness ??).
It is also why I sold my fuji XT-1 + lenses system : just gadget for me.

I might get a D810 very soon if NPS isn't quick enough, and, renting it time to time, it is just the best tool a photographer can dream about in this price range. DSLR is far to be dead, OVF is far to be dead, maybe Focal Planer Shutter will die before mirror (and lenses will be upgraded).

Let's talk about technical revolution in 2020.

Also, D810 is pretty rare in the field. Most D800 users were just spoiled and can't really upgrade. D810 in the real wild are not legion.

The whole A7R2D2 extravaganza just let me cold. Really. Imho, it is not a big step forward over even the D800. A D810 is more serious in all regards (price, build, files and so on...). I think ppl are just very happy to buy new stuff, even if the delta with old gear is minimal and, like the stock market today, the morning glory fall pretty quickly. I'm pragmatic; an A7R2D2 is a kind of cat/lizard/parrot... whatever when a D810/5DIII is a working horse.

When you work, you do not bring your cat with you. If you do, you'll always fear to kill it.
This side I'm seeing exactly the opposite. I have friends in the wedding department who had or are going to migrate to either Sony or Fuji mirrorless. Myself I do products and architecture and I'm using the Sony for the majority of my work. Count others that are migrating too. I still have my D800 and use it for some works where I prefer the AA filter on.
We cannot generalized as there too many variations on the subject. Some people prefer MF other that work sport and news practically attached to their Canons and Nikons

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And the winner is.... the 80-200 AF-S.

I did a comparison. The 80-200 AF-S at f/4, when I enlarge the image to the same magnification as the 300, shows more detail and is sharper than the 300 at f/4. When stopping down to f/5.6, the 300 is better by a great margin compared to anything. At f/8, they all start to lose sharpness and detail.

Rawfa

EVF, tiltable lcd, 4K and fast silent continuous AF on video mode would be enough to make me forget about Sony. Other than that I'm happy even with the D610.

What I've gotten from this thread is that there are A LOT of people out there with WAY more gear than they can actually use. We're definitely living on the age of gear lust...and the worst thing about it is that companies know it!

AlexLF

What I'd like to have in Nikon body is probably image stabilization but ONLY if it's not going to make it heavier and less styrdy..