The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D500 announced

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Pedant Alert !

(...) Ummm... not to be nitpicking, but the longest thread on FM must be "Mustang Air to Air, The Sequel", started by Jim Wilson, 94,100 posts and counting (...)

(...) nikt from Australia who in 2005 started the longest going thread ever on the Nikon board of the FM forum (...)

Pedant Alert:

Yeah well, but Nik started "Your Best Nikon shots" back in 2005. Still running.

The "Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel" is not ten years old yet (and not quite a Nikon board thread), but you are right it has an absolutely impressive amount of posts :lecture:

Anyway, sorry for the digression about the old days on another forum :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Correction

Correction:
Apparently I was wrong about the start date of the above mentioned "Best Nikon shots" thread, the thread was from June 2007.
I.e. only half a year older than the "Mustang Air to Air" thread from December 2007, that Jorgen mentioned in his above post.
Thank you for the correction, Nik :thumbup:
And sorry for the confusion, Jorgen and all :eek:
Roger, Over and Back on Topic :lecture:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Correction

Correction:
Apparently I was wrong about the start date of the above mentioned "Best Nikon shots" thread, the thread was from June 2007.
I.e. only half a year older than the "Mustang Air to Air" thread from December 2007, that Jorgen mentioned in his above post.
Thank you for the correction, Nik :thumbup:
And sorry for the confusion, Jorgen and all :eek:
Roger, Over and Back on Topic :lecture:
In any case, both threads are well worth looking at, but that goes for the fantastic image threads on this forum as well... particularly the image threads on this forum. That's one of the good reasons why this is my "home forum".

Hulyss Bowman

This D500 looks good, very good. It is too bad I'm portraitist and need large sensor areas so I'm frustrated. I really hope a D700 like camera later, it would please me a lot. Why not without 4K video but only simple HD ? Or a Df2 with 1/8000 and FF AF ?... :lecture:

Here is a little 4K video out of the D500 :

https://youtu.be/PSTpvNtYEJ0

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This D500 looks good, very good. It is too bad I'm portraitist and need large sensor areas so I'm frustrated. I really hope a D700 like camera later, it would please me a lot. Why not without 4K video but only simple HD ? Or a Df2 with 1/8000 and FF AF ?... :lecture:

Here is a little 4K video out of the D500 :

https://youtu.be/PSTpvNtYEJ0
The D500 must be a dream camera, especially for wildlife and sports.

My main problem is that there are currently lot of great choices popping up to cover this, like the new Fuji XPro2 and 100-400 (150-600 equivalent) as well as the new PanaLeica 100-400 (200 - 800 equivalent).

But maybe just staying in my Nikon ecosystem would be the easiest and best choice ;)

Hulyss Bowman

My main problem is that there are currently lot of great choices popping up to cover this, like the new Fuji XPro2 and 100-400 (150-600 equivalent) as well as the new PanaLeica 100-400 (200 - 800 equivalent).

But maybe just staying in my Nikon ecosystem would be the easiest and best choice ;)
I was about to speak about the X-"pro"2 but stopped because AF will not even come close. I had the XT-1 and, while it is good, it is one parsec away from my D700 AF. So yes, price wise, the Xpro2 is good. But performance wise the Nikon just kill it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

To me, the D500 looks a bit like a Swiss Army Knife where each tool works almost as well as a full size, professional version :)

If I can't get it within three weeks, I don't really need it this side of the summer. Still, I have a feeling that it will be hard to resist.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was about to speak about the X-"pro"2 but stopped because AF will not even come close. I had the XT-1 and, while it is good, it is one parsec away from my D700 AF. So yes, price wise, the Xpro2 is good. But performance wise the Nikon just kill it.
I had the XPro1 and AF was so bad, that I sold it. Same for the XT1, where AF was better, but still ....

The XPro2 should have much improved AF though - 77 PDAF points and wide spread, work down to -3EV - that should say something. I need to try one, but have high hopes it would be pretty close to D500. If not it rules itself out in a second - at least for me.

I also need to see the D500 OVF before final decision, as this should have 1.0 magnification, the largest for any APSC camera. Maybe this one is also hard to top, even by an excellent EVF as in the XT1. And the XPro2 EVF is rumored to have less magnification, actually as the old XPro1, which per se would not rule the XPro2 out for me.

But anyway I need and will test this personally before making any decision.

The D500, while not as small as the XPro2 is still pretty compact and if AF and OVF are just so much better, my decision would be easy and clear.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
To me, the D500 looks a bit like a Swiss Army Knife where each tool works almost as well as a full size, professional version :)

If I can't get it within three weeks, I don't really need it this side of the summer. Still, I have a feeling that it will be hard to resist.
Why do you need it within 3 weeks? This camera will be the flagship APSC for the next 5-6 years when Nikon repeats the update cycle of the D300s ;)

Anyway I am very tempted by the D500, and it would be the far more logical solution/decision for me, given that I have opted back into Nikon land again and could finally concentrate on slowly but constantly building up this ecosystem for just my own needs. And there the D500 would play a significant role!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why do you need it within 3 weeks? This camera will be the flagship APSC for the next 5-6 years when Nikon repeats the update cycle of the D300s ;)

Anyway I am very tempted by the D500, and it would be the far more logical solution/decision for me, given that I have opted back into Nikon land again and could finally concentrate on slowly but constantly building up this ecosystem for just my own needs. And there the D500 would play a significant role!
Because I'm going to a major airshow in three weeks, and my next action/sports photography that will bring any serious income is probably more than 6 months away. I do have other bodies that can handle minor sports events.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Because I'm going to a major airshow in three weeks, and my next action/sports photography that will bring any serious income is probably more than 6 months away. I do have other bodies that can handle minor sports events.
Just as an idea, I would try to get a demo D500 either from your closest Nikon rep (Nikon Thailand???) or maybe the major store you are always buying. So even if the camera is not regularly shipping, try to push for that, Nikon should be happy and proud to support a real photographer for a real typical shooting situation of the D500!

And we could benefit here from your experiences ( as well as Nikon could of course)!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just as an idea, I would try to get a demo D500 either from your closest Nikon rep (Nikon Thailand???) or maybe the major store you are always buying. So even if the camera is not regularly shipping, try to push for that, Nikon should be happy and proud to support a real photographer for a real typical shooting situation of the D500!

And we could benefit here from your experiences ( as well as Nikon could of course)!
It's worth an attempt, particularly since I'm going downtown to buy the 200-500mm before I leave for the show anyway. Thank you for reminding me :)

Lars

Jorgen, as an alternative how about running the D810 in crop mode for the show, would that work? It seems to have decent frame rate in DX.

BTW just saw this quoute on Nikon Rumors - obviously from Nikon UK:

"Although aimed at ‘advanced enthusiasts and professional photographers’, amateurs may have to wait to get hold of the 20.9-million-pixel camera when 
it goes on sale in March, priced £1,729.99 (body only). ‘Due to the anticipated high demand for this new flagship DX DSLR, we will be prioritising pre-orders placed by Nikon Professional Services members and Nikon Professional Users,’ said Simon Iddon, head of product management at Nikon UK."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, as an alternative how about running the D810 in crop mode for the show, would that work? It seems to have decent frame rate in DX.

BTW just saw this quoute on Nikon Rumors - obviously from Nikon UK:

"Although aimed at ‘advanced enthusiasts and professional photographers’, amateurs may have to wait to get hold of the 20.9-million-pixel camera when 
it goes on sale in March, priced £1,729.99 (body only). ‘Due to the anticipated high demand for this new flagship DX DSLR, we will be prioritising pre-orders placed by Nikon Professional Services members and Nikon Professional Users,’ said Simon Iddon, head of product management at Nikon UK."
The D810 in crop mode is an alternative I'm considering, and I have even been thinking about getting a second D810 instead of a D500.

The advantages of the crop mode are several, the most important being faster frame rate (6fps) and at least twice as much buffer space. Being able to see what is going on outside the frame can be an advantage too. Buffer space is actually the most important, since show sequences at airshows tend to last 10-20 seconds. Running out of space is a frequent problem with older cameras.

The disadvantage is mainly that the "effective" viewfinder becomes rather small.

What I will do in any case is to buy the fastest cards possible, but here's another dilemma: The relatively expensive fast CF cards for the D810 aren't usable with a future D500. That's another argument for a second D810 of course :)

The most important argument for a second D810 though, is that it's the best all round camera. It offers the highest resolution, probably still the best low ISO while at the same time being able to double as an action camera in crop mode. And it's identical with the one I already have. I worry about the new position of the ISO button.

Finally, I could just stay with my current setup, using the D810 and D300 with the D700 or D2Xs (probably the latter because of reach) as backup. But yes, the option of a second D810 does tickle my mind. Maybe I should look for a second hand one :)

Last edited: