The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFS 300/2.8 VR II + converter vs. AFS 400/2.8 VR ?

Thomas73

Hi all,

Do you have some feedback about the comparison of these 2 lenses ? The 300/2.8 VR II has a big advantage to be lighter and more compact and also a stellar performer but the 400/2.8 VR is often shown a stellar performer too, even with converters...

I have the opportunity to get demo models of each of these lenses at about the same price (which is a bargain for the 400/2.8 VR!)...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Note : I use a D4s.

Swissblad

I only have experience with the 300mm F2.8, which is a stellar lens - and handles well with TC's.
The 400mm f2.8 is superb as well, although quite a bit heftier.
Both lenses are best without TC's.
Query - what are you after....what subject matter do you want to photograph?
If you need more reach - go for the 400mm - but even that may not be enough - you may need to look at a 500 or 600mm.
If you like a small package - try the 300mm - but in that case also have a serious look at the 300mm f4.0 PF.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
From my experience (own and use both lenses) the 400/2.8 Vr is much better than the 300/2.8 with the 1.4 converter . If you will be shooting primarily at 400mm I would advise you to buy the 400/2.8 .

Nikon has a newer version of the 400/2.8 that is lighter and has essentially the same overall performance ...be sure to check the Nikon website and read a few tests on the new lens . You don t but a super telephoto all that often and you can expect to have it a long time .

At the 300mm FOV I went to the smaller portable 300/4 FE lens ..because I can take it into places where the super telephotos would be a issue . I have to work harder in post processing to get the results I want but they can still be quite excellent .