The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fade or contrast?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The faded contrast and saturation level on the subject with the black of the contrast image. IOW just add black to the faded image and bump midtones as needed to rebalance. The problem is with your straight contrast, you've 1) increased saturation to a garish level, and 2) blown out critical highlights.

What software do you use?

Godfrey

The faded contrast and saturation level on the subject with the black of the contrast image. IOW just add black to the faded image and bump midtones as needed to rebalance. The problem is with your straight contrast, you've 1) increased saturation to a garish level, and 2) blown out critical highlights.

What software do you use?
Yes, what Jack said. Although it takes a bit more than just adding black.
1) I nipped a copy of your photos and opened the faded one in Lightroom.

2) I set a point tone curve like this:

3) That netted this result:

enjoy,
G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
For me, the image has a few issues. First is it's over saturated to make colors look right with the "film fade." Next, the WB is off for the rocks, too cool -- also prolly a programmed part of the "film" effect -- but affects skintone as you bring in the blacks. I like the softness the fade gives the model, but do not like gray where black belongs -- so the trick is rendering the model slightly faded version with better -- or in this case actually some -- black. I did the below with a minor WB warm up, levels to get blacks, lowered sat, and then curved it for the mid and upper tonal balance to maintain softness on the model. I prefer it of course... But end of day, if the artist likes it AND the client likes it, that's what counts and anything I say is basically worthless :D

Jack's 3 minute work up of the faded file -- I suspect I could have done better/more with the raw. And were it my image, I would bring up both of her eyes/sockets a bit:

Godfrey

Yes, a nice additional tweak, Jack!
I noticed the cyan tinge but, eh? ... I didn't want to push it too much.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I only removed a bit of it because I didn't like what it did to her skin, but again, all personal taste ;)