The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The last year or so, I've used the 24-120mm f/4 as a walk-around lens, and while it's mostly sharp enough, CA is terrible to a degree that is difficult to live with. Sometimes, I haven't been able to remove it in ACR without performing all kinds of tricks not to de-saturate colours that are supposed to remain in the photo. While I expect the problem to be easier to live with on the D700, I'm looking for other options.

One is the "old" 28-70mm f/2.8. This is a lens that seems to have few weaknesses and with CA under control. There are many of them in good condition for sale at $6-700, so the investment is modest. Any experiences?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd look for a better copy of the 24-120. While mine does have some CA, it's so minor I virtually never bother to correct it. For the rare occasion I need to, C1 takes care of it easily with its CA tool.

Going from memory, the 28-70 was no great shakes -- slowish AF and marginal optical performance until f5.6. The 24-70 is a better lens, arguably sharper than the 24-120, but is of course heavier and does have some distortion. If looking for a viable street zoom, I'd rather have the kit 24-85 G over either of the 2.8 lenses -- it's small and light, and a stellar performer for the money, though does distort about as much as the 24-120. Finally for the work you do, take a look at the 28-300G -- outstanding optical performance in a lens just slightly larger than the 24-120 and a bit less expensive to boot.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'd look for a better copy of the 24-120. While mine does have some CA, it's so minor I virtually never bother to correct it. For the rare occasion I need to, C1 takes care of it easily with its CA tool.

Going from memory, the 28-70 was no great shakes -- slowish AF and marginal optical performance until f5.6. The 24-70 is a better lens, arguably sharper than the 24-120, but is of course heavier and does have some distortion. If looking for a viable street zoom, I'd rather have the kit 24-85 G over either of the 2.8 lenses -- it's small and light, and a stellar performer for the money, though does distort about as much as the 24-120. Finally for the work you do, take a look at the 28-300G -- outstanding optical performance in a lens just slightly larger than the 24-120 and a bit less expensive to boot.
Thank you for the reply, Jack. The 24-70 is out of the question for many reasons; price, size, weight and weight distribution. I've been wondering about the 28-300, particularly now that I'm going to use it on the D700. I'll take a look and see if I can find a good copy around here. I also looked at the Tamron 24-70, but there's something about the build quality of the Tamron lenses. Zoom action feels as if two pieces of plastic are rubbed against each other. Maybe that's because that is exactly what it is :)

One of my favourite lenses is still the 80-200 AF-S that I bought used 10 years ago. It was the ugliest and also the cheapest copy they had in the shop, but it performs. I seriously consider buying another copy or simply sending the one I have in for full service, including change of AF motor.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

alternatively go with a couple of light primes, like e.g.:
AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G (350 gram)
plus AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G (330 gram)
I'm aware I'm repeating myself when saying this, just wanted to remind about the primes advantages wrt. image quality
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/53781-nikon-travel-world-kit.html#post632044
it is of course the everlasting convenience-vs-IQ delemma

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

alternatively go with a couple of light primes, like e.g.:
AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G (350 gram)
plus AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G (330 gram)
I'm aware I'm repeating myself when saying this, just wanted to remind about the primes advantages wrt. image quality
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/53781-nikon-travel-world-kit.html#post632044
it is of course the everlasting convenience-vs-IQ delemma

©lick for actual pixels

But I have a prime kit, Steen, and I prefer to use it over any zoom. It currently consists of the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 (a great copy), Nikkor 28mm f/2.0 AiS (I consider replacing this, but with what? A plastic lens? Hmmmmm...), Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AiS (very good), Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 (nice lens, but might be replaced with the AF 2.0 or even the Zeiss 100mm) and the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AF. The challenge is when I only want to carry one lens, no bag, and leave the rest of the stuff at home or at the hotel room.

I'm probably a weirdo even looking upon this as a problem, since my 24-120mm is rather sharp and not dull like many consumer zooms, but I'm always trying to improve stuff, and one more important things: experience has taught me that I prefer the "look" of lens designs based in the film era over the contemporary, neutral looking constructions. It's kind of Humanity vs. Computers, and although the computers are winning, I prefer Humanity. Yes, I'm a weirdo :loco:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another interesting idea:
If I try the 28-300 and find it satisfying, an interesting thought would be to carry one DX and one FX body for when I want longer reach. The corners of the 28-300 would supposedly also be sharper on the DX. Then I could carry the Zeiss 21mm for use on the FX body. 21-450mm in two lenses. That sounds like a compact travel kit to me :)

They do have a used copy at my pusher's place where I'm going tomorrow to pick up a Samyang fisheye for the GM5 this week anyway :shocked:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Another interesting idea:
If I try the 28-300 and find it satisfying, an interesting thought would be to carry one DX and one FX body for when I want longer reach.
Or you could just shoot it as-is on your D810 and crop later to suit.

Oh wait a minute....

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Or you could just shoot it as-is on your D810 and crop later to suit.

Oh wait a minute....

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Evil, Jack, very evil. I'll find some bad tempered Asian spirit and advise him how to cross The Pacific :lecture:

- - - Updated - - -

:angel: exactly my thinking, and a brilliant excuse for buying a D500 :eek:
As if I needed that :ROTFL: