The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need advice on a 20...

jph

Though I tend to gravitate towards prime lenses, and own the 20G now, I still miss my old 17-35mm. Would you be buying a new 17-35?
Jim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Though I tend to gravitate towards prime lenses, and own the 20G now, I still miss my old 17-35mm. Would you be buying a new 17-35?
Jim
If I could buy my old one back, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#Now where is that kick myself in the butt emoticon?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just ordered another 17-35 --- fingers crossed that it's a good copy :facesmack:

jsf

I have a 17-35 which I no longer use, it is as sharp at 20mm as is my 55 micro. It is a fantastic lens. But I purchased the 20mm G f/1.8 about 18 months ago and I have to say it is a superior lens. It is as sharp or sharper than the 17-35 weighs about 12 oz. I wish I wasn't so busy printing and framing for my shows (I have three shows this winter) I would have visited the site , seen the thread and "viola" Jack would have had a new lens. (it is my sense of humor, viola that is). Although I think you would have been happiest with the 20mm f/1.8

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a 17-35 which I no longer use, it is as sharp at 20mm as is my 55 micro. It is a fantastic lens. But I purchased the 20mm G f/1.8 about 18 months ago and I have to say it is a superior lens. It is as sharp or sharper than the 17-35 weighs about 12 oz. I wish I wasn't so busy printing and framing for my shows (I have three shows this winter) I would have visited the site , seen the thread and "viola" Jack would have had a new lens. (it is my sense of humor, viola that is). Although I think you would have been happiest with the 20mm f/1.8
Jack still may be interested -- especially if the one I just bought isn't great!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've been away from this forum for quite awhile and have returned recently since I've just ordered a D810. Nice to see (?) you all again.

This thread is of real interest since I've been wondering if my existing lens setup for my D700 will be up to the requirements of the D810. Of special concern was the 17-35 I have and love on the D700. I had almost settled on the idea of buying a 20 prime. But now, with all the enthusiasm for the 17-35, I'm feeling like I may not need to spend that money. Is that a reasonable conclusion to make from those of you who've been D8XX users for awhile?

Thanks!
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Welcome home Tim!

So the seller of the original 17-35 above flaked out on me, but now JSF is considering selling me his. However, I sold mine initially for 3 reasons: size/weight, slowish AF and extreme corner performance lacked -- edges to center were very good, but the extreme corners were visibly soft. IOW, it is a great lens for what it is but it isn't a prime, and so now I'm back to leaning toward a prime. And the prime will be the 20G...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack! Well, darn. I have spent the past couple of days waiting for my shipment of the D810 from B&H to arrive and feeling like maybe my 17-35 will be just fine. But you just burst my bubble! Still, it sounds like the lens is competent enough to let me get started with the new body. Meanwhile, I'll subconsciously start the mental process of talking myself into at least one new lens. In a couple of weeks, my resolve will be toast and I'll end up back at the store.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

Don't misunderstand, it is still a very good lens on the D810! It's only real warts are size/weight and sluggish AF compared to newer designs -- the poor corners can be handled by shooting a few mm loose and cropping. Here is an example, shot at 25mm and cropped to about 26/7mm FOV (f8 on tripod). In reality, I wish I had shot this more at 22-ish and cropped to 25, but it turned out pretty good regardless.* I have printed this at 20x30 and it looks great:

*HOWEVER! As an aside explanation, I bought the 24 ART simply because my "normal" wide landscapes all hovered right around 24mm regardless; and the ART is so good I sold the 17-35. And I have not missed it until now, when I only really want a 20 for some candid/street type work; and of course that's why I'm leaning toward the smaller, faster AF prime. Hope this clarifies my waffling a bit ;)

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Jack: Whew. That makes me feel a tad better. Beautiful example you provided. And to be honest, I've never been one to take a microscope to my images in search of perfect sharpness everywhere. So I should be OK for at least a little while. Having taken a sabbatical from Photography for a few years while involved in a building project, I'm anxious to get back and am delighted to discover things like Art and Otus lenses. Thanks again for the clarification.

Cindy: It's nice to be back and thanks for your welcome!

p.s. I'm attaching a small photo of part of the project that took my attention away from cameras, etc.

main.trusses.1.jpg

PJA

I own the 20mm f/1.8g and the copy I have is very sharp on the D810. I also have a (sharp) Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 (previously also the Nikon 14-24mm) and carried out a side by side comparison on a tripod at f/8 and 20mm when I first got it. When viewed 100%, the Nikon 20mm is noticeable sharper than the Tamron all across the frame and especially in the foreground and brighter in the corners. I process my RAW files with DxO to correct distortion and vignetting.

Also does excellent sunbursts at f16.

Highly recommended.

Michiel Schierbeek

It is also worth to look into the Tamron 15-30/2.8 in nikon mount. It gets great reviews and seems to be supurb from 15 to 24. Exactly what you need. The only con is that it is bulky.

Oohps I see you already bought the 17-35