The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Late but great D810 review

danielmoore

I swapped my D800E for a D810 very recently and am still learning how to take advantage of it's benefits. At first they seemed to me to be minimal, I'm coming to appreciate that they are not in fact. Jack made a comment a while back that struck a chord, that he can't see anything replacing it any time soon for image quality (to paraphrase) for his use. I was really taken with the D800E coming from a D700, dynamic range being very high on my list of needs as an interior photographer. More is definitely better and I'm loving the seemingly improved color as well. In some situations the D800E made green go yellow to an ugly level. I'm pretty happy with the D810's greens overall regardless of the raw converter used.

I shoot tethered in C1 and make a point of satisfying my clients with a fit screen view as well as 100% mag. views of a given scene. The extra acuity isn't lost on me, having the low pass negating filter removed.

Pretty happy with the ability to actually judge sharpness (not just Relative sharpness) on the LCD finally as well. The D800E was a total mess at 100%. Incremental upgrade yes, but a worthwhile one to be sure.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This review exactly shows what I know already since using the D810 now for over half a year. This is definitely the best all-round camera available today ....

And the main reason I am still in Nikon land :cool:

JohnBrew

I like my D810 quite a bit. On paper it might not look like much of an upgrade, but the more I use it (I've had it almost 2 years) the more I find to like. Image quality with a Zeiss Otus is unparalleled. I still have to mess about with the color. A Color Checker profile helped but not the complete solution.
When I damaged the shutter and had to send it in and it was away for two weeks, that's when I realized how important it was to my photography. I don't know how Nikon will make an upgrade which would tempt my money.
As to the review, dp nailed it.

Patrick Collard

I have owned many a camera in my 27 years of photography. The D810 is one of the best for anything except sports. It is my go to landscape and portrait camera. I am in the process of adding some Zeiss ZF.2 lenses to kit for the landscape stuff. I would like to hear thoughts from those of you who have used the 70-200mm f4 vs Zeiss glass in those focal lengths.

wattsy

It's the only digital camera that I own now. I mainly use 35mm film but when I want/need digital the D810 is a fantastic all-round camera, suitable for everything bar the most demanding applications.