The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Lenses

Swissblad

I'm interested in the 19mm, but it will really depend on the local price structure..... which at the moment is listed as almost 800$.- more than in the US.

:wtf:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great to see some new lens releases from Nikon, keeps their system kind of alive!

Anyway I just bought the latest 70-200/2.8 last autumn and I will very likely not upgrade to this one.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here are some test Jpegs:
http://www.cameraegg.org/pc-nikkor-19mm-f4e-ed-tilt-shift-lens-sample-images/
Good, but could be better for that price.
Looks like my Cambo with SK Super-Digitar 28 will stay my major set for architecture.
Im interested how it handles back light situations....

Regards,
Ben
To start with, this is not a lens I would make a decision on after seeing a few jpegs online (they download fast, so must be rather compressed). Also, the images in the link lack information about how much tilt/shift was involved with each photo. When that is said, I think they look pretty decent, and making a 19mm is clearly a different challenge from a 28mm lens. But I lack the monies, the need and even a camera to use it with, so I might not be the most reliable source of opinions for this lens :D

Ben730

To start with, this is not a lens I would make a decision on after seeing a few jpegs online (they download fast, so must be rather compressed). Also, the images in the link lack information about how much tilt/shift was involved with each photo. When that is said, I think they look pretty decent, and making a 19mm is clearly a different challenge from a 28mm lens. But I lack the monies, the need and even a camera to use it with, so I might not be the most reliable source of opinions for this lens :D
You are right Jorgen, no decision but the pictures give an impression, and I think I will order this lens anyway.
The SK 28 Super-Digitar XL has a comparable angle when used with a 33 x 44 mm Sensor,
that's why I compare them.
Sometimes I need/want the advantages of a Nikon Dslr over a Cambo/PhaseOne(CCD) combination, also for architecture....

Swissblad

Agree - pricing is crazy - local price is ≈ 4080.-

If priced like the Canon TS 17mm, it would have been a snap.

In this case I'll pass - just too dear for a rarely used piece of glass.

danielmoore

A revised and much improved 24 T/S would have been a better move, IMO.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that apart from a few early adopters, my predicted poor sales will force it down several hundred after a few months. Not wishful thinking as I don't plan to ever buy one, just seems likely to me that they missed the mark with this one.

Dustbak

The 19 appears really interesting. Finally tilt and shift can be used independently fromeach other intead of always at a 90 degree angle from each other ( unless you want to put a screwdriver in the lens and change that to perpendicular).

The 70-200 is probably better than the previous one especially the minimal focussing distance and the focus breathing but WTF!!! Changing the zoom and focus rings??? Based on feedback from photographers? Who was that??