The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lens?

rayyan

Jack's post in the thread got me thinking. As a result, I have sore and painful arms.

I have been trying out the Fuji 16-55/2.8 and the Nikon 24-120/4 for hours at a stretch to determine which one would I prefer to carry with me.
I reached the conclusion, very subjectively,...neither!

Jack mentioned in passing that the primes he might/would/does carry ( with maybe a new 18mm AF...congrats ) are the Nikon 24/1.8G, 50/1.8G, 85/1.8G

Now as chance would have it, I have the 50/1.8G, the 85/1.8G.
I also have the Fuji 35/1.4 and the 56/1.2...very roughly the equivalent of the Nikons.

I need one more..the 24/1.8G or the Fuji 16/1.4 to use on the Df and/or the XPRO-2 respectively.

Which one would you folks suggest? may I know why?, please.

Thank you all.

( Thank you Jack. )

Swissblad

Hi Rayyan

it really depends which camera body or system you prefer using..... both the Nikkor 24mm f1.8G and the Fuji alternative are excellent lenses......as are the others in your collection....

The conundrum that you have is the reason why I didn't expand further into the Fuji X series after I got the X-T1...... as I would end up with 2 rather similar sets pf lenses / focal lengths and be at a loss at what system to choose.

Now that we have the D500 at our disposal, it makes more sense for me to stick to Nikon - where I already have a broad lens / body base.

Don't know if this makes sense, or is any help.....:grin:

Cheers, S ;)

rayyan

Thanks Swissblad.
It definitely helps, since you experienced the same quandary that I am in now.

Honestly, I don't ( can't ? ) make a decision..yet. Nikon I love to shoot with.
Fuji I love to travel with.

Heck, I only shoot when I travel.

Stay well S.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi Rayyan
I once borrowed an APS-C sensor Fuji X-T1 with e.g. Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 R plus some other lenses, and made a fairly direct and controlled tripod-supported comparison with my full-frame Nikon D610 with e.g. AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 plus some other of my F-mount lenses.

For me it was a very easy choice to just keep the full-frame Nikon system, a decision I admittedly also expected on beforehand.
I only made the comparison out of curiosity, I didn't really imagine I would be tempted to change system and start over again.
So it is fair to say I was biased before I even started the test, but fortunately the test served as a confirmation that I should just keep what I already had.

So with that system choice - and my bias - out of the way, I would recommend the two Nikkor lenses you already have and then add a wide angle lens.
E.g. the 24mm f1/8 which I have never tried, OR the 28mm f1/8 which I own and like (except for the build quality: the focus ring feels somewhat sloppy), sample photo here.

My personal two lens kit, when I want to travel light, is actually just: 28mm f/1.8 + 85mm f/1.8
like I also showed in the Nikon travel the world kit thread, where you may be able to find further inspiration.

©lick for actual pixels

© • captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50mm ZF • 1/13 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX-D

Last edited:

Godfrey

With most cameras, over many years, most of my shooting has been done with 35-40, 75-90, and 20-24 mm FoV (35mm full frame reference format). I occasionally use a little longer (135-200 mm) and a little more in the middle (50-60 mm).

So if you already have the 50 and the 85, and you shoot like I do, buy the 24mm and be done. You've likely seen enough of my posts to know what "shoot like I do" means by now... :toocool: (I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just what I do ... :angel:)

G

Postscript:

- Nowadays, with the Leica M, I find I carry one of two lens pairs: either 35-75 or 28-50. When I fit the WATE, I don't carry anything else and just concentrate on shooting in the ultra-wide.

- With the Leica SL, I'm all over the map and keep mixing and matching between pairs of lenses or the 24-90 zoom. Such is the burden of a much more flexible camera system... !

Hulyss Bowman

Jack's post in the thread got me thinking. As a result, I have sore and painful arms.

I have been trying out the Fuji 16-55/2.8 and the Nikon 24-120/4 for hours at a stretch to determine which one would I prefer to carry with me.
I reached the conclusion, very subjectively,...neither!

Jack mentioned in passing that the primes he might/would/does carry ( with maybe a new 18mm AF...congrats ) are the Nikon 24/1.8G, 50/1.8G, 85/1.8G

Now as chance would have it, I have the 50/1.8G, the 85/1.8G.
I also have the Fuji 35/1.4 and the 56/1.2...very roughly the equivalent of the Nikons.

I need one more..the 24/1.8G or the Fuji 16/1.4 to use on the Df and/or the XPRO-2 respectively.

Which one would you folks suggest? may I know why?, please.

Thank you all.

( Thank you Jack. )
My experience recoup Steen's experience with fuji cameras. I owned the XT-1 with the good lenses and, while it is a good material to make photography, I ended up selling everything. This is simply not a tool like a D700 or D800. The Xpro/T 2 refine a bit the system but yet, it is not that. At a raw level, RAF files aren't NEF files (Xtrans is not refined bayer). I also modified my computer to display NEF in the system without the need of rw engine (NEF codec). I do not know if it is possible with RAF. Working with two or more type of raw is also an hassle (for me).

So, if I were you, I would completely ditch the fuji system without any regrets.

Early in 2017 you'll have the choice between 3 fantastic cameras for travel, the Nikon DL line, and by the end of 2017 we might have a new FX or a mirror less.

Nikon | Imaging Products | DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8

Forget about Leica ...

algrove

Thanks Swissblad.
It definitely helps, since you experienced the same quandary that I am in now.

Honestly, I don't ( can't ? ) make a decision..yet. Nikon I love to shoot with.
Fuji I love to travel with.

Heck, I only shoot when I travel.

Stay well S.
Looks to me you answered your own question in the above post.

FF and APS-C are diffcult comparisons, but for me it comes down to what do I do with my images, especially travel images. Small prints up to 13x19 and web images for me are fine with any system. Having said that I just sold my M cameras and 60 lenses, my Pentax 645Z and now love the size and quality of my XT2 images. Sure I have an XF+100 for large landscapes and big prints, but even though I am new to that system the weight will force me out of that beautiful system sooner than later. Maybe the GFX will replace everything.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Working with two or more type of raw is also an hassle (for me).
This is an interesting discussion that deserves a separate thread, and one of the reasons why I keep swapping between Nikon and Panasonic, which have RAW files that require similar PP, while other systems all have been have been thrown out rather quickly.

As for Rayyan's initial question, I also have to agree with Hulyss: As long as you use primes, Nikon's weight disadvantage isn't much to worry about, and as long as you don't do video, I can't see much advantage using Fuji unless you prefer their files. If you really want to save weight, you would have to "sensor downsize" further, to m4/3, and even then, there are lenses and camera bodies that are similar in weight to those of Nikon.

rayyan

thanks guys for your replies.

You folks don't make it easy for a simple person to decide:D

Valuable insights and all valid opinions.

Great forum!

algrove

Just realized you use the pro-2. You might try renting or borrowing an xt-2 before finalizing the decision. I can help with quick setup ideas if needed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'll take a different tack and make it really easy for you. The fact you "love shooting the Nikon" ultimately answers the question. IMHO there is a big artistic advantage to working with a tool you prefer; because we usually prefer it for specific reasons like fit to our body and resultant ease of use, and then fit to our artistic style and resultant enhanced output -- a double-win.

Now you just need your "ideal trio" of glass and you already have 2/3rds of it! So add the 24 and done!

See how easy this was?
:ROTFL:

Oh wait a minute.... Now which 24???

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Swissblad

I'll take a different tack and make it really easy for you. The fact you "love shooting the Nikon" ultimately answers the question. IMHO there is a big artistic advantage to working with a tool you prefer; because we usually prefer it for specific reasons like fit to our body and resultant ease of use, and then fit to our artistic style and resultant enhanced output -- a double-win.

Now you just need your "ideal trio" of glass and you already have 2/3rds of it! So add the 24 and done!

See how easy this was?
:ROTFL:

Oh wait a minute.... Now which 24???

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well put Jack!

:clap:

Unfortunately I put off selling my X-T1 for far too long - unlike fine wines - digital bodies do not appreciate over time.......but I never really bonded with it... so its time to cut my loss and move on...:cry:

As to the 24mm - a strong contender for me would be the Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART..... unless weight, bulk and size is a issue......:angel:

Shashin

I have used a Nikon D800 and D600. Great cameras, but I never really bonded with them (they are too big for a small camera and too small for a big camera). However, I have recently gone to a Fuji X Pro 2 with a 14mm, 23mm f/2, and an adapted 90mm f/4 Minolta CLE Rokkor lens on the Fuji m-mount adapter. I am partial to rangefinders and I am just enjoying using it. I have also just come back from a 9-day road trip. It was a great travel setup and much lighter than a D800/D600 comparable system would have been.

But having said that, the best system is the one you use. I have used some big, heavy cameras, but I did enjoy using them. I have had some small camera, but they never really clicked with me. The X Pro2 is just one of those cameras I enjoy. I have made 40" prints from the files and they are really nice.

If you want to travel with the Fuji, I might suggest going with the 14 f/2.8 lens rather than the 16mm. The 16mm is faster, but it is also bigger. But having been a medium-format and large-format shooter for most of my life, f/2.8 always seems fast. I would be afraid to use an f/1.4 lens in case it gave me whiplash...

algrove

I have always liked Zeiss glass so I have an x-mount Touit 12/2.8 coming in order to avoid any whiplash, but I do sometimes get it with my 16/1.4.:LOL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As to the 24mm - a strong contender for me would be the Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART..... unless weight, bulk and size is a issue......:angel:
Agreed -- especially since it is about the best performing 24 available and about the same price as the Nikkor 24/1.8. (I love mine.)

BUT if size/weight are concerns and optical speed isn't critical (usually not in a wide), then the older 24/2.8 AF-D is a stellar performer optically, even smaller and lighter than the 24/1.8, and still available new for about half the cost of the Nikkor 1.8. :thumbs:

Dogs857

As you don't seem to be adverse to mf lenses how about the Nikon 24mm 2.8Ais??
It's small, light, cheap and an excellent performer.

Looks good on the Df too :p

rayyan

Folks, thanks a lot :salute:

I am down with a severe bout of flu...I live alone:wtf:
All have deserted me to go and stay with their family members.

' don't call us..we shall call you ' was the message my wife sent me.

Man, this is a flu with a vengeance. And after having had my flu shots months ago.

Hulyss Bowman

I have always liked Zeiss glass so I have an x-mount Touit 12/2.8 coming in order to avoid any whiplash, but I do sometimes get it with my 16/1.4.:LOL:
Sorry to break the hype but the touit line isn't what I expect from Zeiss... Especially the Touit 12mm I bought around 900€ ..... just crap. The mix between APS-C / Xtrans and mhe lense isn't my cup of tea. The resale value + the paypal cut was the worst I ever experienced. XT1, grip, 23f1.4, 35f1.4, 56f1.4, 18-55 and 12mm touit....

If you want some raw files with the touit combo just ask.

To make it short, there is a world between Nikon and fuji resale value. Nikon gear keep a lot of value in time, like leica somehow while fuji ... it's like sony.

algrove

Sorry to break the hype but the touit line isn't what I expect from Zeiss... Especially the Touit 12mm I bought around 900€ ..... just crap. The mix between APS-C / Xtrans and mhe lense isn't my cup of tea. The resale value + the paypal cut was the worst I ever experienced. XT1, grip, 23f1.4, 35f1.4, 56f1.4, 18-55 and 12mm touit....

If you want some raw files with the touit combo just ask.

To make it short, there is a world between Nikon and fuji resale value. Nikon gear keep a lot of value in time, like leica somehow while fuji ... it's like sony.
Thanks. Just got the Touit 12 today and immediately tried iton XT2. Corners look very good at 200% on my 30" monitor. Got mine new for US$650 as all Fuji lenses have been on sale here for 30 days minimum, but still not cheap if in fact it is lousy. I can return until 1 Feb if need be.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
best wishes for a quick recovery

Folks, thanks a lot :salute:
I am down with a severe bout of flu...I live alone :wtf:
All have deserted me to go and stay with their family members.

' don't call us..we shall call you ' was the message my wife sent me.

Man, this is a flu with a vengeance. And after having had my flu shots months ago.

Rayyan, our friend, I'm sure that I'm speaking for everyone here when I say that we wish you a Happy New Year and hope you will quickly get better :thumbup: