The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Irix 15mm

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If this lens offers good image quality and has a price that I'll be able to pay, I'll be pretty happy that I have not come around to buying an ultra WA lens yet. This looks very promising.

Irix

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Saw this yesterday and had the same feeling - if price is ok (say somehow lower than the Zeiss) - I would buy it as well!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The prices seem to be EUR 549 for the Firefly version and EUR 699 for the Blackstone. I'm trying to get one (Blackstone in F-mount) as soon as possible. Initial reports say that build quality is outstanding, which is important to me, and photo samples look great so far. No reason to wait for reviews then :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The prices seem to be EUR 549 for the Firefly version and EUR 699 for the Blackstone. I'm trying to get one (Blackstone in F-mount) as soon as possible. Initial reports say that build quality is outstanding, which is important to me, and photo samples look great so far. No reason to wait for reviews then :D
I do agree! Prices are looking really cool.

Not sure which one to get now :D I tend more towards the Blackstone ....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I do agree! Prices are looking really cool.

Not sure which one to get now :D I tend more towards the Blackstone ....
The weight difference isn't more than some 80 grams, but build quality is important to me. I don't abuse my gear, but I do use it. My pusher is attempting to become representative for Thailand, so I do what I can to get this quickly.

Until now, I have been eyeing the Zeiss, not only because of the image quality, but again the build quality, which is also why I've stayed away from the Samyang. This one seems to represent a great compromise.

Swissblad

Hi Jorgen,
I can see you will regret selling your D810.
This lens indeed Looks interesting :thumbup:
Greetings from Vardö in Varanger peninsula.
S :cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,
I can see you will regret selling your D810.
This lens indeed Looks interesting :thumbup:
Greetings from Vardö in Varanger peninsula.
S :cool:
He he... no, I will not regret. There's always the possibility to buy another one at a lower price when the D820 has been launched, or simply buying a D820... if I have any money to buy it for. I've just put the sale of the 24-120mm on hold. My second mirrorless attempt isn't going spectacularly well, and it's increasingly clear to me why Nikon isn't venturing into that area.

I envy your stay in Vardø. That's much further north than I have ever been in Norway.

jlancasterd

My Irix Firefly, ordered from Amazon UK, has arrived. First impression is that it is very well made and light enough to carry 'on spec' when on vacation, for those interior shots where the Nikkor 24-120 isn't wide enough.

So far I've only taken 2 or 3 shots in my living room using F8 and hyperfocal focussing. The files from a D5 seem sharp enough when processed in Lightroom, and distortion is well controlled – especially when the profile for the Nikon-mount Zeiss 15mm is applied.

jlancasterd

A couple of shots taken around Boston Lodge Works today with the IRIX 15mm, using F16 and the hyperfocal markings on the lens. Developed in Lightroom using the Zeiss Distagon 15mm ZF.2 profile and tweaked in Photoshop. Surprisingly, for a lens of this type, it seems to slightly overexpose, even when there is plenty of sky in the shot. Handles very nicely – much easier to use than the Samyang 14mm. I think this is a keeper.

The Permanent Way Department's diesel getting some much needed TLC in the paint shop.
Moel Hebog Carriage Works 20-9.jpg

Site of the new Heritage Carriages Storage Shed.
Glan y Mor 20-9.jpg

Last edited:
M

mjr

I've had it a while now, using it on the D810 and D500, I'm really liking it, very good for aurora work wide open too. Anything specific you want to know then ask away!

Mat

Swissblad

Thanks Matt - I'm mainly concerted with sharpness and vignetting on FX bodies.

From what you say, it seems to be quite good.

Now all I need to do is find a local dealer....

Cheers, S ;)

jlancasterd

Irix has just issued Lightroom profles for the Irix 15mm and 11mm lenses, with instructions for installation on both MAC and Windows machines.

See Nikon Rumours for details.

viablex1

I've had it a while now, using it on the D810 and D500, I'm really liking it, very good for aurora work wide open too. Anything specific you want to know then ask away!

Mat
would love to see some examples of aurora and also what settings you are using, I am planning on hitting Iceland in september

Thanks

Matto

viablex1

well I got one for my Nikon man it was an absolutely horrible copy, decentering and weird sharpness here and there could not get a useable image from f5.6 all the way up to f16 on my Df going to roll the dice again and send it back for an exchange.

mf

M

mjr

would love to see some examples of aurora and also what settings you are using, I am planning on hitting Iceland in september

Thanks

Matto
Hi Matto

Sorry I didn't see your request before now, I'm only on my laptop so don't have many shots available, this is from the 15mm Irix on the D810, f2.4, ISO3200 at 5 seconds..

Sorry to hear you got a bad copy, I have sold all my Nikon stuff now but my Irix was excellent.

Enjoy Iceland, I run workshops there twice a year and my brother has a house in Akureyri so we travel there a lot, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

Mat

viablex1

Hey thanks, I just got my second copy and it is decentered and bad to the left. Beautiful work though!!!