The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- Yummy !!!

Hulyss Bowman

I do not really like the picture in itself because she's technically crap, but it give the general mood of this lens yes. Of course I'm not the author of those pictures... Simple google image search and links over here to avoid one more click bait or whatever.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Full size samples here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/petapixel/sets/72157668716365503

When looking at the samples, I get a feeling that this lens is somehow in the same category as the 58mm f/1.4, although sharper wide open. It renders beautifully and is plenty sharp, but it will require a skilled photographer to achieve the best results. It is absolutely possible to take boring photos with this thing, as some of the samples show. I will give it a go as soon as I can afford it, working towards my long term (2-3 years) Nikon project: 15mm (Irix), 21mm (Zeiss), 35mm, 58mm, 105mm, hopefully a new 180mm and the 300mm pf at the long end.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
New Nikon 105 f/1.4 soon. Yummy !!!

while we are waiting for the real thing, here's the poor man's 105mm .-)
Nikon AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm

small, light, cheap - and slow
unfortunately it's manual focus only, otherwise it would be all I needed

no willing portrait model at hand
you will have to do with a humble bumblebee

© • All the above with Nikon D500 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • at f/2.5 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D

© • The last two with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or the other poor man's 105/1.4 --- the 105/2 DC.

~~~

And a "real world" image, albeit at f4:

Swissblad

while we are waiting for the real thing, here's the poor man's 105mm .-)
Nikon AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm

small, light, cheap - and slow
unfortunately it's manual focus only....

© • The last two with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Wow, you have a lovely copy of that lens......:thumbup:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or the other poor man's 105/1.4 --- the 105/2 DC.

Probably my favorite Nikkor Jack.
I can't argue ;) There is a look to the 105 DC that is difficult to define but somehow delicious to my eyes. But admittedly the bokeh on the new lens appears smoother, and it definitely has a good look that is different from the DC -- I'm just not sure I find it "better" to my eyes than the 105DC...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
While we are waiting for the real thing

While we are waiting for the real thing - II

And then there's the fast "poor man's 105mm", the AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S
I believe Jorgen has the AI-S version of that lens - unless he has now sold it :shocked:

It's tale 59 - AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S among so far fifty-eight other lens tales in the Nikkor story section,
where you can read about the design of some of your favorite lenses from the old days

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights The Thousand and One Nights | NIKKOR

"The history of Nikon cameras has always gone hand in hand with the history of NIKKOR lenses.
Haruo Sato and Kouichi Ohshita will alternately add chapters to the serial story: "The Thousand and One Nights," of Nikkor lenses.
Randomly selected topics covering the unique NIKKOR lenses will feature interesting tales on the design and manufacturing."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: While we are waiting for the real thing

While we are waiting for the real thing - II

And then there's the fast "poor man's 105mm", the AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S
I believe Jorgen has the AI-S version of that lens - unless he has now sold it :shocked:

It's tale 59 - AI Nikkor 105mm f/1.8S among so far fifty-eight other lens tales in the Nikkor story section,
where you can read about the design of some of your favorite lenses from the old days

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights The Thousand and One Nights | NIKKOR

"The history of Nikon cameras has always gone hand in hand with the history of NIKKOR lenses.
Haruo Sato and Kouichi Ohshita will alternately add chapters to the serial story: "The Thousand and One Nights," of Nikkor lenses.
Randomly selected topics covering the unique NIKKOR lenses will feature interesting tales on the design and manufacturing."
I still have he 105/1.8, and although I've put it up for sale, I've set the price unrealistically high, so it probably stays. I'm mostly using m4/3 cameras at the moment, but might buy a Speed Booster to use that Nikkor on the E-M1.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
IMHO there is far too much hype about this lens!

I used to have several versions of the 1.4/85, the last one being the 1.4/85G and especially with that last version I was not happy.

I cannot see the 1.4/105 being mich better IQ wise, but for sure much much more heavy and larger in size ;)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I received this lens when it first was released in late August . It is by far the best Nikkor (IMHO) with maybe the exception of the 200/2 and the 400/2.8 telephotos . Paired with a D5 you can shoot sports (tennis) wide open (F1.4) and rarely miss focus .

My apology for being so far behind in post processing that I don t have decent examples (yet ). I used the lens extensively in a week shooting the US Open Tennis . Its in a special category and worthy of the hype .