The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

M

marknorton

Question. When you make this conversion, I assume the aperture is entirely manual so that metering is either M or A mode. How about focus? Do you manually open it wide to focus then stop down to shoot or is the focus confirmation good enough down to, say, f5.6?

I'm tempted to go down this route but not if the end result is a pain to use.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
With the 180 preapo I generally work wideopen (2.8) or stopped down to 5.6. I can focus in most situations without opening up(that is I focus with the lens set to 5.6). With the 80/1.4 its 1.4 ;2.8 or 5.6....again focusing with the working aperture.

I only use the focus confirmation to check that I am close..I rely on screen focusing. I think it works pretty well.

I do like the Zeiss 28/2 as the best wide angle alternative.

Stuart Richardson

I finally found something pretty enough to photograph using my 100mm APO elmarit on the D3. These are pretty much just as they are out of the camera, other than white balance and extremely minor sharpening (like 10-14 at .5 radius in lightroom)

That was at f/4

That was wide open I think...it is not as sharp as it was handheld and there is a bit of softness at 100%. You only see the best of this lens on a tripod...preferably with live view focusing and a cable release...and no wind.

The first one is sharp...as expected. 100%

Last edited:

Lars

The baby photos have very bad background, and any lens would have produced the same. I took the photos when it was heavily raining, so I did not have good lighting, and the mat is quite er...ugly.
The internal vignetting is visible even half way from the corners and creating an inconsistent bokeh that gets a bit disturbing, like in the green leaves in background of the portraits of the kid, and the clipped specular highlights in the portrait of the woman in front of a computer. That's why it would be interesting to see the 80 stopped down a bit to see if it improves.

Stuart Richardson

I really think it is personal taste -- I love the way the backgrounds look and don't find the vignetting objectionable at all.

If you want to see vignetting, try using the Nikon 50/1.4 at f/1.4:

I think the bokeh is a lot worse too. But I do think it is very clear that it is all a personal thing.

Lars

I really think it is personal taste -- I love the way the backgrounds look and don't find the vignetting objectionable at all.

If you want to see vignetting, try using the Nikon 50/1.4 at f/1.4:

I think the bokeh is a lot worse too. But I do think it is very clear that it is all a personal thing.
Hehe the AF 50/1.4D (if that's the one you used) is legendary for it's bokeh ;) let's not pick on the born loser shall we?

When I'm talking about vignetting I worry less about falloff (easily corrected digitally, and normally compensated in the process by the enlarger lens falloff when enlarging negs). What I care more about is specular out-of-focus highlights fairly close to the center of the image rendered as half-moons. Try taking your 80/1.4 out around town at night to do some portraits wide open with street lights in the background and you will see what I mean - I suspect it won't hold up well. That's why it would be interesting to see it at f/2 and f/2.8.

Leica 77

Hello,
I have been enjoying viewing various posts in the Leica R lens on Nikon D3 thread. Thanks to David of Leitax, I have been able to put Nikon bayonets on Leica R lenses that I have owned for some time. Since I do not own any high-end Nikon Digital SLRs such as Nikon D3 or Nikon D3x, I use a moderately priced Nikon D300. I took a couple of pictures of my Leica R lenses mounted on one of my favorite vintage Nikon SLRs -- black Nikon F with F-36. Thanks. Leica 77

Last edited:

Hacker

I own many modern Leica ASPH/APO lenses, and more often than not, I prefer the vintage look of the older designs, especially the Sonnars.

Leica 77

Hello Hacker,
Definitely, there is something to be said and praised about the timeless fine designs of vintage photographic equipment. Modern designs are definitely attractive to many contemporary consumers and professionals alike ... Thanks. Leica 77:)

leif e

The F is one truly beautiful camera! Beauty is perhaps not the correct phrase for the motor, though ... :)
leif e

Leica 77

Hello leif e of Norway and robmac,
Many thanks for your kind words about the vintage Nikon F. Yes, there are real switches, metal, and some brassing!! In the era of modern Digital Cameras, some vintage cameras and lenses remain timeless and retain their own charm. Once again, thanks for your positive comments! Leica 77 :salute:

Last edited:

episa

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon DSLR

This is my first post on this forum who caught my attention as my interest has shifted from Nikon AF lenses to high quality prime lenses such as Zeiss and Leica.
I appreciate the quality of the posts and need to thank in particular Andree (deep diver on this forum) from whom I discovered on Clubsnap the great quality of the Zeiss ZF lenses. His great photos made me buy 3 ZF lenses (100mm/35mm/21mm) and 1 voigtlander (58mm Nokton).

I understand that he is now selling his zeiss lenses to discover the world of Leica R lenses adapted on Nikon bodies (theme of this thread). I happened to have done such a conversion some time ago using the Leitax bayonet on my Leica Elmarit 180mm APO-ROM. As I was among the first to have tried the leitax product with that lens, David from Leitax asked me to photograph the process which is now posted on his website:

http://leitax.com/conversion/leica/APO-Elmarit_180-2.8/index.html

I really enjoy so far the Leica experience on my Nikon D300 and D700 in particular (easier to manually focus). I sold back my Nikon 180mm AF ED right away and does not wish to look back.

I have a set of pictures taken with this 180mm APO lens at the following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37067061@N05/sets/72157616543206365/

I will try to contribute to this forum as much as I was able to profit from it. Thank you all for your great posts and advice....

robmac

episa - very nice and welcome. The Leica 180 APO is a beaut.

leica77 - no need for thanks. You have some nice gear. The whole discussion reminds me of a scene from a Nicholas Cage movie - "Gone In 60 Seconds" IIRC. Essence was his character indicated (I paraphrase) as he was casing a car to steal:

"...any @#$%^ can buy a Ferrari Testarossa to drive to Starbucks. It takes a real connoisseur to appreciate a (IIRC) Ferrari GTB (60s vintage) ..."

Be it one of the older bodies or any generation of manual focus lens, that solid construction, smooth focus, the snick of the switches/aperture ring and (gasp) a VF designed for manual focus really makes one want to go shooting.

Damn, I sound old now.

bubuli

pic of my new lens on my camera :)

i keep returning to this particular post for some reason. damn, that R lens on the D3x looks really mighty appealing. :) i gotta admit, Leica sure knows how to design handsome-looking lenses that performs well.

Leica 77

Hello robmac,
I appreciated your wise analogy using a scene from "Gone in 60 Seconds". Next time when I visit the nearby Starbucks Coffeeshop, should I carry my vintage Nikon F or the Nikon Digital SLR coupled with one of the Leica R lenses? Best regards, Leica 77 :)
P.S. Despite my name "Leica 77", I am not really that old. I am just a happily retired university professor... :angel: