The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

Hacker

(1) How do you like the LensAlign for testing the M and R lenses (manual focus)?

Not too bad, but my lenses appear to be correctly focused.

(2)Do you find the D700 (focus point confirmation) to be accurate and does it agree with what you see on the screen?

Yes, I mainly use it as a guide.

(3) It doesn t look like you can use the Nikon focus adjustments to correct the focus confirmation (AF lens only).

Not sure, my 100mm and 80mm focus correctly.

These are nits but you have to have uber calibration to use a 1.4 at close range.

Paratom

I haven t tested this but there was a problem on the Canon bodies with accurate exposure metering. The Canon representative explained this on one of the forums and it appears that the body uses the aperture information to adjust the exposure metering. On an alternative lens it does not have the aperture information and each F stop was off by a different amount. The solution was to make a chart of exposure adjustments and then use the exposure adjustment necessary for your chosen aperture. Sounds worse than it is....as I tried to shoot wide open or at F5.6 and I knew the amount to adjust. Generally we are talking about 1/3 to 1/2 stop errors...which IMHO isn t critical for many uses and I don t meter that accurately anyway. I know for some applications you need to do better.
this sounds logic.

Stuart Richardson

It may make sense to manually enter the lens in as a similar focal length in the camera if you have not already. For example, for the 80mm f/1.4, enter it in as an 80mm f/1.4 in the non-cpu lens data section. I know it will not be auto-stop down, but it is my understanding that matrix metering uses the lens focal length in the metering....you may get more accurate metering if that is taken into account.

The other option would be to switch to center weighted or spot metering -- those should not be affected by lens specific calculations, and you may get more consistent results.

robmac

2nd the entering of the FL and max aperture for adapted/converted lenses.

For EoS bodies I usually get custom-coded adapters (e.g. "80mm F1.4") from happypagehk. Tend to find it help with exposure - and focus confirmation. He also sells encoded chips solo ($35). He MAY be able to source chips encoded for Nikon that you could attach to the leitax flange if that's a route worth following.

When I get a new lens and use an existing adapter encoded for a different lens while awaiting a new adapter, the metering (1Ds2) tends to go wonky - and focus confirm tends to be just off (more so than usual for an EoS body).

Last edited:

Hacker

@Hacker...
I can't take it anymore.
I'm selling my Zeiss 100/2 and Zeiss 85/1.4
I'm going to order Leica LUX 80/1.4 + Leitax for it :D
btw, do we get all the equipments that we need to convert the lens?
such as the screw tools, the silicon etc.
Thc You
The equipment to convert and the grease are all separate costs.

Hacker

Maybe it's just me, but that 80/1.4 Lux has a disturbing busy background bokeh wide open. There seems to be a lot of internal vignetting going on. What's it like stopped down a bit, f/2.8 or so?
The baby photos have very bad background, and any lens would have produced the same. I took the photos when it was heavily raining, so I did not have good lighting, and the mat is quite er...ugly.

Stuart Richardson

Well, I got my adapter for the 180mm f/2.8 APO ROM. It was really easy to change, and the stripped screw I was worried about was not an issue. Changing the bayonet was even more straightforward than I thought. I went very slowly and carefully, and it took me about 10 minutes. The lens mounts right on the Nikon very easily. There is slightly more play in the mount than there is in most Nikon lenses, or when it was on Leica, but this is probably to be expected. This is not to say it is loose in the mount...just that if you try to move the lens in the mount, you can do so a tiny bit.

Performance wise...wow. Using the 180 APO elmarit again is really nice. It is outlandishly sharp, so quick to focus and such nice bokeh. I have not had the chance to take too many shots, but so far the impression is great. Metering is spot on using matrix metering (I am using a D3...I entered the lens in as a 180/2.8), focus confirmation is also dead on accurate (though the arrows point in the opposite direction since the Leica lenses focus with infinity at right rather than infinity at left). Using the aperture is quite easy, and the viewfinder is still bright enough to focus at f/8, though in practice I focus at f/2.8 and then stop down. Or just shoot at f/2.8 since the lens is so good that it does not really make any difference except for depth of field.

Ok, here are two fairly boring photos. One through my dirty window, handheld at f/2.8 and ISO 1000 (+.33 EV in lightroom...it was a blah day). Also, the vignetting at the left is from the window, not from the lens.

And this one was also handheld at f/2.8 -- it is at the lighthouse at the western tip of Reykjavik.

This is a 100% crop from the extreme right edge...remember at f/2.8

Sharpening in both photos was very low. I processed them in lightroom and the settings were 14 for amount, .5 for radius and 25 for detail. There is the faintest hint of color fringing in the telephone pole's white plastic wire guard, but I believe that is more from the sensor than the lens. Leica does not tend to exaggerate about their APO correction. I did have a UV filter on it, though I doubt that would make any difference. Anyway, I am very happy to be able to use my lens again, and I look forward to my other bayonets getting here! I am going to try to convert my 50mm f/1.4 E60, so hopefully that will clear the mirror. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of my lenses will fit...they are all the iffy ones -- 19mm f/2.8, 35/1.4 and 28-90 f/2.8-4.5.

ryc

does the conversion allow for metering with the lens open or is it stop down metering? In other words will the lens stay open even as you turn the aperture ring or does it close as you turn the ring?

monza

Jorge, it's stop down.

I have some of these bayonets available, if anyone wants one, drop me a PM.

Stuart Richardson

Jorge -- Monza is correct. There is no physical connection between the lens and the body other than the mount. You need to focus wide open, and then stop down to your shooting aperture. Or just shoot wide open....or...you could always just focus at your shooting aperture.

bensonga

Performance wise...wow. Using the 180 APO elmarit again is really nice. It is outlandishly sharp, so quick to focus and such nice bokeh. I have not had the chance to take too many shots, but so far the impression is great. Metering is spot on using matrix metering (I am using a D3...I entered the lens in as a 180/2.8)

Ok, here are two fairly boring photos. One through my dirty window, handheld at f/2.8 and ISO 1000 (+.33 EV in lightroom...it was a blah day).
Looks great Stuart!

Has anyone compared the Leica 180 f2.8 APO with the Nikon 180 f2.8 ED lens? I have the older Nikkor 180 f2.8 non-ED lens and have been thinking about selling it to get the ED version (AIS, MF) and use with my F3HP (or maybe a Nikon DSLR).

Gary
Alaska

robmac

Gary,

Lloyd Chambers did a 180mm comparo on the D3x( get his DAP subscription service). Included the Leica, CV, Nikon, etc., You, uh, might want to read it before buying that Nikon...;>

In a nutshell: Leica on top, CV very close #2 (it cost $400 said he'd "..only sell it for no less than $2000.." (I paraphrase)) then everyone else starting distant 3rd+

I own the CV and owned the Leica and Nikon - I'd agree with his conclusions fully.

If you decide to acquire a CV (leaping here), there is a forum member here I know is debating selling theirs - I can put you in touch.

bensonga

Gary,

Lloyd Chambers did a 180mm comparo on the D3x( get his DAP subscription service). Included the Leica, CV, Nikon, etc., You, uh, might want to read it before buying that Nikon...;>

In a nutshell: Leica on top, CV very close #2 (it cost $400 said he'd "..only sell it for no less than $2000.." (I paraphrase)) then everyone else starting distant 3rd+

I own the CV and owned the Leica and Nikon - I'd agree with his conclusions fully.

If you decide to acquire a CV (leaping here), there is a forum member here I know is debating selling theirs - I can put you in touch.
Thanks for the info.....I just signed up for a DAP/Zeiss ZF subscription.

Am I correct that the CV 180 is no longer available new? That's the impression I got from the BH Photo info.

I have a feeling that the Leica is way out of my price range, so I may have to settle for less.

Gary
Alaska

robmac

Yup, CV SL (series I) lenses are no more (new). I've owned a number of Leica APOs (90, both 180s, etc) and the CV units are close, damn, damn close for far, far less $$ - even with the ongoing ramp in the CVs used prices.

I tested my CV 90 against my 90AA R. Could not tell the two lenses part re: resolution and the CV had no CA off bright objects in strong sun where the R did. Now to be fair, the 90AA R is not as well corrected for CA as are it's 180mm brothers.

I LOVED the Leica 180s abut while you give up some speed, for $650-700 (CV 180/4 APO) vs $1800-2300 (Leica 180/2.8 APO), I'll give up a stop and that extra Nth percent pixel-peeping (that you won't see in print anyway)....

deepdiver

I just received my Brand new Summilux 80/1.4 :D

Now I have to wait another 10 days, until my Leitax come in T__T
hiks...
10 more daysssssss I'm dying to try it out

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
:eek: beware of the slippery slope ... :D
congrats Andree :thumbup: looking forward to see what the 80 lux does on your D3X