The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I learned of this on another thread here. A Spainish company Leitax.com has a new replaceable lens mount that allows for many of the Leica R lenses to be used on a D3 /D700 body. Since I still have several older R lenses that dont sell at $400 ...I decided to try one.

I replaced the mount on the 2nd version of the 180/2.8 . The 67mm version before the release of the APO . Still a fine lens even by today s standards .

it will take me a few days to work through some tests to insure that operationally this makes sense ..but the initial tests look great .

The change out process is described in detail at Leitax.com website including pictures of the lenses they have converted . It took less than 15 minutes to do this and I am not skilled at this type work. I bought the tools recommended and they were perfect for the task.

I started with the 180/2.8 because I had one ,it was a low cost trial(verses say a 80/1.4 or a 100APO). Its also a focal length with few alternatives for a prime .

As I get some images I will try to get a post up to show the potential. :thumbup:

Roger

atanabe

Roger,
I am also toying with the idea. From the description, it seems that the process is reversible. I am thinking of doing this with my 180 Apo Telyt. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Al

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger,
I am also toying with the idea. From the description, it seems that the process is reversible. I am thinking of doing this with my 180 Apo Telyt. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Al
Al

It appears reversible as there is no cutting or shaving involved . Pretty simple and certainly reversible by a technician . Working on some test shots now.

Roger

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I realize that this isn t much of a test ...but it provides an idea of what the file looked like. Unfortunately the 180:2.8 preAPO version is much slower to focus than the APO version. The flower was at minimum focusing distance and at 2.8 .

atanabe

Roger,
Lots of detail from that combo. How much sharpening did you use? The veins of the hibiscus really pop.

I have a D1x that I have been thinking about getting the mount changed to Leica R so that I could use my R lenses till the R10 hits (wishful thinking). Before the Canon slings and arrows start, I like the CCD images from the D1x's lowly 5.47mpx sensor. To me, the files look much better than the Canon files. Yes, I did have a Canon and shot with R lenses adapted to it. I jut did not like the feel of the images off the Canon sensor.

I may have to give this a try.

Thanks,
Al

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Al

I use the Landscape setting on LR 2.2 as my starting point....its 40/.8/50/0...rarely go away from that except to maybe 40/.5/50/0 unless its a portrait. The clarity setting is also important as it acts a unsharp mask does and enhances the midtone contrast ... The only thing perfectly sharp are one row of the yellow flowers.

Its sharp enough to see the focus plane which is less than 2 inches at closest focusing point .

Working on a few to post from the beach.

DigaLloyd just posted a test with the APO 180/2.8 on a D3X ...this must be the champ at the 180 focal length. I use the APO on the DMR ....its too much of a lens for me to screw around with the mount.

Roger

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Illustrations....first is full image...2nd is 1:1 crop of the eye. Look at the lower edge of the eye to see where the focus point starts and ends. This is the pre Apo 180 2.8 at 5.6 .

atanabe

Roger,
You convinced me, put an order in today. I will be converting a 180 APO Telyt 3.4 to start with.
Al

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I use the focus confirmation but find it unnecessary with the 180 on a D3. The standard screen works fine and it seems even better than the DMR..but maybe thats just the Florida light.

Sharpness is not an issue and comparing the D3/LR to my DMR and M8....I would say the D3/LR is sharper . The D3 doesn t match the color saturation of the DMR or the M8 ..at least I can t get the files to do so in Lightroom. Now maybe with the right camera profile and LR presets ...I can get closer.

The Apo Telyt should be a good test as it has always excelled at creating the deep blues and bright highlights around water.

I ordered two more mounts today.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hacker,
These look very nice. They have a very saturated look (my first thought was that they look like film). Is there any post-processing involved?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hacker

Now I want to convert my 80/1.4 which I have been saving for the R10(wishful thiking). The only issues with the combination ...to my eye...are the color saturation and tone separation. On the DMR the yellow shirt would have more pop and you would see subtle shading/texture in the color. You can get some of this with your post processing .
If I remember correctly ..the 80lux had a cooler look on K64 than the Summicrons.

Great pictures ..you are lucky to have such a cooperative subject!

Roger