The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The D5 monster i coming

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know why I'm posting this. I couldn't even make up my mind about a second hand D4s. Still, progress is always interesting, and although not many are interested in these dinosaurs anymore, I am, and I won't exclude any options.

The D5 seems to have a detachable viewfinder back, which is interesting. 20MP as expected. Will it offer ISO 16 as well? One can always hope. Not that it will make much difference if I'm not going to buy this brick of a camera anyway, but....

The upcoming Nikon D5 DSLR camera will have a 20 MP sensor (plus more leaked D5 pictures) | Nikon Rumors

Swissblad

I really wonder how much the AF will be improved...... in either case we will see a deluge of cheap D4s's on the market early next year.

I'm not convinced by the interchangeable VF's..... too difficult to really discern on those grainy pix.

Interesting times.

:cool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The AF should be very much improved, between 153 to 179 AF points depending on the rumors and it will have more than 40 cross type AF points as well. In combination with Expeed 5 this should also guarantee pretty good responsiveness and tracking possibilities.

I do also hope that this extends the area of the current AF significantly and also makes for finer AF points.

And finally, as I will most probably not buy a D5, I hope that this AF system also condenses "down" to other high end models, such as the rumored D850 :cool:

There is already a "I am coming soon" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnEsBK8YIe4

Enjoy!

Swissblad

Thanks for the post, Peter - looks great.

I have to admit no Nikon camera add knocked my socks off like the original D4 one.... I would have bought the camera just on the basis of that add - if I had the $......;)

Hulyss Bowman

I'm not convinced by the interchangeable VF's..... too difficult to really discern on those grainy pix.

Interesting times.
This is not an interchangeable VF. It is a better VF + some good surprises for video shooters. Can't say any-more before January :cool:

PS: The video "I AM COMING SOON" is a click bait. This is a D4s represented. The real D5 teaser is coming soon.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The professional camera bodies by Nikon and Canon are always terrific for their intended use. You can expect the new D5 to be better across all areas against the D4S (which is at least tied for best in class today ). One thing you can count on is that Nikon has had plenty of input from working professionals and have field tested the new D5 .

Having used each Nikon D since the D3 (D3,D3s,D4,D4s) ...I could see a continuous improvement in both image quality and functionality . So where will it be better and why should you care ?

1. The AF will be better on the edges ..on the D4s the center AF point is faster and more accurate than a focus point placed on the edge . On the D5 you will have the ability to place the focus point nearer the edge and have it function like a center point . This is a big deal if you prefer to select a focus point rather than focus and recompose . (Its faster and more accurate ).

2. The AF will be able to hold and track a focus point more consistently . On a D4S you might get half of a burst critically focused (thats normally plenty unless you need the exact critical point in a series ).

3. It will achieve 15FPS ....if you shoot sports ...you need as much as you can get . Using a tennis example ...at 5FPS starting to capture a serve ....you might as well shoot as single capture ....only one capture will be near the peak and you still have to time it . At 11FPS you can shoot a burst starting with the toss and get maybe 2-3 alternatives to pick from. At 15FPS .....timing will not be an issue in tennis .

There should be the expected improvements in image quality ...better high ISO performance and straight out of camera excellence .

I also expect many improvements that speed the process of getting the images out to editors .

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is not an interchangeable VF. It is a better VF + some good surprises for video shooters. Can't say any-more before January :cool:

PS: The video "I AM COMING SOON" is a click bait. This is a D4s represented. The real D5 teaser is coming soon.
After letting a good bargain on a D4s slip away a couple of weeks ago, I'm seriously considering this camera. If there's some kind of EVF option for video, I'm practically in. I have no idea where to get the $7,000 that this will probably cost me, but the direction my photography is taking suggests that this and the D810 would be a great combination. I like to get my shots whatever the conditions are, and I don't like hardware limitations. The D5 will remove some of the limitations that I live with today.

I'll have to continue my frequent visits to the gym though, if I'm going to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOl0fG72ZE

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After letting a good bargain on a D4s slip away a couple of weeks ago, I'm seriously considering this camera. If there's some kind of EVF option for video, I'm practically in. I have no idea where to get the $7,000 that this will probably cost me, but the direction my photography is taking suggests that this and the D810 would be a great combination. I like to get my shots whatever the conditions are, and I don't like hardware limitations. The D5 will remove some of the limitations that I live with today.

I'll have to continue my frequent visits to the gym though, if I'm going to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOl0fG72ZE
I am fully with you! I also do not know how to fund the probably €5500.- for this camera, but I am seriously considering this, if especially the EVF is resolved. There is great hope!

I even think of selling my Olympus m43 gear - which I really love - but if the D5 works out properly this will very likely be the path for me to go. Wildlife with that body should just be a breeze :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am personally a bit surprised at only 20MP. I don't expect 36, but could get more excited at 24 or 30...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am personally a bit surprised at only 20MP. I don't expect 36, but could get more excited at 24 or 30...
This was to be expected and already long time known ....

Nikon always is very conservative WRT MP count in their top end pro cameras - D3 with 12MP, D4 with 16MP and now D5 with 20MP .... maybe D6 will be 24MP ???? And their product cycles are so far around 4 years, with an S model following after 2 years with some improvements, but basically the same sensor.

But I would have also loved a 24MP - 30MP version to be honest :) So you need to wait till 2020?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
12 to 16 is a 33% increase. 16 to 20 is a 25% increase. At this rate, the 24MP D6 will be an antique long before it's released. Heck, to my thinking, this 20MP D5 is essentially an antique in the current 35 DLSR world. And yes I know that pixel count isn't everything, but still...

Hulyss Bowman

20 MP is just find. I do not care about the D5 but I'm excited about an eventual Df2 who might be what the Df should have been in the first place ...

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
12 to 16 is a 33% increase. 16 to 20 is a 25% increase. At this rate, the 24MP D6 will be an antique long before it's released. Heck, to my thinking, this 20MP D5 is essentially an antique in the current 35 DLSR world. And yes I know that pixel count isn't everything, but still...
That was sort of my line of thinking when I switched to Canon (having been a Nikon shooter since I was 13), since I mainly shoot the DSLR for sports, and the 1Dx surpassed the D4s with pixel count, and AF tracking was superior as well. Not to mention it was easier to rent the larger telephotos for Canon no matter where I happened to be, as the Nikon ones were a bit harder to find.

Now the D5 seems to close the gap, but then again, Canon is coming out with the 1Dx mark II which is 24MP and they are supposedly going to improve on the DR. If they improve on the focus tracking, Nikon wont really have anything to entice the photojournalists using Canon to switch.

All a big chess game, just keep that one small move ahead of the competition.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can think of three good reasons for this:

- Processing and buffer capacity. More megapixels means slower processing and a buffer that fills up faster but empties slower.
- Video quality. With video, there is no downsampling to reduce noise. One pixel is one pixel, and the larger they are the better.
- Sports photography and storage space. Although storage is getting cheaper by the minute, thousands of large files every weekend take up a scary amount of space. Memory cards are soon moving into the terrabyte territory, which is fine, but hard disks seem to be developing slower now. Double or triple backups cost a lot of money and take up space.

12MP wouldn't stop me from buying this camera, 30 would.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
.... and is this what you call a blessing in disguise? Getting the opportunity to spend $3,000 more than what was already way over budget? Some friends I have on this forum :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Personally I would have preferred 24MP. IMHO this the sweetspot for FF sensors and will stay so for very long time. It is the ideal size for enough leeway to crop, obviously the optimum for DR and high ISO (which only could improve over time) and speed/filesize.

But 20MP is a bit on the low end of the scale for 2016 when this beast will be released. And Canon will have the edge here with their upcoming D1X with 24MP, if they manage to further improve AF so it van compete with AF of the D5. But it is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

20 MP is just find. I do not care about the D5 but I'm excited about an eventual Df2 who might be what the Df should have been in the first place ...
From what my whisperers tell me, there will be no other Df.

baudolino

My hope is for radio trigger technology for speedlights, just like Canon now has. If I were in the market for a new top-end DSLR today (and I am not) I would still go for the D1X on the basis of the E-TTL radio trigger system, as opposed to Nikon's line-of-sight system.