The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 85's

JohnBrew

Has anyone had an opportunity to test or know of a comparison test between the ZF.2 85 1.4 Milvus versus the ZF.2 85 1.4 Otus? I ask because the lens formulas seemed very close and considering the Otus is over $2K more I wonder what you are getting for your money.

I suppose if no one has done this I would be willing to rent both (if available) and do a test myself.

dwood

I just rented the Milvus 85...arrived today. I plan on taking it out this weekend for some serious testing, but I've just fired off a few frames around the house and the files are stunning. I'm shooting a D810, btw. I have no experience with with the Otus 85 but Ming Thein, who I have respect for as a photographer and reviewer, noted that the Milvus 85 "reaches 95% of the Otus' performance". And...this lens is weather sealed. The Otus is not. I can't wait to play around with this thing. I may have to go to the gym first though. It weighs a ton.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/09/12/a-visit-to-zeiss-and-thoughts-on-the-milvus-line/

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looking forward to read about your experiences with this lens. I've singled it out as my next 85mm.

It weighs a ton.
No, no, no, you got it wrong. It weighs a kilogram :lecture: A ton is a thousand kilograms, unless this is also bigger in America :ROTFL:

trioderob

Looking forward to read about your experiences with this lens. I've singled it out as my next 85mm.

No, no, no, you got it wrong. It weighs a kilogram :lecture: A ton is a thousand kilograms, unless this is also bigger in America :ROTFL:
any images yet ?????????????????????

JohnBrew

Not from me. I decided I didn't want to deal with that much weight hanging off the lens mount and one heavy Otus is enough for me. Also, another heavy Zeiss lens would make my backpack just too much to deal with. I sure hope Nikon comes out with a FF mirrorless in F or F-mount adaptable soon. I'm finding the 70-200 f4 is working just fine covering the 85 and similar focal length.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
After reading the reviews ... Ming's comments that the QC on the Otus is each lens not one in a hundred
got my attention.

Here is a picture from the 85 ... hanging off a Leica Monochrom.

Leica Monochrom Type 246 Zeiss Otus 85 1.4 ZF.2

Occasionally it is worth the effort to schlep some weight.

Regards,

Bob

dwood

My recent outing with the Milvus 85 was disappointing, but it wasn't because of the lens. Files were accidentally deleted...don't ask. :(

I was able to retrieve one image from when I first started messing with this thing. No great work of art but it demonstrates some of the merits of this lens: great micro contrast, sharp across the frame, wonderful Zeiss rendering, outstanding color etc. This lens paired with the sensor of the D810 is, to me, very impressive.

It's big and heavy, for sure, but that's just the way it is. My use for the lens would be in the great outdoors, so the weather sealing is a nice feature.

I will be saving my pennies for one of my very own.

trioderob

more images please - a few color portraits if you can and a landscape shot with camera mounted on tripod using "mirror lockup"

lets really see what this lens can do !

Lars

Americans call it a metric tonne. The names ton and tonne seem to be used in parallel. Ton is not an SI unit - proper SI unit is megagram. There is a US ton or short ton (about 907 kilograms) and an Imperial ton or long ton (about 1016 kilograms).

So in summary, tons are actually smaller in America.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Americans call it a metric tonne. The names ton and tonne seem to be used in parallel. Ton is not an SI unit - proper SI unit is megagram. There is a US ton or short ton (about 907 kilograms) and an Imperial ton or long ton (about 1016 kilograms).

So in summary, tons are actually smaller in America.
"It weighs a megagram"... hmmm... doesn't sound very impressive, does it? :ROTFL:

Last edited:

archivue

let see what Sigma's people have to offer... 85mm f/1.4 Art is to be announced in 2015, and released in 2016 (just a rumor )...