The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's heeeree!

D&A

Quickly had opportunity to test two samples of this lens out last week. As others had noted, impressive, even with use of their 1.4x as Jack had noted. I think Nikon is responding to market and competitive pressure from both Tamron and Sigma.

Dave (D&A)

mark1958

I received my replaced 200-500mm and took it out for an hour or so yesterday at a popular bird site in the area. Here are some 100 percent crops. RAW converted in CS6 and a little output sharpening added. The AF is good in decent light. I started to play around with VR in sport vs normal mode. My feeling is that even for birds in flight the normal setting may be better (more keepers) but i need to play around a bit more. I used the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters as well. The avocets in the water was at effective 700mm using 1.4x. AF is slowed a bit. I could not get the camera to fire even when in focus with the 2x teleconverter. I need to see what is up with that as Jack seems to have gotten the camera to fire. I rarely use the 2x converter though. The lens is not that heavy considering. I like it more than my 80-400mm but would like to try a side by side at some point.

Attachments

stngoldberg

I received my replaced 200-500mm and took it out for an hour or so yesterday at a popular bird site in the area. Here are some 100 percent crops. RAW converted in CS6 and a little output sharpening added. The AF is good in decent light. I started to play around with VR in sport vs normal mode. My feeling is that even for birds in flight the normal setting may be better (more keepers) but i need to play around a bit more. I used the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters as well. The avocets in the water was at effective 700mm using 1.4x. AF is slowed a bit. I could not get the camera to fire even when in focus with the 2x teleconverter. I need to see what is up with that as Jack seems to have gotten the camera to fire. I rarely use the 2x converter though. The lens is not that heavy considering. I like it more than my 80-400mm but would like to try a side by side at some point.
2x won't fire in low light

Stanley

kxl

Hello everyone - my first post here at getdpi. I got my lens last week, but haven't really had a chance to test it out other than a few shots at a local park.

Handheld with a D800e, PS Auto levels only

100% crop.