The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaked pics of new Nikkor glass

Lars

First E series, right? Electronic aperture.

(Which is different from the 1980s E series budget lenses - I have a 50/1.8E somewhere).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I obviously have no interest in any of these lenses, since I already have all the lenses that I'll ever need :lecture:

:ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 200-500 looks very tempting, but I assume it will be in high price range as the 200-400 at least :cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have some funds salted away, and both zooms could find a spot in my stable...

dwood

The 24-70 is most interesting to me but if it's $2.2k'ish (US), it would need to be a truly stellar performer. I recently rented the Tamron 24-70 and it's very good...and about half the price of what this Nikkor might end up at. I'm in the market for a 24-70 but might now wait to see what the Nikon version has to offer.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 200-500 looks very tempting, but I assume it will be in high price range as the 200-400 at least :cool:
According to the link above, the 200-500 is going to cost JPY 170,000. That's less than USD 1,400. If it's not too large and heavy, I can see a future for that lens in my extended travel bag. Very tempting indeed.

turtle

Its reportedly an f5.6, so won't be that big or heavy. Interesting aperture choice and one that will surely result in divided opinion. Great move by Nikon, by creating a unique product. I think the 24mm is a superb move.. well done Nikon.

According to the link above, the 200-500 is going to cost JPY 170,000. That's less than USD 1,400. If it's not too large and heavy, I can see a future for that lens in my extended travel bag. Very tempting indeed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
At ~ $2200 US for the 24-70, I am not a likely buyer. But ~ $1700 for the 200-500 is definitely in my wheel-house... The appeal to me of an f5.6 is the low weight and slimmer size as long as it resolves well. With ISO noise's and VR capability what they are now, uber fast glass is only necessary for isolations, and long glass already isolates pretty well at moderate apertures...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For that price it is a no brainer for me!

Lars

Interesting that the 24-70mm is not PF.
Curios to See how the optic have been changed.
I'd say the opposite - if it was PF then that would indeed be interesting. My guess is that PF is largely unsuitable for use in any zoom lens or wideangle lens application. The concept works reasonably well at low levels of refraction in situations where flare can be well controlled, i.e. long tele lenses. For any other applications there will probably be way too much flare.

But perhaps I have not fully understood the PF concept.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Phase Fresnel is only good for prime teles...

Some wide zooms are ParaFocal -- or close enough to it for video work -- but they tend to not be as good optically as the non for those of us looking for the best resolution. Tele zooms are a different story and easier to design, as focus tolerance is greater at longer focal lengths. But if this new zoom is indeed parafocal and out-resolves the current design, it will be pretty big...

f6cvalkyrie

I obviously have no interest in any of these lenses, since I already have all the lenses that I'll ever need
said Jorgen ... :) no worry, I'm in the same situatioen, Jorgen :)))

C U
Rafael

Swissblad

I'd say the opposite - if it was PF then that would indeed be interesting. My guess is that PF is largely unsuitable for use in any zoom lens or wideangle lens application. The concept works reasonably well at low levels of refraction in situations where flare can be well controlled, i.e. long tele lenses. For any other applications there will probably be way too much flare.

But perhaps I have not fully understood the PF concept.
It was rumored to be PF.

Personaly I am curious how it Compares to the old Version.

tcdeveau

Definitely interested in the zooms. Very badly want to see comparisons on the 810 between the current 24-70 and the new VR version.

Swissblad

The MTF charts of the new 24-70 certainly look impressive, as does the new optical construction, with an ED aspherical element.

Downside is the 82mm filter size and increase in weight ...... and huge price increase....

... but I think this lens will sing with a D810 and D5X.......;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The MTF charts of the new 24-70 certainly look impressive, as does the new optical construction, with an ED aspherical element.

Downside is the 82mm filter size and increase in weight ...... and huge price increase....

... but I think this lens will sing with a D810 and D5X.......;)
Yes indeed -- and my guess is it will sing on the D900 when it arrives too. I noted that there is a large price reduction on the old version 24-70 and 80-400 VR lens -- obviously making room for these two new zooms. After seeing that MTF, I now suspect both zooms will be in my bag regardless of costs. The 24/1.8 is interesting as well, but since I already have the ART 24 and it is stellar, not really on my radar...