The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

deepdiver

Hi hacker! Great pics..!!
Now I really want to buy Leica 80/1.4 for my nikon DSLR :(
May I know, what was the Aperture that u used?
I really want to get this lens... however, I already have Zeiss 85/1.4
Zeiss 85/1.4 @F1.4 is not very sharp.
How about this lens ?

Thx u
Andree

robmac

Nice shots Hacker. I use the Lux on my 1ds2 and love it. If/when move to Nikon, it's coming with. Never seen such a fast lens in that FL that was so well-corrected for CA and so flare-resistant.

Andree - lens is almost 2 in 1. Softish with nice Madler glow WO-F2. After F2 it sharpens up to 90AA/100APO levels in center frame. very nice gradual shift from out of focus to plane of focus area back to out of focus.

If you hit the respective Leica and Zeiss websites you can download and compare MTFs. See comments above re: CA and flare.

Hacker

Hi hacker! Great pics..!!
Now I really want to buy Leica 80/1.4 for my nikon DSLR :(
May I know, what was the Aperture that u used?
I really want to get this lens... however, I already have Zeiss 85/1.4
Zeiss 85/1.4 @F1.4 is not very sharp.
How about this lens ?

Thx u
Andree
All were wide open at f/1.4. For pictures on lenses, I generally shoot wide open to see how they perform. Of course, I do shoot at other apertures :LOL:. I shot against tress and sky and did not notice any CA or PF. I think the ZF is very sharp, perhaps the focusing is out slightly? Anyway, I'm so surprised that the D700 has focus confirmation, howbeit in the opposite direction of the arrow indicators which can be confusing. For me, I'm really an M shooter, but sold the 75 Lux to get this lens. I think the signature of this lens can only be seen at its best at full frame. I guess the only alternative is the DSLR as there is no FF rangefinder camera yet.

I will be converting the 100 APO also. Will be testing it soon.

Hacker

Some old shots of the M8 + 75mm Summilux f/1.4. The signature is very similar, no doubt due to sharing the same lens design (and designer):

Erik Five

The conversion is reverseble. Therefore you can save it in F mount until the R10 hits the streets ;) View attachment 12556

Hacker

Now I want to convert my 80/1.4 which I have been saving for the R10(wishful thiking). The only issues with the combination ...to my eye...are the color saturation and tone separation. On the DMR the yellow shirt would have more pop and you would see subtle shading/texture in the color. You can get some of this with your post processing .
If I remember correctly ..the 80lux had a cooler look on K64 than the Summicrons.

Great pictures ..you are lucky to have such a cooperative subject!

Roger

deepdiver

Hi hacker
Thx u for the information.
Now I really want Leica 80/1.4 :cry:
I have been using Zeiss 85/1.4 for a while, and I can tell u for sure at @F1.4 Zeiss 85/1.4 is not sharp. It's a bit hazy ( i tried 2 copy already)
I guess the heavy price tag on leica 85/1.4 is really worth :)
If I want to buy Leica 80/1.4, it means I need to sell all my Zeiss ZF lens! (to get $4000) hahahhaa :D

This is a poison for me :cry:

Erik Five

I paid 800$ for my 80 Lux non ROM. Wear to the outside, but pristine glass. I bought it from Adorama...

Hi hacker
Thx u for the information.
Now I really want Leica 80/1.4 :cry:
I have been using Zeiss 85/1.4 for a while, and I can tell u for sure at @F1.4 Zeiss 85/1.4 is not sharp. It's a bit hazy ( i tried 2 copy already)
I guess the heavy price tag on leica 85/1.4 is really worth :)
If I want to buy Leica 80/1.4, it means I need to sell all my Zeiss ZF lens! (to get $4000) hahahhaa :D

This is a poison for me :cry:

beamon

I will be converting the 100 APO also. Will be testing it soon.
I have the 100mm Macro Elmarit also. It is now under consideration by a chap for purchase. If he decides against it I may well convert it for my D700, thus am looking forward to your test with it. :)

B

blakeslo

Hacker, you owe me ~$1200 for the 80mm 1.4 ;), those shots have convinced me. Good work!

Hacker

I have the 100mm Macro Elmarit also. It is now under consideration by a chap for purchase. If he decides against it I may well convert it for my D700, thus am looking forward to your test with it. :)
I have just converted the 100mm Elmarit, so I will take some shots this weekend.

Hacker, you owe me ~$1200 for the 80mm 1.4 ;), those shots have convinced me. Good work!
Post some pictures, would love to see them. Your price seems pretty decent if it is a Mint copy.

Stephen

B

blakeslo

As soon as the Nikon mount is in stock for my 80mm again i will! Yeah im really anal about my equipment being mint so i paid a small premium to get a good copy. I keep my equipment for many many years so it seemed like a good investment. Hey thanks for the Flickr add ps, good work.

Paratom

looks really good!
I just bought a 100 Macro and ordered the Leitax Nikon mount. This opportunity is great and for lenses where you dont need/ want AF I think its great at what prices you can buy Leica R lenses today.
I am looking forward how good the lens will work on my Nikon.
Cheers, Tom

Hacker

I think the 80mm, 100mm, the 90mm APO, the 50mm Cron and the 180mm f/2.8 APO are must have lenses for Nikon users.

robsteve

Subscriber
Has anybody tried the new 28mm Elmarit-R yet? I see the Leitax site has an older 28mm Elmarit converted, but not the newer version.

Robert

Stuart Richardson

I ordered one of these and will be converting my 180mm f/2.8 APO ROM...we'll see. One question I have is whether the screws in the lens mount have anything keeping them tight...are they using lock-tite or something like that? Or can you just unscrew them? Also, my lens was serviced once and it appears to have a slightly stripped screw. Is there any particular technique to get one of those out if it doesn't just come out on its own?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The 180apo is probably my favorite lens on the DMR . The Apo version has an amazing focusing system that allows you to follow focus on a moving subject. Will be interested in your experiences covering the apo version. The pre apo version that I converted was easy . I would recommend buying the tools from Leimax as well . They are inexpensive and work perfectly.