The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hanoi, Friday 13 February 2009

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Dale. I had a look through your galleries. Your Thailand photos are really great.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm, f/2.8 and 1/35s

Dale Allyn

Thank you, Dale. I had a look through your galleries. Your Thailand photos are really great.
Kind of you to say so, Jorgen. My site is in much need of attention. I need to get to work on it and upload more work. I have some Thai images on flickr too, but have not been good about maintaining things there.

Perhaps we'll meet for a coffee in BKK or elsewhere one day.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Long story short... I was waiting for an unobstructed view to the main gate of Temple of Literature in the nice evening sun. On a Friday. Foolish attempt of course.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/8

D

ddk

Long story short... I was waiting for an unobstructed view to the main gate of Temple of Literature in the nice evening sun. On a Friday. Foolish attempt of course.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/8

Wonderful Jorgen, who cares about the gate!

grappa

Thank you for the pictures. I am going to miss them if you stop.
Do you notice how I said if rather than when,because I hope there will be more.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Woody.

Interesting comment about badminton and Tai Chi, since that's exactly what I think when I walk around in Hanoi early in the morning. There are lots of badminton players everywhere in streets and parks every morning. It's an interesting study in a combination of sports and Asian philosophy.

Lloyd

Thanks Woody.

Interesting comment about badminton and Tai Chi, since that's exactly what I think when I walk around in Hanoi early in the morning. There are lots of badminton players everywhere in streets and parks every morning. It's an interesting study in a combination of sports and Asian philosophy.
An amazing series Jorgen, and one that spoke to me deeply on a number of levels. I've never had this sort of view of Hanoi (I supposed I didn't really have any sort of positive idea about it), and it was very enlightening to me. Vietnam is part of a very painful past to me (I've been aware of this thread since it started, but couldn't bring myself to even open it), and one that some friends have encouraged me to exorcize with a visit, as some of them have done. I think sometimes that I'd like to do so, and these images certainly push me that way, but more than likely it won't happen any time soon (particularly with economic realities being what they are), so to visit vicariously though your wonderful images is a reasonable (and really quite wonderful and therapeutic) substitute. And, on top of the psychological benefits, I've been treated to some truly wonderful and inspiring photography. Thank you.

kweide

Thank you guys.

Sooner or later, I will run out of photos. I was only in Hanoi for around 30 hours this time.
Jorgen, so beautiful... you will never run ot of photos. I really enjoy your series. More more more, feed us with your drug...:thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Klaus and Lloyd, thank you both.

Lloyd, Vietnam represents a painful past to many, including a lot of Vietnamese. I can see that it's problematic for some, and understandably so. Going there is probably a good idea though. I see many American, and French, coming there, trying to see what the whole thing was all about.

So far, I've only been to the north, which, except for the climate, is wonderful. The south is apparently very different in many ways. I look forward to see all of it, but it's a surprisingly large country, and it will take time, at least as long as I have obligations in this country as well.

Again, I'm very happy that you enjoy the photos. Thank you :)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Brilliant work Jorgen! My favorites are: Breakfast, Distraction, Clean Shot, and the masterfully done Distance. I have visited this thread several times and I am certain to be back. A splendid journey.