The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3/D300 illustrated

David K

Workshop Member
Roger,
Now that I have my glasses on these shots look even better than they did this morning :) I've never even seen a waterspout in the ten years I'm in Florida, no less have my camera with me at the time. You need to buy a Lotto ticket :)

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy,

You do need to dump the 5D and go for the D3.

I originally bought the D300 but after playing with a D3 for a full day in Vegas during PMA, I got a D3 the next week.

The D3 is really good in IQ, auto-focus, metering, flash system use, speed, ergonomics, menu use, and the "unbelievable" high ISO performance. Their new zoom the 24-70/2.8 is also VERY GOOD.

Best,

Ray

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I think the most exciting thing about Nikon right now is actually the fast development in the glass situation.
First the ZF lenses popped up as a surprising and refreshing addition.
Then came the fabulous two new Nano Crystal Coat "ultra wide-angle" plus "standard" Nikkor zooms together with the three new super telephoto lenses.
Plus the new Voigtländer Ultron 2/40mm pancake along with the Nokton 1.4/58mm.
And now the announcement of three new 24mm, 45mm and 85mm Tilt / Shift Nikkor lenses.
What I would like to see next is new AF-S versions of some fast primes like 85, 50 and 28mm.
Finally I hope for a new faster focusing AF-S 4/300VR, and we are ready to go.
I can easily understand you, Guy.
On the other hand, if you don't need it right now maybe it would be an idea to wait and see what's happening next, I suspect there is even more under development at this moment.
A >20 Mp flagship D3whatever model, maybe with the coming ~24Mp Exmor sensor from Sony ?
And who knows, maybe we will even see a prosumer ~12Mp D300Xish 24x36mm FX sensor model, depending on Canons next move with a 5DII ??
Oh, and by that time the Leica R10 would probably also be here. May you live in interesting times :)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
One of my first shots with the D300 and the 24-70 zoom. Just trying to work my way through Capture NX.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Kurt interested in your thoughts on the D300 compared to the old 5d from the past. File structure and workable, you know what i am after. BTW looks a tad warm

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
That one was a bit messy in NX. This looks better. The 24-70 is razor sharp. So far two thumbs up, Guy ... I'll give you a more detailed review in a little while after I grab a few more shots.

Guy Mancuso

Sounds great , i will get this job done in Tucson than make the switch . I really want to try the Nikons now

woodyspedden

One of my first shots with the D300 and the 24-70 zoom. Just trying to work my way through Capture NX.
Hey Kurt

In spite of the mostly great results the Capture NX is not for the faint of heart! Very slow and not at all intuitive. But once mastered the results can be very impressive indeed.

Woody

PS I have been in Florida for the past six weeks in spectacular weather and have been following the Wisconsin saga. WOW! I spent many winters in Sun Prairie (near Madison) and this winter puts those to shame near as I can tell. Are all you Wisconsoners ready for a break?

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Woody you know i appreciate that. I think i am just going to do it anyway. Been very interested in some of the D300 features and i like the idea of some of there new glass. The 14-24 and 24-70 sound really nice but the 24mm shift and 85 shift plus a 180 2.8 is what i may go for. product , long tele and wide shift when I need it. Just need to sell my 5d, 200 2.8 and 100 macro and if I can sell my Oly 24 shift that would be awesome. This will get me through to either a R10 or a D3X when they hit the streets. the M8's are the main go too but i do need a DSLR sometimes.