The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Tamron Primes; very promising

Swissblad

Just saw these on NR as well - very interesting - especially for travel photography.

Like the addition of VR.

Seems like Tamron is following Sigma for a new quality line.

:thumbs:

V

Vivek

Just saw these on NR as well - very interesting - especially for travel photography.

Like the addition of VR.

Seems like Tamron is following Sigma for a new quality line.

:thumbs:
I agree. Together with Sigma, they seem to be redefining how a prime can be. :)

Hulyss Bowman

I like what I see. I'm not at all a tamron guy, at all ! But what I see is well rounded high quality primes, studied piece of optics who might have far better performance than brand lenses. I do not know about the reliability but for now, Imho, with this price range and quality those two lenses outclass Sigma.

Sigma did very wrong with the Art line just because no weather sealing. WS is a must have for any niche because it bring a feeling of "security" to the future owner. Even if he do not use the lens under harsh conditions, he know he can do it. This is a huge +. He just trust more his material.

From the samples, so far, I prefer the tamron bokeh over the Sigma one, big time.

bravo tamron.

Some samples here ... just very very good, seriously unexpected.

TAMRON SP 35mm & 45mm f1.8 Di VC USD

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While these lenses look nice I do not see any reason to start trusting Tamron again. I have had so many bad experiences with that company that I decided never ever to buy one of their ..... anymore. Even if it looks nice than nicer!

Also I do not see what they bring above original Nikon as well as Sigma Art lenses.

Hulyss Bowman

I'm confident that this lenses will be as advertised. I'm also sure Tamron and Sigma are at war in the third party lens market. Tamron just wake up after Sigma, hired somehow a good photographer for the PR campaign and just show the teeth with a lot of "probable" features at a very competitive price.

I won't buy it but let see in 6 months how it evolute. I agree, Tamron need to "prove" what they really worth. If those primes are in fact solid and reliable, I might save up for the 35mm (more than 300€ less expensive than the CZ 35f2).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm confident that this lenses will be as advertised. I'm also sure Tamron and Sigma are at war in the third party lens market. Tamron just wake up after Sigma, hired somehow a good photographer for the PR campaign and just show the teeth with a lot of "probable" features at a very competitive price.

I won't buy it but let see in 6 months how it evolute. I agree, Tamron need to "prove" what they really worth. If those primes are in fact solid and reliable, I might save up for the 35mm (more than 300€ less expensive than the CZ 35f2).
Totally agree that Tamron has to prove. Maybe they will get better over time, but I have the feeling that there is lot of hype and - please excuse my thoughts - I am getting really tired lately of all this hype all around photography. Everybody (every company somehow in that market) reinvents photography new again and again (Fuji, Sony, .....) and there are lot of other vendors keeping to jump on that bandwagon like Zeiss, Sigma and now Tamron. And only few of them really make it to lasting products. But all make big hype first, which I am meanwhile getting really tired of.

Not your fault of course and I do NOT INTEND to kill the messenger, hope you understand :)

Anyway we will see what comes out of this - maybe there is a pleasant surprise.

Peter

Hulyss Bowman

Totally agree that Tamron has to prove. Maybe they will get better over time, but I have the feeling that there is lot of hype and - please excuse my thoughts - I am getting really tired lately of all this hype all around photography. Everybody (every company somehow in that market) reinvents photography new again and again (Fuji, Sony, .....) and there are lot of other vendors keeping to jump on that bandwagon like Zeiss, Sigma and now Tamron. And only few of them really make it to lasting products. But all make big hype first, which I am meanwhile getting really tired of.

Not your fault of course and I do NOT INTEND to kill the messenger, hope you understand :)

Anyway we will see what comes out of this - maybe there is a pleasant surprise.

Peter
Ha no ! no worry :p I understand you and agree about the Hype and PR. Last years was all about "retro style", "superior quality", "niche market", "if you do not have a Billingham bag your nobody", "show me your stuff I'll tell you how much money you have".

All but at the end of the day... not many about photography. You can't find more tired than me about this madness, actually.

That said, if this tamron is tested by some well known guys over here, and the results are promising, I will probably buy into it because I'm rather poor :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interestingly, I have two Tamron lenses that perform very differently:

The 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6, a lens from the film era that went out of production around 2005. Optically, it's really only good below 70mm, but mechanically, it's top notch, a joy to use, and it's a good enough lens on a 12MP camera like the D700.

The 17-50mm f/2.8, which is uninspiring but rather good optically from wide open. Mechanically however, it's just cheap. I use it with the D300 when I'm not sure if my gear will survive the conditions I'm working under.

So if Tamron can get back to the mechanical qualities of the old lenses and make the optical part better than the 17-50mm (which they seem to have succeeded with), this is interesting. For me, the 45mm is a no-brainer and a compliment to the manual focus Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 that I already use.

Swissblad

Sigma had a very bad reputation a few years ago regarding quality control etc, which they took great care to address with their new contemporary, sport and ART series.

Tamron had a few lenses in the past with stunning IQ - the 90mm macro comes to mind - really a legend in its time.

Others like the 200-400mm zoom were best left alone.....:(

I really hope these new lenses set a new quality standard.

I think they could make great companions for a light FX body.....Df or D750.....dream on.

:toocool:

Lars

he latest Tamron I had was a 17-50/2.8 on my D2X. It wasn't very fond of concrete.
The D2X didn't seem to mind though.

That said - I think every lens design and production series should be seen in isolation - optically the design choices are infinite, and mechanically, well, let's just wait for user reviews.

I like the positioning - not everyone must have f/1.4 lenses, 1.8 allows for less compromise in optical design. And while these lenses are far from tiny (67 mm front thread), they are just over half the size and weight of the Sigma ART series. Let's hope they match optically and are decent mechanically.

EDIT: Ok, not quite half but susbstantially smaller and lighter.

Last edited:

Dogs857

Tamron seems to have reacted to what Sigma has been able to achieve and they are really bringing out some nice looking lenses.

I am going to watch this one with great interest. Weather sealing is a big plus for me.

Also check out their SP 15-30mm as well, it is getting big wraps from some corners.

Swissblad

I'm a bit disappointed by the price of these new lenses - the Tamron 35mm 1.8 is currently listed locally at almost $400 more than the Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART......

:shocked:

Swissblad

Seems EU prices are way off base..... similar comments posted on NR forum.

Guess Tamron will wake up and change their policy.

Lars

Give it a month or two - competition will likely push down the price level in Europe.