The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art lens

GlenC

Looking like the 20mm Sigma will not be coma free, in fact it appears to be about as bad as the 24mm 1.4. This is link to a blog in Poland, that has some good corner crops.

F1.4 is terrible, but by F2.0 it might be useable.

Take a look and pass on your thoughts.

http://www.optyczne.pl/376.7-Test_obiektywu-Sigma_A_20_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Koma__astygmatyzm_i_bokeh.html

Paul C

just fyi, I found an English version of the above article:
http://www.lenstip.com/457.7-Lens_review-Sigma_A_20_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Coma__astigmatism_and_bokeh.html

Paul2660

After looking again on my PC, F2.0 is not too bad, as I only see very faint wings on the stars nearest the corners.

Those results are definitely better than my Nikon 20mm 1.8 at either F 2.0 or 2.2 and 2.5.

As more show up in reviews time will tell.

I have noticed sadly quite a bit of sample variation in the Art glass I have purchased, both the 35mm and 24mm 1.4 lenses.

Paul C

Swissblad

After looking again on my PC, F2.0 is not too bad, as I only see very faint wings on the stars nearest the corners.

Those results are definitely better than my Nikon 20mm 1.8 at either F 2.0 or 2.2 and 2.5.

As more show up in reviews time will tell.

I have noticed sadly quite a bit of sample variation in the Art glass I have purchased, both the 35mm and 24mm 1.4 lenses.

Paul C
Could you please post some samples, Paul.

Thanx, S ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great to see this wonderful performance of the Nikkor 1.8/20G - on my buying list now!

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I see the images here, and I regret selling my 17-35/2.8... OTOH, I do miss the ZF18 a little too. But the lens I really miss in this focal is the Leica 19R -- this is a gap in my current stable.

Paul2660

Jack, do you mean the Zeiss 18mm by ZF18mm? I was curious as I love that lens more each time I use it. Small, light, and less flare prone than others in this size. Just a bit slow for night work, however since I picked up a D750, I am using the Zeiss 18mm a lot more. Very strong all the way to the corners. The D750 is an excellent high iso camera, easily cleaner than my D810 at settings of 2500 or higher. So the 2 less stops of light with the Zeiss 18mm are more workable.

On the Nikkor 20mm F 1.8, I agree it can produce excellent images. However it's not that great for manual focus, at least for my work, as the focus ring is not damped enough to make fine adjustments. My issues with it are the coma, which I know most folks are not too worried about. The coma aberration on the 20mm Nikon F 1.8 is very harsh, really not totally out of the image in the corners until past F 3.5. May just be my example, but I have also read about others with the same issue.

Paul C

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, do you mean the Zeiss 18mm by ZF18mm? I was curious as I love that lens more each time I use it. Small, light, and less flare prone than others in this size.
Hi Paul, yes, exactly that lens -- well the ZF-2 version to be precise ;) I could probably make do with the 20/1.8, but for most of the purposes I want the 20 focal for, the 24 suffices. THe 18 was enough wider to be more useful to me in tight locals. But then the 14 is even wider and pretty remarkable too...

Paul2660

Hi Jack.

Which brand of 14mm? I am always looking for ultra wides. I have considered the 15mm Zeiss but have so far held off due to the cost and size/weight of the 15mm Zeiss.

Thanks
Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack.

Which brand of 14mm? I am always looking for ultra wides. I have considered the 15mm Zeiss but have so far held off due to the cost and size/weight of the 15mm Zeiss.

Thanks
Paul
Believe it or not, I have the Samyang, and by all my testing for landscape it is quite excellent considering the price! I have not however, tested it for coma/astro. It on my D800E out-resolved the Rodie 24mm over my IQ-180 (back when I owned it) by a notable margin, including (and especially) in the corners.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I see the images here, and I regret selling my 17-35/2.8... OTOH, I do miss the ZF18 a little too. But the lens I really miss in this focal is the Leica 19R -- this is a gap in my current stable.
Hopefully, there will be Milvus 18mm.