The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm 1.8G users - advice?

JCT

Maybe stick with your Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 D ?
It has a wonderful rendering.
Just an idea.
Well, I haven't sold it yet (bad habit of holding on to things I don't use). In my hands, I have never been happy with it as more of a multi-purpose mid-tele. Portraits yes, everything else not so much.

So I went ahead and picked up an 85 f1.8G - didn't get much shooting time with it as my NY trip was 90% business :mad: . Balances beautifully on the Df and so far happy with the rendering in my first few shots. Like the weight, too ;)
. And I did fondle the 85mm F1.4G, but didn't succumb..

Time will tell, but it was fun to use an AF lens on the Df, have been 80% manual lenses since I bought it!

JT

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You are kidding me ... right?

Any 85 will be great ... do not think that there are or were many dogs at this focal length.

My favorite is the Nikon PC-E 85 F 2.8 but the 85 F 1.8G is phenomenal.

Here is an example...

Nikon D810 85 1.8G

An inexpensive very expressive lens ... sure I like my Otus 85 1.4 better but no AF and perhaps a bit too clinical

Hard to fault the Nikon 85 F 1.8G

JMHO

Bob

Swissblad

Well I got the 85mm f1.8G on sale..... and for portraits ..... it is a sweet little lens.

Have a fun WE guys.

:cool: