The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon D5 ....XQD or CF

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The D4s has both but the new D5 will have EITHER two XQD slots or two CF slots . My guess would be that the XQD cards will be faster but they are more expensive and not easily found outside of the large retailers .

Which do you think will have the greatest appeal in the overall market?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
QXD clearly. While it's true that they are more difficult to find, CF cards can't be found anywhere either anymore. It is a nice thought being able to utilise one's old CF cards, but for those who don't have the latest, hottest ones, they'd probably have to buy new ones for this camera anyway. I'm struggling with that for my D810, and I would actually have preferred to be able to buy the latest technology rather then the newest version of the oldest technology.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree that XQD is the logical step, simply since it is newer/faster and especially harmonious with 4K video. As for appeal, even though I have a bunch of CF and SD cards, CF is getting long in the tooth. I'd just buy a couple new large cards to dedicate to the body and hope I rarely filled them up ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Agree that XQD is the logical step, simply since it is newer/faster and especially harmonious with 4K video. As for appeal, even though I have a bunch of CF and SD cards, CF is getting long in the tooth. I'd just buy a couple new large cards to dedicate to the body and hope I rarely filled them up ;)
I notice that the D500 comes with a XQD/SD combo, so time to enter that wonderful new world, I guess. I'll use SD cards for backup only from now on.

Lars

I notice that the D500 comes with a XQD/SD combo, so time to enter that wonderful new world, I guess. I'll use SD cards for backup only from now on.
Yep that says to me that in Nikon's view CF is old technology. I'd agree - unless you need XQD speed, fast SD cards are good enough.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yep that says to me that in Nikon's view CF is old technology. I'd agree - unless you need XQD speed, fast SD cards are good enough.
Speed is always an issue when shooting sports and action, plus this camera has 4K as well. In addition I've had reliability issues with SD cards, both with the D810 and with the GH3 I had before it.

xdayv

Is the CF card on its way out? What shall replace it? How about XQD, do we get to see more brands supporting it?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the feeling that CF is dead already since some years.

Will step into XQD as soon as I get the D500 (or maybe the D5???)

nikt

In actual facts, this is Nikons own question.... which model will sell they sell more of. My hope is that QXD takes off as we need to move forward. That will allow more cards, more manufacturers more resellers, and more of the other brands picking it up.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Another option of course :)

When will it arrive? :cool:
When? Who knows. My guess is "sooner rather than later" -- like this spring. And I'm a very likely "early adopter" when it is formally released ;)

nikt

XQD.

I wonder what the sell ratio will be 12 months on - or if it changes over the 12 months and shifts from one to the other.

Lars

Looks like the card holder is modular and fairly easy to swap out, although of course you'll have to ask Nikon to do that.

fotografz

I wonder about the technology used in the newer cards as it relates to data recovery?

The subcontracted recovery people for SanDisk told me that CF cards are easier than SDs because they can open them up if necessary and get at the data directly, which improves the chances by a fair margin.

- Marc