The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 Live view and Manual focussing

archivue

Hi,
when i'm using my D800 on a tripod with live view in M mode, i've notice that when i'm using the zoom function of the live view the F stop remains stopped ( F9 in my case ).

So, if i want to focus wide open (better focus accuracy), i have to select F1.4 and change the speed as well... and after, i have to going back to my previous F stop and speed to shoot... what a waste of time...
is there any way to focus wide open without changing the F stop selected... just using a Fn key for example ?

Are things better with the D810 ?

Alan

I don't know if there's a better way, but with my 800 & 810, I change the aperture and press the "OK" button. That switches exposure preview on/off so you don't have to change the shutter speed to see.

vjr

Hi,
when i'm using my D800 on a tripod with live view in M mode, i've notice that when i'm using the zoom function of the live view the F stop remains stopped ( F9 in my case ).

So, if i want to focus wide open (better focus accuracy), i have to select F1.4 and change the speed as well... and after, i have to going back to my previous F stop and speed to shoot... what a waste of time...
is there any way to focus wide open without changing the F stop selected... just using a Fn key for example ?

Are things better with the D810 ?
Hi, somehow I drifted to Nikon territory, but your issue is similar to what I was facing with my Leica. Than I found that if I halve press the shutter release that I was able to manually focus at f 1.4 via live view and than stop to f 11. Might not work with Nikon, but worth trying. Regards, Vlad.