The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hanoi, Friday 13 February 2009

woodyspedden

Thanks David. The S5 really shines under circumstance like these. Non of the photos I've posted here have more than two minutes of pp, most of them much less, including conversion from RAW.

I wish Nikon could come up with some new primes though. A compact 85mm f/2.0 VR would be perfect, if it's sharp wide open. And a 24mm f/1.4 :rolleyes:
I am wondering if Nikon has a deal with Zeiss to not introduce new primes for some period of time. Right now Zeiss has wonderful primes for nikon F mount albeit more pricey than Nikon's would likely be. I own the 18, and the 35 and find them superb. I will be buying the 28 and the 50 Makro and if David Farkas can find me a 100 Makro with a focus that is smooth and not tight I will consider that as well (although I have been super happy with my 105 VR to this point).

Woody

D

ddk

I am wondering if Nikon has a deal with Zeiss to not introduce new primes for some period of time. Right now Zeiss has wonderful primes for nikon F mount albeit more pricey than Nikon's would likely be. I own the 18, and the 35 and find them superb. I will be buying the 28 and the 50 Makro and if David Farkas can find me a 100 Makro with a focus that is smooth and not tight I will consider that as well (although I have been super happy with my 105 VR to this point).

Woody
I asked Zeiss about the stiffer focus control on the 85mm and 100mm and I was told that there's a lot of glass to move in those lenses, hence it requires slightly more effort than the shorter lenses.

D

ddk

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 27mm and f/2.8

Talk about timing, were you waiting for macho man to show up? This photo is making me miss the hot humid climate and the heavy smog there, in a pleasant but masochistic way.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Playing around with black & white.

S5 with Tamron 17-50mm @ 48mm and f/2.8

S5 with Tamron 17-50mm @ 40mm and f/2.8

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

S5 with Tamron 17-50mm @ 17mm and f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Talk about timing, were you waiting for macho man to show up? This photo is making miss the hot humid climate and the heavy smog there, in a pleasant but masochistic way.
Nah... we just happened to be there at the same time :)

O

Oxide Blu

That first B&W image, 'Breakfast' does it for me. Just beautiful.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My mother complains that there are to many girls in my photos, so for the sake of balance, here's one with a woman and a man :)

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's a railway going through the city. Sometimes the trains don't go...

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 34mm, f/2.8 and 1/10s, handheld

... and sometimes they do.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 22mm, f/2.8 and 1/3s, handheld

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The coffee in Hanoi is the best anywhere. A good excuse to take five minutes in the morning.

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Time to end this thread, I suppose, with a self portrait, more or less. There are zillions more photos from a hectic day in Hanoi, but unfortunately, there's also work waiting. Thanks for all the comments. They are always inspirational on this forum.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 34mm and f/8

woodyspedden

I asked Zeiss about the stiffer focus control on the 85mm and 100mm and I was told that there's a lot of glass to move in those lenses, hence it requires slightly more effort than the shorter lenses.
David

I don't think this is the issue. My 100 ZF was so stiff it felt like it was actually binding. When you got close to the optimum focus trying to fine tune was simply over the top. Now others have the lens and reported no problem with focus stiffness. So I am probably going to try again but it will be a lens from a dealer who will guarantee me the focus is smooth. (I don't mind "heavy" as a result of all the glass.) My standard for this is the Leica R 280 4.0. There is a ton of glass here too but you can focus with the tip of your finger and just nail it. That is the way a lens should be designed.

Woody