The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D500 announced

Lars

Impressive specs - this is pro level. 20.9 Mpx, 10 fps, insane buffer, weather sealing, no popup flash, ISO 51,200 extend to ISO 1.6M. On paper this seems like the camera I always wanted to abuse. Looking forward to previews/reviews.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know I am an oddball thinker on this, but Dx format has never intrigued me. If I'm going to go smaller, then why not M4/3 instead?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know I am an oddball thinker on this, but Dx format has never intrigued me. If I'm going to go smaller, then why not M4/3 instead?
Because a DSLR with an optical viewfinder is much better for sports photography and because this one is compatible with my other Nikon cameras. I am very tempted, and I haven't even read the specs yet :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Saw the video. I'm sold! That's much more than anybody was hoping for. Looks like a totally amazing camera. Fantastic, Nikon!

And the D5 is off my shopping list. This and the D810 will be the perfect pair :thumbs:

V

Vivek

If the new NEX (Sony A6100) does not offer lossless RAW, I will get one of these. Impressive specs! :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
optical viewfinder
F mount
1,5 crop factor
pixel density
perceived reach with affordable Nikon F mount tele lenses

I'd love to own one
unfortunately the prices are often much higher in my part of the world than in the US
we'll see

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They have also copied the viewfinder design from the larger cameras, which is great, the AF coverage is much better than before, at least left to right, and the buffer takes 79 uncompressed and 200 lossless compressed 14 bit RAW files!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, this is interesting:
The body is actually slightly wider than the D810 (D500 left, D810 right in this image). Will they make an FX version, the same way as they did with the D300/D700?

Compared to the D810 (and most previous Nikon bodies), they have switched the ISO and Mode buttons. If I'm going to use these two cameras side-by-side, there will be some swearing every time I hit the wrong button, which I will. Frequently. :cussing:

xdayv

Compared to the D810 (and most previous Nikon bodies), they have switched the ISO and Mode buttons. If I'm going to use these two cameras side-by-side, there will be some swearing every time I hit the wrong button, which I will. Frequently. :cussing:
This.

And I'm also considering the D500 added to D800E in my bag, seems like a perfect duo, except the swearing part. :grin:

add: xqd + sd on the D500...

Lars

This.

And I'm also considering the D500 added to D800E in my bag, seems like a perfect duo, except the swearing part. :grin:

add: xqd + sd on the D500...
It can't be harder than driving different cars - you adapt quickly.

I wanted something like that for Wildlife (the 7200 works so so for me). But I am a little underwhelmed about the 21MP which gives it a only slight advantage over the D810 in DX mode.

Maybe I wait for the D810 successor with higher MP count and better AF System … in DX mode, the cropping potential, buffer and frame rate should be sufficient for me and I have not to carry around 2 bodies, as I use FX quite a lot.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wanted something like that for Wildlife (the 7200 works so so for me). But I am a little underwhelmed about the 21MP which gives it a only slight advantage over the D810 in DX mode.

Maybe I wait for the D810 successor with higher MP count and better AF System … in DX mode, the cropping potential, buffer and frame rate should be sufficient for me and I have not to carry around 2 bodies, as I use FX quite a lot.
If you don't want to carry 2 bodies, keep the D810. The D810 replacement will probably have the same AF system as this one though.

- - - Updated - - -

It can't be harder than driving different cars - you adapt quickly.
I don't know what quickly means to you, but I got a new car over a month ago, and I'm still struggling to adapt. Imagine me then, when switching between cameras within seconds :ROTFL:

Yes, I still use a Nokia phone running Symbian :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I just don't see the point to this camera
It's for taking photos and video ;)

Edit:
Jokes aside, it's basically a D5 with a crop sensor for a third of the price. Due to the crop sensor, reach is increased by 1.5x. It's an ideal camera for sports/action/wildlife photographers on a budget and those who don't want to carry large, heavy, expensive telephoto lenses.

Lars

It's for taking photos and video ;)

Edit:
Jokes aside, it's basically a D5 with a crop sensor for a third of the price. Due to the crop sensor, reach is increased by 1.5x. It's an ideal camera for sports/action/wildlife photographers on a budget and those who don't want to carry large, heavy, expensive telephoto lenses.
I want to carry large, expensive telephoto lenses. I just don't want to pay for them.

- - - Updated - - -

They have also copied the viewfinder design from the larger cameras, which is great, the AF coverage is much better than before, at least left to right, and the buffer takes 79 uncompressed and 200 lossless compressed 14 bit RAW files!
Viewfinder is 100% 1.0x. Interesting.