The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GraduatedND Filters - still useful in the digital era?

Swissblad

Hi folks

In the film era (mainly Fuji Velvia) I frequently resorted to using a graduated ND filter - a practise I largely abandoned in the digital age - due to the DR of cameras such as at the D800 etc.

Query - are their any folks still using such filters?

At times I wonder if they could be a help - but I've found my old filters (Singh Ray etc) give a horrendous colour cast with modern cameras.

Thanks or any feedback.

S ;)

synn

I still use my grad NDs with my Nikon and Leaf Credo kits. Strictly speaking, they are not necessary, but i find that the results are somehow more pleasant than doing it in post and also, it's good to see the result in-camera.

I use Hi-tech Grad filters that do not have any color cast, but the pro-stop ND filter does have one. But since it is universal, it's not so hard to fix in most scenes. The Lee Little Stopper I have has no real color cast though.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In film days, I had an assortment of hard and soft feather 2 and 3 stop SND's I used regularly, often in combo, to achieve the desired effect without leaving the notable "line" through the image. With the introduction of layers and masks for early digital I abandoned them as it was so easy to draw in a perfect horizon match and adjust to my liking after the fact in post. And now with simply so much DR in a digital original, we don't even need a layer, just a mask and adjustments. End of day, it's so easy to do it better digitally in post that I cannot see any advantage to an SND for my uses. I do still however carry and use digital IR-ND filters, specifically a 3 and 6 stop, mostly to blur moving water during normal daylight exposures.

Swissblad

Thanks for the info Jack - very useful.

I have a set of normal NDs + polariser for the same purpose.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
While we are on the subject, I should elaborate on IR-ND versus regular ND filters. For many digital cams, IR bleeds past a regular ND filter and contaminate color, usually adding an ugly brown-yellow. The issue is most notable after 3 stops and very significant after 6 stops, so we highly recommend the IR-ND's to our workshop participants -- offered FWIW.

I do also carry a polarizer, and though I use it very infrequently it's nice to have when you need it as its effect is not easily replicated in post.

carl-b

I used them when i had my fuji s3 pro and then Nikon D200, and will continue to use them when i get a D800 later this year. I prefer to get it right in the camera, so i spend less time after with editing. I have tried the expose for the sky/ foreground and merge, but it doesn't suit me. So if i can get it in one shot using filters, i will. :)

vjr

Hi folks

In the film era (mainly Fuji Velvia) I frequently resorted to using a graduated ND filter - a practise I largely abandoned in the digital age - due to the DR of cameras such as at the D800 etc.

Query - are their any folks still using such filters?

At times I wonder if they could be a help - but I've found my old filters (Singh Ray etc) give a horrendous colour cast with modern cameras.

Thanks or any feedback.

S ;)
I have a set of Lee Graduated N.D. filters, Soft and Hard 2 stop filters and a holder for Polarize filter. I do not use them very often, but at times I wish I had used them when I am reviewing photos. Granted I can implement Graduated filter in LR, but somehow it is not the same and there is no way to substitute affect of polarize filter in LR.

tcdeveau

I've got a 3-stop hard and a 3-stop soft that I find useful and still use. For anything up to 2 I just expose for highlights and use software.