The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
At $1300 it's at least affordable. If I had known this was coming, I might have held off buying the 24 -- but then the 24 is just stellar and a focal I use a lot. If it is as good as the predecessors, then it will be in my stable eventually.

I am not sold on f1.4 for a 20 and think incredible performance in a smaller f2 version might be more desirable for most. In fact, I would be happy with f2 in 20 and 24, though admittedly, the shallow DoF from f1.4 remains prominent in the 24 images which did surprise me a bit, so maybe this 20 will surprise me too ;)

trioderob

At $1300 it's at least affordable. If I had known this was coming, I might have held off buying the 24 -- but then the 24 is just stellar and a focal I use a lot. If it is as good as the predecessors, then it will be in my stable eventually.

I am not sold on f1.4 for a 20 and think incredible performance in a smaller f2 version might be more desirable for most. In fact, I would be happy with f2 in 20 and 24, though admittedly, the shallow DoF from f1.4 remains prominent in the 24 images which did surprise me a bit, so maybe this 20 will surprise me too ;)
I have wondered this myself. dont most people who buy a 20-24 do so to take landscapes ? if my logic is true why not create a small lens that is f3 - f4 and optimized for infinity ?

wonder how this will stack up vs the Zeiss 21 ?

kxl

If true, the choice of focal length for the next f1.4 ART lens is somewhat surprising. I would've thought for sure that a 28mm/1.4 ART would come before a 20mm.
A 28mm would make more sense for general use and IMHO, would not cannibalize sales of the 35mm/1.4 ART. In fact, owners of the 50mm/1.4 ART would be a ready market for a 28mm/1.4 ART, especially with the dearth of options from Nikon. Even the much rumored 85mm/1.4 ART would have been less of a surprise.

Shooting a 20mm lens is demanding and not really for general use. I would think that most DSLR shooters who shoot ultra wide lenses use zooms. I happen to own the Nikon 20/1.8 AFS G lens, which is a great value and does the job that I need it for. I'm sure the ART lens will be better, but I don't think I'll be selling my Nikon 20mm any time soon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Will be interesting to see, but tit has to be very good to compete with the Zeiss 21mm. For me, an 18mm f/2 would have been more interesting.

As for landscapes, I rarely shoot landscapes, but often do portraits and group portraits with the 21. Sometimes, I wouldn't mind f/1.4 for that.

Paul2660

new lens is coming - get ready to spend money I know a few of you wont be able to resist

I may be selling my 24mm 1.4 as this lens may be a solution for me for sure. Sigma for the first time is using the word "coma" in their design specs, so it's possible that this lens my have considerably less coma than the 24mm 1.4 at 1.6 to 2.0.

However it looks like the hood is a full time design which means filtering may be problematic.

Paul

Yes will be interesting to test. I've used and tested the sigma 24mm art on a D810, as well as the new nikon 20mm f/1.8 G.

Other than the faster aperture...they were only a hair better in IQ than my 14-24mm f/2.8. I know the 14-24mm is a good lens but maybe I have a really great copy. It's amazing even in the corners.

I ended up getting rid of both the primes because I just couldn't justify keeping them. I'm still in the market for a super stellar fast prime wide so am interested in the new 28mm otus and this sigma 20mm.

So many lenses...so little time (and $ :)

Jordan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My issue with the 14-24 was more about distortion and focus shift than resolution. It also had flare issues, but all that said it is an excellent lens for that zoom range regardless.

Paul2660

My issue with the 14-24 was more about distortion and focus shift than resolution. It also had flare issues, but all that said it is an excellent lens for that zoom range regardless.
Still love the 14-24, but I agree the flare can really cause problems. I finally just got used to shooting on a tripod and using my finger to block the sun on at least one frame. The 14-24 always seems to be able to grab the moon or sun from behind the shot. Distortion can also be a problem for sure especially in the 14mm to 18mm range.

I keep hearing good things about the Tamron 15-30, (think I have that correct).

Paul

D&A

Agree that for landscape use a fast f1.4 in a 20mm focal length lens generally isn't needed but for artistic shots including close focus near-far effect, the shallow depth of field supplied by an aperture of f1.4 in a 20mm lens is extremely useful. All depends on what ones primary use of the lens will be used for.

Dave (D&A)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
$899? Looks like a great deal if it's good, but is it possible to make a great 20mm f/1.4 at that price? Time will show, I guess.

miska

This will be an excellent lens for Astro-landscape (night sky stuff). If the image quality at full aperture is good...

archivue

899$... i thought it will be around 1300... i'm waiting for a test !

I hope now, that at some points, sigma will produce a 35 PC...

i allready have the 35 ART and the 50 ART... so far so good !

Swissblad

I don't see a PC being in their line up.

The ART series seems to be dedicated to fast (f1.4) fixed primes or fast zooms (f1.8 / f2.0).

I'm really hoping to see a fast 135mm ART lens (f1.8 or f2.0).

jph

It's a paid service. It sounds like the cost varies depending on where your service center is. Nice to have that option. I noticed the service has been available since September 2nd, 2013. I wonder if anyone here has taken advantage of it?