The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hilarious Df Review

Dogs857

Not sure if you blokes have seen this or not but F Stoppers have done a pretty cool review of the Nikon Df.

Well maybe uncool, depending on if you are cool enough to get it or not :)

JohnBrew

Dogs, thanks for posting this. Although I live in the Charleston area I don't know the photographer or am I familiar with him, but then my photographer friends are a very small group of older ex-professionals. It is funny - even my wife, who works at CofC liked it.
Bottom line - an interesting take on the Df and probably DSLR's in general.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pretty dang funny! But let's hope to all heck he doesn't review the Sony A7r2 or a Leica digital M -- there would be a hit squad on him within hours!!!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Did a disservice to the cam

D4s sensor in a small body ....

Put it in a Holga 120 Plastic cam and it still makes great color and compelling presence ... lens dependent.

The whole review was a selfie in disguise.

Me cool ... rest of you not so!

And I loved the vid ... but I also like the cam ... however a D810 is the same price and not crippled by Nikon

Think I would opt for another D810

Bob

Dogs857

The D800 is for hiding in the bushes, the Df is for families in the park.

I smell a new marketing slogan

Godfrey

Saw this video a while ago. Amusing.

I bought a D750. Standard black lump DSLR. Smaller and lighter than D810, similar in size to F6. Works the way I want.

Since using either the F6 or the D750 for a while, my lovely old black-paint Leicaflex SL no longer feels large and heavy ... and is far more beautiful than either. And my Leica M-P feels small and looks svelte. ]'-)

G

V

Vivek

I watched the whole thing. It is scripted and a tells a preconceived story. He would do well with this sort of presentations. Entertaining. :)

turtle

Amusing and a nice change to the usual reviews. Love the hipster look. He dressed and shaved like a carbon copy of one of my good friends who swears he is not a hipster :D

mmbma

Amusing and a nice change to the usual reviews. Love the hipster look. He dressed and shaved like a carbon copy of one of my good friends who swears he is not a hipster :D
I love the DF. at first i thought i wouldn't but it grew on me. and Yes, it does look Fing cool. nothing wrong with that

Dogs857

Me too.

I thought it would be too small and fiddly but it is the best camera I have owned in a long long time.

The Df rocks.

chrism

Enough of hipsters making fun of me! I smoked a pipe until my wife made me give it up (still would if left me alone....)

C.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Me too.

I thought it would be too small and fiddly but it is the best camera I have owned in a long long time.

The Df rocks.
Ditto. My take on it was that I had a better sensor than the D4s in a body designed for AIS lenses. For that it was my favourite DSLR in a long long time.

I sold mine for the 2nd time to fund my Sony crack habit but I'd buy it again if I needed a Nikon based camera. I preferred it over my D800.

As regards hipster, yup. He could have dressed and shot the same way here in Portland and fit in. I do think however that he'd need to colour his hair and have a bunch of tattoos to really blend into the Portlandia scene.

D&A

I see Graham's ditto and raise him one. :). Therefore ditto + for me regarding the Df. Both handling and file output are exemplary and the camera is a pleasure to use.My favorite Nikon body in a very long time. Nice to see so many fans.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the Df for over 8 months and loved it. Finally sold it to fund my D810, and I must say this was one of the best decisions of my photography life. The D810 rocks in every aspect, handling, IB, sensor, speed, ease of use etc. SO while I find the Df a great camera to use for older Nikon glass, the D810 can do that as well in most cases, plus it offers all the benefits described, including video.