The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The D5 monster i coming

V

Vivek

My hope is for radio trigger technology for speedlights, just like Canon now has. If I were in the market for a new top-end DSLR today (and I am not) I would still go for the D1X on the basis of the E-TTL radio trigger system, as opposed to Nikon's line-of-sight system.
Check out the offerings from Phottix and Nissin.

Lars

Just announced, and a D500! About time.

ISO Hi5 - 3.2M... nighttime pinhole, anyone? :ROTFL:

Lars

Yep I'd say today was one of Nikon's more significant days. Good vibes from this duo of bodies.
Now, does the DX range need more primes, or does the FX range need more kit zooms?

fotografz

Have to admit is looks good!

:thumbs:
More than good! Best!

Now by God, here is a real camera. No namby-pamby "Jack of all trades, master of none", limp-wristed, slow witted, Lilliputian buttoned toy, desperately masquerading as a Pro camera:LOL:

This is a head slamming 0 to 60 in 2 seconds, Falcon eyed, see in the dark Black Panther, nail pounding, 8000 shot Gatling Gun, Tattooed bulging biceps, Wife beater t-shirt, Luca Brasi worthy camera:thumbs:

Honestly, if I were still shooting pro as much as I used to, I'd be on this in a NY heart beat. Heck, I may rent one just so I can have that total feeling of confidence one more time.

Nice to see new cameras that clearly define what they are … Phase One reinstating MF as the resolution king, and Nikon with this wonderfully solid chunk of dedicated acceleration and exhilaration.

- Marc

D&A

Marc Wrote ----->>>>> "Now by God, here is a real camera. No namby-pamby "Jack of all trades, master of none", limp-wristed, slow witted, Lilliputian buttoned toy, desperately masquerading as a Pro camera"<<<<<

Marc no need for beat around the bush, with thinly disguised references and innuendos to which camera you are comparing the King of the Hill D5 to. We all can read between the lines and decipher you coded message to the legions of thump chest beating Nikon photographers who know when it comes to tracking a nats flight around picnic eating tourists in the dead of night and capturing frame after frame of its fluttering wings in pitch dark, that the former possy Pro Camera of which you speak of, no longer needs to be considered, other than a toy of those who's pockets are lined with gold.

So go ahead, be forthright and be bold and call a Lomo by name for what it is. At least replacements are readily available, theres more than two varients than just a choice of CF or QXD slots and and you can't even get a D5 except in Black. :)

Except for that I fully agree with all you wrote and that the D5 should indeed and hopefully be exactly what it purports to be... a further evolution of the Nikon D series of cameras that simply get its intended job done like few others.

Nicely put Marc!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

What good is that with an OVF?
Thats sort of what I've been wondering. As much as I am a big fan and proponent of OVF's, I would have hoped that Nikon would have been bold and offered an optional (removeable) viewfinder, one of which would have been a EVF. I believe it would have been a tremendous hit and yet being optional, wouldn't force anyone to accept one kind of viewfinder over another. As for it being weather resistant, I'm sure ppropriate seals could have been developed.

It would also have opened the door to other specialzed viewfinders available as optional accesories but having at least a OVF and EVF would have not only been inventive for this class of camera but would have distinguished the D5 from any smaller body varient such as a D700 successor.

Dave (D&A)

Swissblad

Thats sort of what I've been wondering. As much as I am a big fan and proponent of OVF's, I would have hoped that Nikon would have been bold and offered an optional (removeable) viewfinder, one of which would have been a EVF. I believe it would have been a tremendous hit and yet being optional, wouldn't force anyone to accept one kind of viewfinder over another. As for it being weather resistant, I'm sure ppropriate seals could have been developed.

It would also have opened the door to other specialzed viewfinders available as optional accesories but having at least a OVF and EVF would have not only been inventive for this class of camera but would have distinguished the D5 from any smaller body varient such as a D700 successor.

Dave (D&A)
I wonder if this is really a viable option - granted the minimal tolerances digital sensors permit - which frequently require micro-adjustment on a fixed OVF.

Any engineers out there who can answer this query?

Hulyss Bowman

No need to be engineer. EVF aren't suited for DSLR. An EVF on a DSLR would work only on mirror up mode. DSLR allredy have an EVF : Live view. So live view + OVF = the best of two worlds. Same goes for SIGMA. They can craft an EVF but instead they made a loupe for the LCD : Clever and economic.

For sport OVF/DSLR is better (I'm used to both, was early adopter of XT-1). For me, EVF is for niche market aka sony/fuji/leica/pany ... all the crowd who do not provide pro level cameras as Nikon or Canon, and will never make the grade for very long shoot/pros : It will kill your eyes and brain.

I invite Dave and Vivec to unstuck their eyes out of EVF and go trying the D5 or even the D500 OVF ...

V

Vivek

It is Vivek (k). Would have been easier with an evf. ovf - been there done that in every possible iteration and donderdag not want them.

What is the lowest light level that the D5 will AF- anyone knows?

When folks showed the amazing low light capabilities of D3, it was truly inspirartional. Now, with the A7s and the RX1R ii, being able to see in the darkness and auto focus- that is really pratical and useful. It may be an "amateurish toy" ( very portable too!) but it gets the job done. :)

D&A

>>>I invite Dave and Vivec to unstuck their eyes out of EVF and go trying the D5 or even the D500 OVF ...<<<<

No need to express things this way especially since you seemingly haven't read my previous post or you would have seen that I have been a proponent of OVF and except for one minor camera, all those I use are OVF cameras. In addition I have actively used every pro series D cameras in a professional capacity since the very 1st day the original D1 was released, so I think I am aware of OVF's and their capabilities, especially those on all the Nikon D series Pro bodies.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

It is doubtful that any here would buy a D5. It is a niche product by itself. Nice, pricey, feature packed and all that but a niche product nevertheless.