The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Orange Peel

timparkin

Well, I displayed Amin's image at 200% using Tim's sharpening parameters.
Then l looked at the image with a magnifying glass while varying the Detail parameter between 0% and 100%.
Can't miss it that way.
Lightroom and ACR process files differently based on the camera type.

Try converting files to raw tiffs using something like raw photo pro and then sharpen in Lightroom and the results are identicla

Godfrey

I have looked at the photos in this thread as carefully as I can and I still have no idea whatever what you mean by "orange peel". Can you show me an image that doesn't have it against one that does?

G

k-hawinkler

I have looked at the photos in this thread as carefully as I can and I still have no idea whatever what you mean by "orange peel". Can you show me an image that doesn't have it against one that does?

G
Here you go with Detail=0%:

and here with Detail=100%:

ACR in CS6 was used to process Amin's .NEF file. Crops at 400%.
I used Tim Ashley's sharpening parameters except for Detail as indicated.

Last edited:

Amin

I'm curious as to whether this OP effect is seen in any raw processor other than ACR/LR. Does Iridient, for example, show it? The only app I use these days is C1. I used to love Iridient, but I switched to Windows for my main workstation.

V

Vivek

K-H, Thanks for the showing what is being talked about! I was looking for something orange in color. :LOL:

Here is a capture of a dancer- whole frame resized.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Leica MM, Apo Summicron 75/2

~400% magnification of a small crop from the above showing the onion rings projected by the aspherical element (I have been look for this for a while from this lens!).

OPcrop by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

If I sharpen an image taken with this combo (MM+ 75/2) like the "orange peel" demos, it will never work (will be too brittle- I refer to the images with something in focus).

What I understood from reading this thread (and another) are these:

1. There is no Leica "Orange peel".
2. There is nothing wrong with LR or Adobe products.
3. If I snap an out of focus image using a RF, I missed the focus patch (being tired or rather some issue with my eye or it was unusable).
4. Onion ring is easier to spot than "orange peel".

I will look for that Fisher price camera. Who knows- it may turn out to be a perfect match for my snap work. :LOL:

k-hawinkler

I'm curious as to whether this OP effect is seen in any raw processor other than ACR/LR. Does Iridient, for example, show it? The only app I use these days is C1. I used to love Iridient, but I switched to Windows for my main workstation.
Yes, [COLOR="#FFFFE00"]Iridium does[/COLOR] with an appropriate choice of sharpening parameters, like this:

Radius = 1.00
Edge Detail = 500
Texture/Micro Detail = 25
Edge Masking = 0

k-hawinkler

This Orange Peel was produced with Capture One, so C1:

Sharpening parameters used:

Amount = 1000
Radius = 1.0
Threshhold = 0.0.

[COLOR="#FFFFE00"]I think the trick is to avoid Orange Peel.
Therefore this concludes my excursion into that effect.

[/COLOR]

Godfrey

Here you go with Detail=0%:
Ah, I see. So this is a visual effect that looks similar to reticulation in temperature shocked film development, caused by sharpening parameters at the extreme limits and visible under very close inspection.

Okay, I'll move along. Has no meaning for me .. I almost never apply any sharpening to my photos that would cause this. :)

G

k-hawinkler

Wow, you are the Peel Master! Those are some insane sharpening settings for C1 though :p.
Thanks Amin. No I am not, more the Peel Avoidance type.
I think the names you mentioned first in this thread are truly deserving of that label. :banghead: :grin: :ROTFL:

All the sharpening settings I used were extreme to show the effect.
But then it's easy to produce a more subtle kind of Orange Peel or avoid it altogether! :thumbs:

Hulyss Bowman

Ah, I see. So this is a visual effect that looks similar to reticulation in temperature shocked film development...
Best explanation so far about the phenomenon. This is what come closer visually outside informatics pipeline. We can also compare it to a pearl texturing on certain papers.

Anyway I'm curious to know if it is a physical issue, like micro-lenses layer, or a software issue.