The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- Yummy !!!

Hulyss Bowman

Magic mostly come from the moment ;) But if I take the 105 it will be mostly for video purpose. I need longer than 105mm. I already ditched all my 85 because... every body shoot 85. So mainstream. I really like the 180, pretty unique.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Magic mostly come from the moment ;) But if I take the 105 it will be mostly for video purpose. I need longer than 105mm. I already ditched all my 85 because... every body shoot 85. So mainstream. I really like the 180, pretty unique.

This is a great topic for another thread -- why or how as photographers, do we migrate to a certain lens focal length?

Speaking for myself, I have several focals I migrate to by instinct. Mostly, they have not changed for 40 years, but in some cases they have. My goto focals used to be 28, 50 or 55, 105, 180 or 200. As of late -- and especially with high-resolution digital -- they've morphed to more 24/50/85/180. I think the reason why I've migrated a little wider on my main wide and short tele is simply sensor "cropability" -- having a little extra room to work with on those focals sort of gives me 6 focals in those 4 lenses.

For whatever reason, I have never jumped into the 35mm with both feet. And in fact, not even sure why I keep the 35 ART. And now even considering letting go of my 28/1.4 ASPH... Hmmmm...

Swissblad

Great idea for a thread, Jack.

I never was a fan of 35mm, until I got the Fuji X100... which has a 35mm equivalent FOV.... I was so taken by it that I got the Sigma 35mm ART.... which I now love using on the D500...although I never liked 50mm before....so go figure....:grin:

So come on, folks, share your experience with us.....:thumbup:

rayyan

Congratulations, to all those who bought the lens.

No envy from my side as it weighs more than my wife and me combined.:shocked:

I shall enjoy images by you folks though...;)

Best.

JCT

Sorry in advance for quality, but nonstop travel lately, no time for processing - this is a barely touched jpeg. Out for a walk with my eldest on a cold Austin morning, hadn't seen her in months and months. Literally the first time I had used the 105 f/1.4 , basically stuck it on my Df and tossed it in my Ona Bowery and went walking. More or less a grab shot. Looking forward to really working with the file AND this combo,but for now I am very pleased that I treated myself to this lens.

Happy (late) New Years all.

dwood

reviving this thread for a moment: I really like the rendering of this lens. Not being a Nikkor lens guy, except for the 70-200 f/4, I'm curious if other lenses in the Nikkor ecosystem draw in a similar way or if this 105 is unique in that regard.

-Doug

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
reviving this thread for a moment: I really like the rendering of this lens. Not being a Nikkor lens guy, except for the 70-200 f/4, I'm curious if other lenses in the Nikkor ecosystem draw in a similar way or if this 105 is unique in that regard.

-Doug
Doug,

IMHO, a general list and by no means complete, but yes many Nikkors render this way and why I came back to Nikon after a few years with Canon. Here is a short list, and hopefully others will add to and/or disagree so you can get a better idea:

85/1.4 G almost identical;
200/2, maybe even more of that character;
135 and 105 DC's, although neither is perhaps quite as sharp, but character is there;
58/1.4;
28/1.4 asph, surprisingly similar for a wide.

dwood

Doug,

IMHO, a general list and by no means complete, but yes many Nikkors render this way and why I came back to Nikon after a few years with Canon. Here is a short list, and hopefully others will add to and/or disagree so you can get a better idea:

85/1.4 G almost identical;
200/2, maybe even more of that character;
135 and 105 DC's, although neither is perhaps quite as sharp, but character is there;
58/1.4;
28/1.4 asph, surprisingly similar for a wide.
Thanks for this, Jack - very useful for me! I think I'm going to rent the 105 and take it for a spin, and will now also look into these other lenses. Think I may also take a look at the 28 and 58 that you mention.

-Doug

bernardl

The more I use this lens the more I love it.

I would agree that this lens alone is reason plenty to stick to Nikon. The amazing AF of the D5 working very well with it also. I am really looking forward to the D820, my only concern being that my H6D-100c will probably see a lot less usage after it is released. There are simply no MF lens coming close to this 105mm f1.4. I haven't used my Otus 85mm f1.4 for months after I got the 105mm f1.4.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: I've taken the liberty of editing the title of this thread as the lens is no longer "soon" and won't be all that "new" in another few months either. And of course want to keep it going since the images are worthy of a continued thread dedicated to it! :thumbs:

jduncan

Canon just released the 85mm f14 IS !!!
Basically killing Zeiss, Sigma, and Tamron in a single stroke in that focal length.
That means that:
1) f1.4 stabilized lenses are possible in practical terms.
2) The price of the lens is fantastical. I don't know if it will match the performance of the Sigma, but if it does it will be a game changer for the guys on the other side of the fence.
3) For us, Nikon shooters: I hope that Nikon sees this and the replacement of the 135mm f2.0 DC is a fast, high-resolution VR lens (maybe f1.8) and a good price. I hope the Sigma and the Tamron (too much vignetting) pricess fall a little.

From the news letter:
Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 85mm focal-length lenses are traditionally very sought-after options for portrait photographers. With that in mind, Canon is expanding its EF 85mm line up with the introduction of the new Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM; the first Canon EF 85mm lens to feature image stabilization, providing up to four stops* of shake correction for smooth and crisp imagery.

The EF 85mm utilizes one large diameter, high-precision molded glass aspherical lens and features an ASC coating. The large f/1.4 aperture produces shallow depth-of-field, fast shutter speeds and a bright image inside the viewfinder, allowing photographers to focus and compose their image reliably. In addition, a circular aperture with 9-blade iris allows for beautiful bokeh.

The New Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS USM is scheduled to be available November 2017 for an estimated retail price of $1599.00††.